Cherie7
Level 1: Cadet

Text Message saying that my services will be disconnected soon if I do not switch to NBN

I received the following text message, and I wanted to confirm that this message was legitimate as I have received messages from so called trusted numbers from other companies that have turned out to be a fraud.

It states that "Your services at your home in ********* will be disconnected soon. This means that you will be unable to use your home phone and internet service unless you move to the nbn. You should place an order in the next 10 days, so that we have time to process your order with nbn before disconnection. Please visit Telstra.com/ordernbn to switch to nbn and as an added incentive we're offering you a $100 welcome bonus. Opt out 1800039059."

Is this a scam message or is this ligit?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Text Message saying that my services will be disconnected soon if I do not switch to NBN

It's the correct information for an area where the NBN cutoff is approaching.

You get 18 months from the time that the NBN becomes available in your area (not necessarily your premises) before the old copper based/HFC services get switched off.

To check the cutoff date, go to https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/rollout-map and enter your address, then click on the "more address information" link and it will bring up a popup on the right hand side of the screen which will show the cutoff date near the bottom of the screen.

You want to allow 3 months prior to this cutoff date in order to arrange to switch over, otherwise you may not be able to get an appointment with an NBN Co technician (if required) in time.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit