Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Ultimate Cable Connection Stability issue

Hello there i was just wondering if anyone was able to be of any assistance to me, will try to give as much information as possible.

Description of Problem:

I have recently moved house and got a Telstra Ultimate connection, however over the past month or so, myself and my family have been experiencing wierd problems with our internet and i am unsure how to label it. Basically when someone is watching a video on youtube, the video will randomly stop and pause for a second. And I have isolated the problem to my internet connection through making sure it is no my computer or TV. However I am unsure if the problem is internal or external to my network. The problem also exists when members of my family are playing online games on computers and consoles such as our xbox and playstation. The game will have a sudden framerate drop and then freeze a little and a few seconds will have passed in the game, this happens quite reguraly now. 

When i got to speed tests i am getting amazing speeds of about 110-90Mps and have done packet loss tests which all come back with a zero packet loss and a B grade connection however it is just become to unstable to play games online and directly stream video's on. and have checked its not the games server's either by going to friends house's with the telstra ultimate as well and it worked perfectly at thier houses. 

Network Setup:

My Network consits of the following:

Everthing is connected to the central cable modem (Netgear CG3100D -2) and am planning on getting a switch eventually so the network setup doesnt involve so many switches but this shouldnt be the cause because it was working very well for a month or 2 when I first recieved it at my new house. 

Network Setup.png

Gateway status: 

Information

Standard Specification Compliant             EuroDOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.0

Hardware Version           2.02

Software Version             5.5.5.83.mp2.V1.05.01

Software Version(Linux)               2.6.30.V1.05.01

Cable MAC Address        20:e5:2a:6c:**:**

Device MAC Address      20:e5:2a:6c:**:**

Cable Modem Serial Number     2YY228UL0169D

CM certificate    Installed

Status

System Up Time               0 days 19h:29m:15s

Network Access               Allowed

Cable Modem IP Address             10.***.*.*

Connection Status:

Startup Procedure

Procedure           Status   Comment

Acquire Downstream Channel   359000000 Hz     Locked

Connectivity State           OK          Operational

Boot State           OK          Operational

Configuration File            OK         

Security                Enabled                BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels

Lock Status         Modulation        Channel ID          Symbol rate        Frequency          Power   SNR        DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS locked

Locked  QAM64 209         6952000 sym/sec              359000000 Hz     2.3 dBmV            37.4 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 210         6952000 sym/sec              367000000 Hz     2.1 dBmV            36.8 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 211         6952000 sym/sec              375000000 Hz     2.1 dBmV            36.8 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 212         6952000 sym/sec              383000000 Hz     2.4 dBmV            37.4 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 213         6952000 sym/sec              391000000 Hz     2.1 dBmV            36.8 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 214         6952000 sym/sec              399000000 Hz     2.0 dBmV            36.5 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 215         6952000 sym/sec              407000000 Hz     2.4 dBmV            36.8 dB EuroDOCSIS

Locked  QAM64 216         6952000 sym/sec              415000000 Hz     2.6 dBmV            37.1 dB EuroDOCSIS

Upstream Bonded Channels

Lock Status         Modulation        Channel ID          Symbol Rate       Frequency          Power

Locked  ATDMA 2              5120 Ksym/sec  53400000 Hz       48.0 dBmV

Not Locked         Unknown            0              0 Ksym/sec         0 Hz        0.0 dBmV

Not Locked         Unknown            0              0 Ksym/sec         0 Hz        0.0 dBmV

Any help would be awesome kind reguards

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 20: Director

Re: Telstra Ultimate Cable Connection Stability issue

In reply: @raygornall

Now I do not want to sound condescending or anything in this reply, so I do apologize if I do sound as such, this is not my intention.

Your SNR seems to be rather low, this is a concern for me.

Do you have Foxtel connected?

Are you running the modem in bridged or router mode?

Have you isolated the problem to the CG3100D-2? (disconnected all network devices and the issue still exists)

Can you please post a screenshot (not a copy/paste) of your modem event log, removing any CM MAC addresses, but leave the CMTS MAC intact.

Have you replaced all Ethernet cable with new one's? Or have you tested them with an Ethernet cable tester? If so, what were the test results?

Are all your wireless devices connected to the CG3100D-2 or your other routers?

EDIT: Do you have PLEX installed?

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

no you do not come of as condescending or anything, and thanks for the quick reply.

No we do not have foxtel

the modem is in router mode still

yes I did isolate the  CG3100D-2 yesterday and the issue still occured.

Screenshot 1.png

Yes i have used a cable tester on all the cables in the network and it doesnt seem to be them and have substituted them with new ones as well and the issue still exists

umm the wireless devices are connected to all three, depending where they are, they are spread across the house and it is extended ie havving same SSID and password but runs of different channels

And i am unsure what PLEX is.. could you advice me how to determine this?  

and thanks for your help so far Smiley Happy

Level 20: Director

In reply: @raygornall

PLEX is a media server. If you do have it installed, remove it and find another solution, such as Subsonic or XBMC, as PLEX will cause issue's with the CG3100D-2, they are documented issue's.

You need to contact BPTS and have a tech look at your modem signal levels, as your upstream is below EuroDOCSIS 3.0 standards.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

how
Level 3: Gumshoe

@gonetodogs wrote:
how

Call 133 933

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit