Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
serotonin
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status & FAQs Oakridge St 4156

I was on the telstra tophat website today to check on the progress of the ADSL2+ upgrade for our street "OAKRIDGE ST" POST CODE "4156". http://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/index.cfm

I punched in the details of our street and quite disappointingly it now says that our street is not being upgraded.

I’ve been checking from time to time the past few months and the expected date changed from June 2012, to July 2012 to August 2012 to December 2012 and now not at all.

Can you please check to see what's going on?
wildey
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status & FAQs Oakridge St 4156

Serotonin, have you checked the spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet is the best guide, the dates can change of course as the roll out schedule does but it has the most up to date information.

ajbell73

Re: Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status & FAQs

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Moved into a new house in a new estate 5+ years ago, transfering an existing BP ADSL service over. I was connected back to the sub-exchange and not the nearby RIM (Telstra choice). Albeit an ADSL2 port, the line quality is not the best and I'm flat out holding a 4M link. Had since churned away from BP.

Now they've completed the tophat upgrade and bombared letterboxes saying so, I've gone thru the motions to churn back but of course they left me connected to the Exchange and I still get the nowhere near 2+ sync speed.

So what are my chances of having them transpose me *to* the RIM and the likelyhood of thus getting a significantly better speeds?

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

ajbell73 wrote: 

So what are my chances of having them transpose me *to* the RIM and the likelyhood of thus getting a significantly better speeds?

Nearly 0

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

MSIMaker

Hi All,

We got a notice in the local paper today saying that the TopHat roll out was comnig to East Bowral but from everything I have read its a mish mash.....some spreadsheets say its completed. Others say no ports. Others say 2006.

My post code is 2576.......if Gareth has the answers I hope he can help me.

I am on an ADSL2+ plan already but I don't get the speed at all. I should be paying for ADSL 1 but that doesnt exist here.

Will they transfer me to high speed once the upgrade locally is done?

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MSIMaker wrote:

We got a notice in the local paper today saying that the TopHat roll out was comnig to East Bowral but from everything I have read its a mish mash.....

My post code is 2576.......if Gareth has the answers I hope he can help me.

Will they transfer me to high speed once the upgrade locally is done?

Lucky I'm still awake working on another project.

It depends on what you are connected to now.

If you are already on ADSL2+ (and your speeds aren't crash hot) that implies you are connecting directly to the exchange (ignoring for a second all the other variables that can cause slow speeds in the home and outside).

Tophat is only rolling out to cabinets that have had no xDSL in the past, or are ADSL1 with limited ports to serve the population properly.

If you look at rows 243, 244, 245 and open up the maps, which project ID do you sit under in the spreadsheet (http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tophat.xls). My guess is you are on row 243, projectid BOWLCA3 in a site that is dual fed by both cabinet and exchange in which case a transposition isn't supported back to cabinet.

Alternatively there may be something else at play, let me know though...

Kind regards

Gareth

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ben_F wrote:

ajbell73 wrote: 

Nearly 0

B.

We don't support the process. And given equivalence under SSU this is something we need to be mindful of adhering to.

eecchhoo

JTSX DA7 in WA was added to the rollout schedule previously and then removed from the list.

Is there any reason and possibility to get the tophat installed?

The area is not on the next 5 yearsNBN plan.

Can Telstra prioritise the areas that have no NBN planed for them rather than installing tophat on the same area where NBN will be deployed?

Ben_F

Just found some interesting info in a Submission to the ACCC:

Telstra‟s systems and processes prevent an end user from transitioning from a working exchange-based service to a cabinet-based service. What this means in practice, is that an end user cannot transition a ULLS or LSS-based [Wholesale] service to a Top Hat-based service provided by BigPond or WDSL acquirers. 

the sites where Top Hats are being installed are those sites where there is limited or no broadband capacity at present. Specifically, Telstra has prioritised those areas where ADSL penetration is below [c-i-c begins] xxx [c-i-c ends] and there is a known level of demand for the service. 

I hope that answers some questions about why specific areas are being targeted for Top Hat, and why you are unable to transfer from a exchange based service to a cabinet based service.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Lukeyson

Well, we're now into early November 2012, and I can see that Tophat.xls is only planned until Dec 2012. The rollout progress has been quite impressive.

Do Ben or Gareth - or anyone else - have any word yet on whether Tophat will be extended beyond Dec 2012? 

Lukeyson

Ben_F

Fraid I don't know more then Joe Public when it comes to the Tophat Launch Smiley Sad

New Users - Click Here!

plhodges

Hi All,

I just wanted to tell my story to see if any of you could shed some light or help in any way.

A week ago the pacific net website (https://www.pacific.net.au/servicequal/) changed to say that Open 2 was a Pass, which indicated that my tophat upgrade was finished and that I could apply for ADSL2+ (currently I have no internet). Telstra's website also said that ADSL2+ was now available for my phone number and I applied for a connection early last week and everything was going fine.

On Friday last week I was given a phone call informing me that there were no ADSL2+ ports available but there were ADSL1 ports available. Consequently I requested that I be connected to ADSL1 and was told that the connection should be ready by 7 pm on that evening.

As I was away from home during the weekend, I arrived home to find that my modem would not connect. So I called BigPond Tech Support and was told that there was an error on my line and that a new connection date had been setup for Thursday the 8th of November.

As I forgot to ask whether this new connection date was for ADSL2+ or ADSL1 I rang Telstra again today only to find out that there was no record on their system for a new ADSL1 connection, only a record of the failed ADSL2+ application. Consequently I had to arrange for a new order for ADSL1 as I was told that ADSL2+ is still not available and I was told that the earliest date that the ADSL1 connection could be activated is this Friday at 8:30 am.

To be honest, I am getting a little bit frustrated by these turn of events and would just like to reliably know when I can expect to have an internet connection. If my tophat upgrade has been finalised and the pacific net website and Telstra's own website are saying that an ADSL2+ connection is available for my phone line then what is going on??

MattD
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi plhodges,

I can certainly apprecaite your frustration given the different information you're continuing to receive. Due to this, I can take a look into exactly what's happening with your order and the Top Hat upgrade so I can provide some clarification around the situation and hopefully get your connected ASAP. I've sent you a private message so just reply to that if/when you're ready.

Thanks,

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

No_Underscore
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Gareth,

I don't live within one of the current proposed RIMs, but not far from it.

I am wondering if its possible for a future Bigpond connection to be tied in off the RIM?? i.e. still relying on the copper from the RIM to my place, but not having the long distance from the exchange

Cannington (CANN) exchange.

Project rollout: CANNCA19

Distribution Area: DA149

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers

mtown

Hi all,

This is a last ditch attempt, been trying to get ADSL2+ going for 3 months now with Telstra, and have yet to get a straight/definitive response from anyone (even the case manager) and hoping someone can give me a yes or no answer.

I've been told all sorts of varying reasons, but in short Telstra has said they can't provide ADSL 2+ to us, whether that be no ports, RIM related, phone line related, infrastructure related, it's been attributed to all.

We had a technician out last week, who activated a phone line so Telstra would have a better idea of the service issues, but advised that probably wouldn't be the end of it as we're on a RIM. Sure enough, the request for a bundle was rejected the following day.

However i've now found the tophat rollout spreadsheet, which advises the Petersham exchange was upgraded on 2 October, which is about the time we received a mailout advising ADSL2+ was now available in our street, only to be told by the sales team that same day, that it was in fact still not available and no idea why the marketing team would have told us otherwise...

Can someone respond, happy to provide my precise address for you to look into.

Thanks

plhodges

I just want to say a huge public thank you to MattD from these forums. He's one of the moderators and he sorted my whole sitation out for me. What an absolute champion! Am now connecting at full ADSL2+ speeds Smiley Happy

Thanks so much MattD and Telstra for the Tophat upgrade Smiley Happy

lyricnz

Great result for you! I only wish I could get the same!!

Tophat has just been enabled in my area - I've been watching tophat.xls for the longest time! But now it appears that my phone line is connected all the way back to the exchange (5+km away), and Telstra won't be moving me to the RIM?

Is that true? It seems kindof dumb, as my local exchange is totally out of ports, and if they move me to the RIM, then they can sell the port to someone else, and make more money. I'd love to hear if there's any way to get my line moved, as I sync at about 5Mbit, when my neighbours will now be getting full ADSL2+.
Darkam

Looking at the spreedsheet, my whole area has been ungraded except my DA!

litterally we are an island of ADSL surrounded by ADSL2+

Im on DA65 at WYNG

just seems wierd and really mean that you know it is so close, yet so far!

there is no mention of DA65/WYNG on the spreedsheet  Smiley Sad

oh and to top it off, i got the email about the upgrades to rub it in!

Ben_F

@lyricnz wrote:
Tophat has just been enabled in my area - I've been watching tophat.xls for the longest time! But now it appears that my phone line is connected all the way back to the exchange (5+km away), and Telstra won't be moving me to the RIM?

Is that true? It seems kindof dumb, as my local exchange is totally out of ports, and if they move me to the RIM, then they can sell the port to someone else, and make more money. I'd love to hear if there's any way to get my line moved, as I sync at about 5Mbit, when my neighbours will now be getting full ADSL2+.

Yes it is the case (Refer to my earlier post for more info). The simple reason is to ensure that it so it doesn't appear to be anti-competitive (as Wholesale customers pay more for a Top Hat port then a direct exchange port they have installed themselves).

You cannot have your line moved. Telstra has systems and processes in place to prevent this by default.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

lyricnz

There are no third-party ISPs in my exchange NAWN (no room, this is not going to change), and I happen to be a Wholesale customer rather than a retail customer. There doesn't seem to be any downside for Telstra in moving me, and they can resell my port back at the exchange... Hell, I'd probably even pay the $299 for a new line, if that's what it took :/
Ben_F

@lyricnz wrote:
There are no third-party ISPs in my exchange NAWN (no room, this is not going to change), and I happen to be a Wholesale customer rather than a retail customer. There doesn't seem to be any downside for Telstra in moving me, and they can resell my port back at the exchange... Hell, I'd probably even pay the $299 for a new line, if that's what it took :/

Doesn't matter. When Wholesale Customers screamed that Top Hat was going to be Anti-Competitive, Telstra will do everything it can to prevent it from appearing so. So no, you can't be moved back to the RIM, even on request, because of the Wholesale Suppliers mentioned in that report.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

dirk808

Bethanga 3691, has been suffering issues for a number of Years, Were with Internode.

Paying 100% for a service that barely runs 25% at most, Have notified Internode and their reply " This is a Telstra issue and it has been sent to telstra to sort out" Few weeks later, still same issue, Rang again and was told " The area is currently being upgraded to support the services."

Yet I look on the Rollout Spreadsheet and 3691 is not even mentioned yet keep being told By internode that Tel;stra are updating. But nothing is happening.

Ben_F

@dirk808 wrote:

Paying 100% for a service that barely runs 25% at most, Have notified Internode and their reply " This is a Telstra issue and it has been sent to telstra to sort out" Few weeks later, still same issue, Rang again and was told " The area is currently being upgraded to support the services.".

It's an issue with their wholesale supplier, whom you have no direct relationship with. 

Internode needs to supply you with the service you were promised, how they do that isn't up to Telstra. 

im moving from node because all they can do is buck pass.... Would rather deal direct with the wholesaler if you get my drift. 

New Users - Click Here!

dirk808

@Ben_F wrote:

@dirk808 wrote:

Paying 100% for a service that barely runs 25% at most, Have notified Internode and their reply " This is a Telstra issue and it has been sent to telstra to sort out" Few weeks later, still same issue, Rang again and was told " The area is currently being upgraded to support the services.".

It's an issue with their wholesale supplier, whom you have no direct relationship with. 

Internode needs to supply you with the service you were promised, how they do that isn't up to Telstra. 

im moving from node because all they can do is buck pass.... Would rather deal direct with the wholesaler if you get my drift. 

Been looking at some of these spreadsheets of Rollouts etc.

Our Bethanga BHGA one was "Removed from Schedule" Anyone know what that means?. BHGA CA5 & BHGA DA4.

Problem is we log issues and complaints and nothing seems to get done. Don't know if moving to Telstra will make anything better.

bmcrally

My situation sounds very much like philhodges one of a month ago.

As already detailed in my post: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/How-can-I-find-which-roadside-cabinet-my-RIM-se...

In a nutshell:

• Relocated home, early Nov, same exchange
  • Told ADSL 2+ available when relocation ordered
  • Phone connected
  • Told ADSL 2+ not available, told to change order to ADSL
  • Told no ADSL ports available, told to go with mobile broadband
  • 2 weeks later - found out about TopHat project, checked location via Telstra Wholesale spreadsheet and maps (KELL-CA10 KELL-DA410)
  • TopHat shown as commissioned 26 Sept
  • Spoke to Telstra tech that was working on cabinet up street, he had just connected a customer to TopHat and said 600+ ports available in it (I didn't confirm this is TopHat I should be serviced by and no ID label match )
  • Reapplied, mentioning TopHat
  • Told ADSL 2+ definately available for me
  • Back on run around, now being told to change order to ADSL, which has already been advised as no ports available
  • Tried Live Chat 14/12, explained story for 10th or 12th time and was put through to a BigPond rep who told me their supervisor would contact me within 2 hours - no callback, now nearly 2 days

I have told my story to numerous staff in Telstra, often 3 times in same hour long phone call, constantly courteous and understanding that staff involved not at fault, but getting increasingly frustrated.

I need a decent connection for my business and the 200kbps 3G that I'm using is very expensive and not quick enough.

This situation has been going for over 5 weeks and is causing ridiculous stress as I have been on the phone every second day most weeks, totalling well over 4 hours.

Can someone here help me get an answer as to why I haven't had an ADSL 2+ service connected via TopHat yet and what I need to do to cut through the runaround?

thanks

Brett

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Brett, if you flick me your phone number in a private message I will take a closer look for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bmcrally

Hi Dan,

I have PM'ed my number.

Brett

bomber7136

I am curious (frustrated) that the tophat rollout in Sunbury VIC (SUNB) included CA24 (DA111), CA25  (DA117) and CA26 (DA115) but not the one I am connected too - CA27 (DA081).

Is the rollout now complete or can I hold out hope for an upgrade?

Cheers...

Wayne

Arj

Hi Gareth/All,

Looking for some assistance here... 

https://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/index.cfm says my area was due for upgrade by end of Dec 2012. SQ still shows OPEN2 fail. 

Checking http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tophat.xls my DA (22) appears in the "Sites Removed" tab. Not sure what this means.

MNDEDA022LIBERTY DRV

Looking at the area DA022 covers on the map (http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/MNDE-CA2-Area-Layout.pdf) it's nowhere near my part of LIBERTY DRV (on the right hand edge of the estate, opposite DA023). 

A couple of questions:

* Am I connected to a different DA, given I don't fall inside the map coverage area? 

* Is there any update on when my area of the street will receive the tophat upgrade?

I'm happy to PM my PSTN number if that helps.

Appreciate any help you can provide, cheers. 

Adri

EDIT: Checking my cable records it appears like I'm under CA4? If that's what I can discern from "pairKey : MNDECA4". 

The catch is no map exists for CA4... but CA3 and CA5 do.

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/MNDE-CA3-Area-Layout.pdf

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/MNDE-CA5-Area-Layout.pdf

Cable Details:  
transmissionPathStatus : C 
cablePairRecord : 0 
pairType : B 
pairKey : MNDECA4       0070 
cableSectionGroup : 0 
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 4: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 4m
cableSectionGroup : 0 
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 3: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 7m

cablePairRecord : 1 
pairType : O 
pairKey : MNDEP25       0225 
cableSectionGroup : 1 
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 3: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 10m
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 40: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 50m
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 74: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 124m
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 174: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 298m
CableType : CPFUT     : cableLength : 148: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 446m
CableType : PEIFLI    : cableLength : 7: cableGauge : 0.40 Rolling Total 453m
johnnyk

Hi,

My DA is the only DA in Craigieburn (CRBN) which has not been upgraded for top hat. In fact my site is on the 'sites removed' list as per the wholesale reports.

However www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/ advises I will have access by end of 2012.

Which one is correct?

Please advise! Smiley Happy

- John

Lukeyson

Dec 18th 2012 is the last activity in Tophat.xls. A month ago.

Either Telstra has a change-freeze, and things will start up soon, or TopHat has finished and nothing more is happening.

Which is odd, since I have a local RIM which appears to have had a physical top-hat chassis installed, but nothing installed inside it, and the location is not anywhere to be found on the old tophat.xls.

I wish this process was more transparent and predictable. It's like shooting arrows at flies.

Lukeyson

MattD
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the lack of activity on this thread. I'll try and respond to everyone individually but if I miss anything please feel free to let me know.

@bomber7136

There's no official word that the roll out has completed yet but there are no new sites listed on the Top Hat spread sheet as yet. So to answer your question specifically, yes you can hold out hope because we haven't said it's finished yet but there's no guarantee and at this point no plans in place to complete an upgrade either.

@Arj

If you want to PM me your PSTN I can check what your details are and see what's happened in your area and your options

@johnnyk

The Top Hat Spreadsheet is the most accurate information available at this time so I would go by that. I know that's not the news you'd want to to hear though and am sorry.

@Lukeyson

If you can let me know the specific details on the RIM that had the chassis of a Top Hat installed I can check what's going on there for you, if you're interested.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Arj

Thanks Matt, I've PMd you.

Lukeyson

Thanks MattD

I most certainly would be interested in any further information you may have, thankyou.

The Street Box is in the HINT exchange area in NSW, and has text CA5, HINU HNANA written on it. There's no entry for HINT for NSW in tophat.xls.

Link to  Image of the unit, showing the Top Hat box that has been installed on it (it was installed sometime in July/August 2012)

Link to ESA Map

Link to DA Map

Luke Plaizier

MattD
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks Luke. I'll check it out.

I believe what happened in some circumstances was that with the initial rollout, we started installations but then after further checks found that it wasn't going to benefit that many people in the area. Keep in mind, the intent behind the Top Hat project was to provide more people with access to an ADSL service, not to upgrade existing ADSL customers to ADSL2+. 

I'd say that's what happened here. There might be a lot of people in the area wanting to upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ but could have been ports still available for people without a service at all.

When I have it sussed out though I'll let you know.

dirk808

Before Xmas BHGA-Bethanga was due to be upgraded to ADSL2+ now have checked and there are no Plans to Upgrade or have ADSL2 there.

Been trying to get answers from our supplier Internode but keep saying its a Telstra thing, we wanna change but seems nothing is going to happen. Problem is to Download or use the internet in a good state you have to be up early like 5:30am to download anything as by 12 Midday its that slow its stupid and then at niight its pointless getting online.

All were trying to find out is why this exchange was removed from the upgrade and if there are any plans for a upgrade to the exchange at all.

MattD
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Dirk808,

Just a couple of things. 

Your post isn't actually in relation to the subject of this thread given you're referring to your exchange and not a cabinet (you'd be referring to a backhaul upgrade) but I'll provide an answer none the less. In future, if you'd like to discuss anything other than the Top Hat upgrades, please find an existing thread regarding your topic of choice or if there isn't one, start one of your own. If you need assistance with this please feel free to send either myself or any of the other moderators a private message and we'll give you a hand.

The spreadsheets listed on the Telstra Wholesale site aren't final and are subject to change so shouldn't be taken as a definite indicator of work to be completed. That being said, this community forum was set up to assist Telstra Retail customers and as such I'm not in a position to provide further information on Telstra Wholesale.

I understand you've already approached your own provider already however the best advice I have at this point in time is to approach them again as it would be there responsibility as a re-seller to communicate with Telstra Wholesale in order to provide you with the relevant information to your query.

akpollitt1

Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status & FAQs

I've noticed the Telstra street cabinet near me had a top hat installation completed about 6 months ago.

I currently using Mobile Home Internet as I can't get ADSL where I live (although the house directly behind me can get ADSL).

I was hoping with the recent upgrade I would be able to get ADSL. When I regularly check https://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/index.cfm for updates I keep getting the response that it should be available at the end of 2012.

I have also contacted my local Telstra shop and they couldn't give me a definitive answer.

What information do you need to be able to check this out for me ?

MattD
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Lukeyson

Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about your request and am still waiting on confirmation but once I have it I will update you via this thread.

@akpollitt1

If you chat with us via http://tel.st/eAUDU we can run a test to see if ADSL is available to you. Please remember, if you don't have an active landline the tests we perform are very limited and won't be able to provide you with much information at all. In saying that, to get a landline connected there is a connection fee ranging from $59 to $299 depending on the amount of work required as well as a temporary connection fee of $100 if that phone line is disconnected within 3 months of the service being activated. If ADSL isn't available once you have paid for a landline to be connected, these fee's are still applicable so please keep that in mind if you decide to go down that path.

Lukeyson

Thanks Matt.

Luke

mildew

Re: Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status

Im on Dawesville WA DA3,21,22,23 and Tophat was completed in November 2012. My ADSL1 connection is off the RIM so does this mean I now have access to the faster ADSL2+? I'm with Spintel as my ISP but happy to go over to BP if needed to.

Ben_F

Telstra customers and customers of resellers can contact their service provider to request a speed upgrade. This may, in some cases, incur an additional charge.

If you are on a RIM, the wholesaler can get access to any speeds that big pond can :-)

New Users - Click Here!

mildew

Thanks Ben I'm off to Spintel as we speak. If they don't cooperate I'll be calling BP.

Cheers

JeffSmiley Happy

angryaussie

Could not find anything for 2454 Bellingen

Its so bad any eta?

mildew

all done and speed has doubledSmiley Happy

infirmofpurpos

Hi All,

Just feeling frustrated at the moment and was wondering if anyone here can help me out, please.

Around mid-Jan 2013, I received a letter from Telstra (addressed to me) saying that, due to a recent upgrade in technology, my street can now get ADSL2+. The letter also went on to offer me a Bigpond Connector Scout package. This got me all excited.

I'm with another provider on slow ADSL1 at the moment.

Before placing the order with Telstra Bigpond, I checked the status of the Top Hat installations for my DA using the following:

1. Checked out the http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tophat.xls and found that against my DA the Actual Service Date is 23 Nov 2012. And the Ports Available field reads "Y".
  2. I entered my street address in https://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/index.cfm and was shown a reult box that said, "Good news. ADSL2+ broadband is now available at this address."
  3. I also ran a SQ check at https://www.pacific.net.au/servicequal/ and it showed a Pass against Open 2.

All these positive results in conjunction with the letter satisfied me and I went ahead and called BP to take up the Connector Scout offer.

Then I kept tracking my order when to my dismay it was marked as "delayed" (nearly a week after the placement of the order). This was on Sunday. I immidiately called the number on the link to find out the reason only to be told that I cannot get ADSL2+.

The lady I spoke with was kind enough to speak with a couple of other departments and came back to me saying that apparently there are some ports on the DA I specified and that they are blocked. The department that is able to unblock them will only be back at work on Monday. When I called back on Monday I was told by the sales guy that I cannot get ADSL2+. I asked to speak with someone in the technical department who is capable of answering queries about Top Hat and was assured that my issue was escalated and that someone will call me. This afternoon I received a call with a message left on my voice mail saying that I can't get ADSL2+. BP is able to offer me ADSL1, however!

None of this makes sense! Would someone be kind enough to shed some light on the situation and explain if and why I can't get ADSL2+?

Thanks.

VS

speersie

I have had a similar letter today. I am curious if mine is a top hat upgrade. I am in Dubbo and there is only one exchange which is approx 3.6Km's of line cable so I am told and would mean my ADSL2 speed is approx half of the 6500Kbps I get now on ADSL1. I am very interested to change as I went from approx 14Mbps before buying this house.

My street was mentioned in the brochure but nothing other than we've upgraded our technology to service St Andrews Dr, Dubbo. Coming from a technical field I find this very frustrating and do not know if I am wasting my time and others only to find out my speed will be worse than I am on now. 

Any help would be appreciated.

speersie

Derrick
Level 4: Private Eye

infirmofpurpos

I went through the same problem and had many different answers and follow ups and people saying yes I had the codes, no I didn't have the codes, yes you have the codes but they don't match back of office, yes you are now on ADSL 2+ (activations and billing) modem not on ADSL 2 only ADSL 1, yes your speeds are fine, no your speed isn't fine, yes theres a mismatch, to finally, no you can't get ADSL 2 as the exhange is congested.

3 weeks, good luck as I gave up.

mildew

I spoke too soon. Speed is **bleep**e and worse than before the "speed upgrade". Spintel won't fess up but they say the problem is at their end congestion wise for WA and they cannnot give an estimate of when it will be sorted. Have suggested if I'm unhappy to go elsewhere as I am out of contract. Reading between the lines I believe they have asked Telstra to tweak something and are at their mercy. BuggerMan Frustrated

Pushing out 100 - 250KB/sec on ADSL2+. Poor form someoneSmiley Mad

Ben_F

@mildew wrote:

Pushing out 100 - 250KB/sec on ADSL2+. Poor form someone  Spintel

As Spintel is your service provider, you should contact them for asisstance

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit