AAB
Level 4: Private Eye

The never ending NBN nightmare

Answered

After years of reliable HFC cable i've had to swap to NBN. 5 months later this process is still happening.

Telstra has been utterly uncontactable through any channel, due to being outsourced to the wha-hoo and blaming it all on Covid-19 (though other ISPs don't have these challenges), and NBN-Co is incompetent to the point that quite frankly I do not think they deserve an operating license.

Basically finally after many months had the Telstra tech come over and connect my NBN in the pit - it took that long to book and insist I had not in fact been connected – it wasn’t my modem.

Seriously - If one of the help-desk boffins asked me to re-boot my modem one more time I was going to insert it in them.

Of course as soon as he did this it worked perfectly, at the full 100Mbps down speed I paid for, and was stable. Hallelujah!

Or so I thought.

The very next day (as Telstra had put in a call to NBN also but with no further communication) - the separate NBN-Co tech came out, and disconnected me.

And for good measure took out the neighbors voice/PSTN also.

He walked away with my previously working NBN now non-functional, saying as I was getting some speed (<24Mbps) they’ve done their job and it was Telstra who mis-configured the speed (though it was 100Mbps before he arrived).

Turns out it was not even functional at all – the Telstra gateway had gone to 4G backup

A few days later it got up and running.

Then the neighbor who had their voice/PSTN taken out had reported it to get their ISP (I assume Telstra also) to fix - and fixed theirs and disconnected me again.

Even worse this time - red DSL light with the relay clicking like a clock, before it was just flashing blue - I am now dealing, slowly and painfully, with Telstra to rectify to get it back to where it started.

AAB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: The never ending NBN nightmare

The best way of trying to get hold of Telstra is by sending a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response and you get a notification when they do. You can also mark the message as urgent by tapping on the 3 dot icon in the top right of the message screen.

FTTN is a shocking system and some of the NBN Techs don't take enough care when they are working on the terminations, which results in the problems that you are having. Accidently touching other wires causes them to come loose and they need to be reterminated. Unfortunately, they don't know that they've done it until the customer notices the dropouts.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter

Sounds like you've got a couple of fairly useless NBN Co contractors in your area.

The only way to get it rectified is to ask Telstra to organise for another NBN Co technician to come out and fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gotnointernet
Level 2: Rookie

Ok so I have maybe had a similar issue. I’ve had to move to NBN however the day that the NBN tech came out and told me that there aren’t enough ports in the pit for my house to hook into.

Just so happened that on the same day my ADSL stopped working. After more than a month without any internet at all my modem switched to the 4G backup. I’ve been trying to use the txting support service for over 2.5 months now and I still don’t have any internet. 

How have you managed to get onto the NBN? Have you been successful?

AAB

I have tried to contact both Telstra and NBN. NBN is not contactable directly and Telstra is never available or my mobile runs out of power before I get off hold (since landline is off non functional NBN). Sadly my only option has been to escalate to the TIO to get this fixed, they wont respond to anything else.

AAB
JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hi AAB,

The Ombudsman will liaise with Telstra complaints and a case manager will be assigned to investigate and contact you to discuss a resolution. In the meantime I recommend using the messaging service to reach out to the Telstra NBN team so that they can take a look at what's happening for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The best way of trying to get hold of Telstra is by sending a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response and you get a notification when they do. You can also mark the message as urgent by tapping on the 3 dot icon in the top right of the message screen.

FTTN is a shocking system and some of the NBN Techs don't take enough care when they are working on the terminations, which results in the problems that you are having. Accidently touching other wires causes them to come loose and they need to be reterminated. Unfortunately, they don't know that they've done it until the customer notices the dropouts.

View solution in original post

JM6
Level 8: Inspector

I fully understand your problems trying to communicate with Telstra.

They are effectively un-reachable and unhelpful if you do manage to get through to Support.

They read from a script and cannot think out of the box.

They ask the same endless and inane questions, instead of listening to the customer.

"Have you turned on your modem?"

"What is the colour of the light on your modem?"

"Is the modem switched on at the wall?"

etc

etc

etc

Laughable, in a tragic way.

JM6

"I recommend using the messaging service to reach out to the Telstra NBN team"

Sorry, but that isn't possible. Well, it is possible to "reach out" to Telstra, but usually there is no response from humans.

Just the silly chat robot, what's it called, Jodi, Chodi, Tobi ?

I once entered a query on the Telstra app and still had not received a human reply after 7 hours.

Can't get through by phone either...wait times are abominable.

AAB

Lol.

It's like a Vietnam flashback.

AAB
AAB

Precisely

AAB
AAB

Update:

After getting the TIO and ACMA involved NBN is sending out a senior supervisor technician to audit and fix the pit.

Apparently what I mentioned above was just part of the story, there have been other escalations.

I suspect this gent will probably fix it as he will likely know what he is doing, fingers crossed.

I'll be standing at the top of the pit saying "It will connect it properly or else it gets the hose again". :-)

AAB
JM6

Hilarious comment.

No one ever answers the online chat in the Telstra app.

Trust me, I have tried heaps of times.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit