Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Velocity ports in house

Answered

Hi guys!

I've moved into a new rental over the weekend that is serviced by Telstra Velocity, but I can't find the "wan" connection point they talk about.

On the outside of the property there is a telstra box that says NTD.
In the garage there is a telstra box that looks like battery back up power.
Inside the house there are 3 telephone sockets in different rooms, one of which is at a Foxtel / FTA socket in the wall. When I plug my router into the telephone ports it says there is no dial tone.

According to telstra I need to have a "wan data point" inside the house, but Im pretty sure there isn't any.

I have an ASUS-DSL68 router.

Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Velocity ports in house

Hi - if your premises does not have a special distribution system collocated with the Power Supply, you may have what is called a Simple Home Networking System. The external Telstra NTD provides the Optical Network Termination (ONT) and is powered up by the internal power supply. From the ONT, cables will be fed into the home - in your photo , the right conduit. These cables allow incoming power to be fed to the ONT, then will provide outgoing cables for Data, Telephone and RG6 coax cable to a splitter that Free to Air (FTA) TV and Foxtel into the home. 

Given you don't seem to have a stand alone distribution cabinet, the first photo showing a communication wall outlet may be your Data service - if it doesn't present a dial tone when you connect a wired telephone to it , it could be your Data service. After you do that test, if you have confirmed your service has been enabled by Telstra, you could test for Internet with a PC connected with an Ethernet cable to that socket. It would be usual for a Data outlet to be near a power point so that a Router would connect there. Your telephone service is provided on a separate wall outlet/s.

Your ASUS DSL 68 Router doesn't have a WAN port, so I think LAN port 1 needs to be configured as a WAN port, the DSL port is not used. If you have a Telstra Smart Modem, the red Ethernet socket is the WAN port. Unlike Telstra NBN, Telstra Velocity uses PPPoE signaling on the WAN, so if you are coming from a previous ADSL environment, you will use your same Telstra ID and password credentials, so I would not expect any required change there. 

I will load some some photos up showing how the cabling connections are made - they haven't synchronised up to my PC yet.   

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - if your premises does not have a special distribution system collocated with the Power Supply, you may have what is called a Simple Home Networking System. The external Telstra NTD provides the Optical Network Termination (ONT) and is powered up by the internal power supply. From the ONT, cables will be fed into the home - in your photo , the right conduit. These cables allow incoming power to be fed to the ONT, then will provide outgoing cables for Data, Telephone and RG6 coax cable to a splitter that Free to Air (FTA) TV and Foxtel into the home. 

Given you don't seem to have a stand alone distribution cabinet, the first photo showing a communication wall outlet may be your Data service - if it doesn't present a dial tone when you connect a wired telephone to it , it could be your Data service. After you do that test, if you have confirmed your service has been enabled by Telstra, you could test for Internet with a PC connected with an Ethernet cable to that socket. It would be usual for a Data outlet to be near a power point so that a Router would connect there. Your telephone service is provided on a separate wall outlet/s.

Your ASUS DSL 68 Router doesn't have a WAN port, so I think LAN port 1 needs to be configured as a WAN port, the DSL port is not used. If you have a Telstra Smart Modem, the red Ethernet socket is the WAN port. Unlike Telstra NBN, Telstra Velocity uses PPPoE signaling on the WAN, so if you are coming from a previous ADSL environment, you will use your same Telstra ID and password credentials, so I would not expect any required change there. 

I will load some some photos up showing how the cabling connections are made - they haven't synchronised up to my PC yet.   

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! I managed to get it as you explained. Turned out that the port in the wall was indeed the data service port I was looking for. Because a normal telephone cable also fits in the port, I thought it couldn't be the WAN Ethernet port that I was looking for, but I was wrong!

The ASUS DSL 68 router was fairly simple to set up: you need to enable dual internet mode, and then set WAN on the ethernet port as the primary internet source, and anything else (like DSL) as secondary, which won't get used in this case.
Setting the internet to dual mode is neccessary to enable the menu options to setup WAN on one of the ethernet ports.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Good work and glad to see you are connected. ASUS routers are highly regarded for their flexibility of configuration ; they are manufactured by Arcadyan who also make the Telstra Gen 2 LH:1000 modem but have different customer software. I just back home, so thought I would upload the pictures for reference in case others have the same issue in the future.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit