ohhaiijade
Level 5: Eagle Eye

'Top Hat'

Hey, is this image project 'top hat' ?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t44/kimmys34/IMG_0361.jpg

People have been talking about it for a while and I've only just found out a week ago.

I would love to benefit from this if it actually got done in my suburb. Smiley Happy

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z. I've always wondered why the alphabet isn't in order on the keyboard.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 'Top Hat'

if it is then I can see how it got its name Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
gregoryopera
Level 12: Master Detective

"Project Top Hat"?
NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
ohhaiijade

Read this:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/telstra-hedges-its-bets-on-nbn-deal-and-upgrades-copper-net...

It's basically a project Telstra designed to add additional ADSL ports to existing RIM's/CMUX's (cabinets) to help people get ADSL. See, there's a game called "port lotto" and it's when you're connected to a cabinet, and because there are so many houses connected to it and there's only a few ADSL ports, it takes forever and requires a lot of luck to get a port.

I for one am stuck without a port, and we haven't ever been able to get one. Smiley Sad

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z. I've always wondered why the alphabet isn't in order on the keyboard.
gregoryopera
Level 12: Master Detective

Ah, I see.
NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

That is a picture of one of the prototype devices that was installed in Cranborne.

There has been no further official statements since the trial commenced for the 3 devices but (when OR if) there is something to report I'll detail it all here in due course.
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

It's great to see Telstra looking at options to further open up broadband options to those stuck behind RIMs.

Hopefully though there will be an increase in the backhaul at the same time, because installing more ports may just result in more congested RIM complaints.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

I can max out my 8M/384 connection without an issue, I'm sure there's still a bit of headroom left should my RIM be able to support ADSL2 at some stage, hopefully anyway Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Cranborne got some fat ethernet backhaul installed FYI.

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

That's fantastic to hear Gareth.  Seems another thing I can put on the growing list of "Who'da'thunk" coming from Telstra in the past 18 months.

Certainly a massive change in attitude towards being customer centric (which also means very competitve on service/price and options) since David Thodey took over.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
ohhaiijade

I JUST WENT ON WHIRLPOOL 20 MINUTES AGO AND SAW A LINK TO TELSTRA WHOLESALE TOP HAT REPORTS!

and when I saw 'AVOCCA16 DA5' I was all like,  /jumps up and down screaming. Smiley Very Happy

On the website you just gave me a link to and it says Telstra is finalising the first around 900 cabinets to be upgraded, and on the spreadsheet there's just over 950, that's the first lot to be upgraded hey?

Only a few cabinets have actual dates though, mine doesn't, and it could take over a year Smiley Indifferent 

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'll be keeping up the comms here FYI on this so as soon as the page changes or there is more info I shall flag it. That wholesale link was built with the tech user in mind. The maps they include are decent if u want to know if your house sits within a DA being upgraded.
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Here's what we advised the media this afternoon: Many more Australian homes and businesses will gain access to fast fixed-line broadband speeds, with Telstra upgrading local ADSL2+ infrastructure. Telstra is integrating new technology ‘top hats’ into the existing street cabinets that deliver telephone services to local residents and businesses. Until now these cabinets have not been able to support ADSL2+ technology due to physical constraints. In the past, to permanently increase the broadband capacity of a street side cabinet, we had to build another cabinet alongside the existing one. This could take months of planning and network construction activities, whereas the ‘top hat’ is essentially bolting ADSL2+ equipment on top of an existing street side cabinet. This means that we are quickly and efficiently able to make ADSL2+ services available to many households and small businesses that previously could not access a fixed broadband service. The installation of a top hat is part of a nationwide infrastructure investment where approximately 2000 top hats will be installed. Telstra is also upgrading the transmission backhaul to these cabinets to Gigabit Ethernet backhaul which will remove potential bottlenecks in the network. This work will take place over the next 18 months. Telstra continues to build on investment in innovative communications solutions across the county to bring faster broadband speeds and improved technology where possible. The upgrade will support our customers’ growing interest in connecting up household devices and screens to the internet so that they can enjoy information and entertainment on demand. The extra capacity will make it easier for households to stream video, access their favourite internet sites and work from home. Residents can contact Telstra BigPond on
13POND or visit their local store for further information. Details of future areas to be upgraded with a top hat can be found on <http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au >
sebapl10
Level 3: Gumshoe

is or will taylors lakes be on that list?

petergl67
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Gareth, I am intrigued. I work for a large builder in NSW, we specifically build in the central coast and hunter.. By coincidence I have just moved into Hamlyn Terrace where we are building another 26 homes. We are under the Gorokan exchange and there are not ports available for ADSL... BTW, our company is building some 58 houses in Wadalba next year too and I am pretty sure most will want adsl.. How do you guys plan upgrades- obviously not based on town planning because you would have one planned if that's the case?

I expect if you cant sort something out, there will be a lot if very unhappy people

thoughts?

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Peter, this is not appropriate for this forum, nor have you stated all facts here. NBN Co & DBCDE have published a good overview of the role of parties here.

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/136421/Fibre_in_New_Developments_Policy_Update_S...

May I suggest you read that, and seek further advice from your industry body. Let's keep this thread focused.

Regards

FRUSTRATED1707

Hey there Gareth.  Been reading this thread and wondering if you can give me any advice cos no one else at Telstra, or anywhere else, seems to be able to help. We have moved into a five year old estate in Langwarrin, Vic.  Been put onto a pair gains line and have absolutely no access to ADSL orADSL2+. Only option is mobile broadband. We got this but it is so slow and biggest I could get was 14GB.  I have two teenagers who require it for school work ( and of course all their social networking!). I also use it everyday for general stuff and also work.  This is causing us a major headache. We are paying $59 per month for the internet plus line rental for our phone.  If we were able to access ADSL2+ I would be paying $65 for phone, calls and ADSL2+ UNLIMITED.

I just want some advice on what is the best action to take and who do I talk to. I have been on the phone but half the people I speak to haven't even hear of 'pair gains' and just say "no you have no other options".  I've thought of taking it to our local MP's because it is just ludicrous in this day and age when we do more and more via the internet. I even have a lot of our bills delivered straight through the internet. So now I either have to contact those suppliers and change back to paper or get online at work and recieve them.

Really hope you have some sort of advice!!  Thanks

I might add that when I look up any stats on our area it shows that our neighbours in the surrounding streets can all access ADSL2+

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Send me your street address and I'll determine how u connect to the network, if you are covered by tophat, and any known timings in your region.

Regards
jyusuf

Hey Gareth,

Do you have a timeframe for the deployment of TopHat in Williams Landing (VIC 3027)?

Many thanks,

Jamal

Pcholden

Hi Gareth Can we please see the tophats in wyuna place in Forster NSW. We have been putting up with mobile broadband for so long now. Watch what happens when the town quadruples its population during the holidays.
hardikcholera

Hi Gareth,

I am currently connected to either CRBN-DA052 or CRBN-DA083 RIM. How would I know if my RIM is getting upgraded with Top Hat or not?

The maps on the telstra wholesale are not clear enough to identify if my place is covered or not.

Regards,

Hardik

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit