Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
mildew
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Tophat ADSL2+ Rollout Status & FAQs

Yeah thanks Ben. Been there done that. I was just venting out of frustration.

SorrySmiley Embarassed

infirmofpurpos
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Derrick.

Well, so much for technology... no one seems to be able to tell exactly what the situation is!

And so much for fragmentation of services within an organisation... no one cares about the customers any more.

And so life goes on... and we all move on...

VS

Derrick
Level 4: Private Eye

I think Telstra are mocking me and rubbing in the ADSL 2+ fiasco I have, oh wait, am STILL going through.. they sent me that loyal customer reward thing for $10 movie tickets, however none of those cinemas are close to me .... DOH!!!

Godfather

can anyone help me and let me know when the tophat install would be done around the prestons area post code2170 as i have checked the maps and it shows streets down the street but not mine

please help

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Godfather,

If your street was not listed on any of the maps then regrettably, we will not be installing a TopHat to service your area.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
trancore

HI Guys

Does anyone know if there is Tophat in Craigieburn 3064? My current exchange is 3km...

DanK
Community Manager

Hi trancore, welcome to the forum.

Spreadsheet shows that we installed 12 TopHats in teh Craigieburn area between April and October last year. I would suggest contacting us to see if we can organise a new service or upgrade your existing one to ADSL2.

I do need to point that I am not suggesting that this will definitely be available as you may not be connected to an upgraded cabinet or the ports may have been all taken already. Don't want to give you the wrong expectation Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

trancore

Hi DanK,

Appreaciate your help. Can you check if there is one near by to me if i PM you my address?

Cheers

Mathew

DanK
Community Manager

Hi Mathew,

I can certainly check if you supply your telephone number via private message. Honestly, though, your best option to find out for sure is to attempt to change plans or sign up for a service.

Richie83

I've only just found out about this tophat installation stuff after seeing the new tophat on a cabinet on a street near me in the last few months.

I'm on the Maddington exchange (DA047 I believe) which, going from the spreadsheet, was completed in October 2012 and has ports available.

I'm currently getting abysmal speeds, around 3.5Mbps (which would indicate either direct connection to the exchange or passthrough the RIM?).  The tophat is around 500m from my house walking, so I'd love to be able to be moved to it if possible.

What's the easiest way to go about getting switched over to the tophat?

shawian

Hi,

May not be strictly Tophat but - how do I find out the status of ADSL2+ in Halls Gap Victoria? I believe there is a DSLAM in the exchange but ADSL2 seems not to be available from Telstra or anyone else.

adsl2exchanges.com.au has listed ADSL2+ as Planned for a long time.

Are there DSLAMs installed but not activated for some reason? Where can I find out the status?

thanks, Ian.

Lukeyson

@MattD wrote:

@Lukeyson

Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about your request and am still waiting on confirmation but once I have it I will update you via this thread.

Looks like MattD has gone dark! Oh well.

I can't help but notice that TopHat.xls has not seen any updates since Feb, and of that they were just updates of things installed in 2012. So it's looking a whole lot like TopHat did not get it's extension to rollout sites beyond the initial group as we were all hoping might happen.

RIP TopHat.....

Lukeyson

Antipodeantwit

I live in a relatively new ( 2 years approx) estate in Wodonga NE Victoria.. I recently bought a house here and applied to have my home phone and broadband connected with Telstra. After the usual delays, stuffups and litany of lies, I finally got broadband connected some 3 weeks after my phone line became active. A bit longer than Telstra's claimed 4 business days. Apparently I have a mini exchange ( Top Hat) just down the end of the street, and there are no available ADSL 2+ ports.. so I have to settle for plain old ADSL.. For the same price !! Reminds me of the old dial up days.. Youtube clips buffering..  4 hours to download a movie...Unable to do online gaming etc.. All things that modern internet users take for granted normally. I was told by one of the call centre puppets that there was only limited ports on the new "Tophat" exchange.. And that is why Telstra support the NBN. The fact that they extorting buckets of taxpayers money out of the NBN might form much of the basis behind that statement. Or is this just another way for Telstra to make money. Charging exhorbitant amounts of money for  data packages that customers haven't got a hope in hell of using.

I challenge Telstra to refute anything I have said here .........or the lackeys they have planted on this website....

mongi

Telstra have told me that they will continue to rollout "tophats" mine was one of around 100 dslams that were dropped from the list last minute but they keep assuring me they will continue to upgrade even with the Nbn rollout. So I live in hope as I have same problem of not enough bandwidth.

Derrick
Level 4: Private Eye

Wonder who to believe,  I was told by Telstra no chance of getting off ADSL 1 until the NBN as thry won't be doing anything to our congested exchange that is over 5 klm away 

mongi

Possibly as my exchange is not congested maybe why. I can not wait another 5 years for the NBN as that would mean 10 years of my life wasted trying to get faster Internet.

DanK
Community Manager

Hi All,

We still have plans to invest in and improve our network but as far as I am aware that particular project to install TopHats finished in December. I cannot say that we won't have a project to do similar upgrades in future, I don't have access to this level of detail, but I can tell you at this point in time we are not installing any.

For the purposes of alleviating congestion, there is a separate process for installing additional backhaul that is applied to areas of most need. This is unrelated to the installation or activation of TopHats.

JGrae

Hi guys, the top hat website said my street was active but no one at Telstra can connect me. Laurence St Doreen 3754. Can you look on your spreadsheet please and let me know?
Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

The Top Hat rollout is now complete. Any connections will be determined now by our standard signup process

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit