melodicminor
Level 3: Gumshoe

Tophat - New installation but not on Tophat.

Help!

I'm at wits end here and in need of some 'love' from a knowledgeable member of Telstra Staff (as most haven't a clue about technical aspects of the CAN)  We finally have a service after 14 weeks after placing the first order but it seems like I've been short changed!

First, let’s get some background.  This is a very much abridged summary as I've made so many calls to Telstra I think I've heard the entire on-hold music repository twice over.

1) Placed order for new line and Broadband to a new house in an established suburb of WA beginning of June.

2) Placed second order for house after the first was 'lost' after following up with Telstra beginning of July.

3) Organised Telstra tech to attend in Mid-July.

4) Forfeited Telstra tech visit when it transpired that ISGM had not provisioned lead-in (After telling at least 3 different operators that the lead in was NOT there and the tech would need to bring a spade)

5) Waited 6 weeks for IGSM to provision lead in.  They finally provisioned a lead in when I badgered the sub-contractor directly.  A 'Temporary' lead in was provisioned exiting the pit through the lid because of 'Asbestos Concerns'  Temporary lead in still in place as of today.

6) Second IGSM sub-contractor (not Telstra tech) provides connection to the Pit, but takes the line back 3.5K to main exchange spending almost 8 hours eliminating foreign battery and having to use mostly b-pairs.  Tech is confused that he’s taking it back to the main exchange when there is a Top-Hatted RIM a few hundred meters away.  Still, he has to go by the work order issued to him.  In fairness to him, he was excellent and persevered through torrential rain to get me this line - for which I am grateful.

7) Bigpond activation team advise of activation date for ADSL 2+ service (I checked with operator it was ADSL 2+) and advises service is to be provisioned from Langford (I assume QCANNE4013M as they stated LANGFORD not Cannington when quizzed)

😎  Activation date arrives.  Sync achieved on line but service not 'activated' for another week. (Multiple calls and frustration)

9) Second activation date arrives.  Now able to get PPP working and an active connection.  Service suffers drop-outs and unable to handshake with any modulation other than G.DMT   Seems the line is still not going to the Tophatted RIM.

So, according to the T-Wholesale Tophat.xls spreadsheet, I'm well within the boundary of http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/CANN-CA19-Map-CANN-DA135.pdf.  The Tophat apparently has spare ports.  Bigpond leaflet dropped the area in Jan 2013 to say ADSL 2+ 'Super Fast' broadband was now available.  For whatever reason though, I'm not on that Tophat, and my service is poor at best!

According to the mybroadband website, my address should be getting sync speeds almost 4x faster than I get currently. (I appreciate this website is about as accurate as a game of ‘Pin the tail on the donkey’ but it should be indicative at the very least)

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) quality  > B

The average speed of the ADSL services delivered over the copper network in your area fall into the B category when compared to the ADSL services available in other areas.

The estimated median ADSL speed for your area is (Mbps):   18.69

Pacnet results below

Qualification results...

AAPT

Exchange code:

CANN

Exchange service area:

CANN

Distance to exchange:

DSL codes on line:

true

Type

Method

Speed

SQ Reference

Result

Outcomes

SSS

AAPT ADSL2+

Up to 24Mbps/1Mbps (Annex A)

PASS

Was service qualified by Telstra successfully? PASS

Is current deterministic qualification data available? PASS

Is the exchange enabled for the provider? PASS

Is the requested service in a pair gain area? PASS

Are there ports available? PASS

What is the deployment class for this access method? PASS

Has an order for the FNN been rejected in the last week? PASS

Does cease sale apply due to NBN? PASS

Can someone at Telstra please pick this up and run with this and see where we can go here.  I'm pretty sure that something has gone weird in the provisioning of this service but without getting this onto the desk of the right person, I'm just punching my own face following this up via the phone helplines.

For me, best result would be to get hooked up to the RIM and on the Tophat I assume?.  You’d have thought that would be achievable (and what would have been provisioned in the first place!)

Grateful for any assistance.

Melodic

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Tophat - New installation but not on Tophat.

Hi Melodic,

Thanks for your feedback. When we are getting you connected there are a number of criteria that we take into account when we are assigning a cable path back to the exchange. I would recommend speaking with us to make sure we have you correctly set up on an ADSL2+ plan and then our tech support team can investigate the drop outs and part of the solution there may be to change the cable path to run through the Top Hat

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

melodicminor

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for replying.  Is there any way to get in contact with someone who can actually help with this?  Phoning the normal numbers gets me (a) a long wait and (b) through to technical support who tell me to check my ADSL filters, modem settings etc etc.  It seems impossible to get through to someone at the next level when you can demonstrate that you can get connected - random dropouts on Telstra provided kit does not count as a fault it would seem.

Just as a side, I've tried a couple of other ADSL modems now and seem to have a relitively stable connection with a Trendchip based TP-Link 8817 (The Provided Thomson Tecnicolor and the previously provided (2010) Bigpond Thomson router are the worst offenders for disconnections).  I've got the TP-Link in bridged mode to an EVG2000 which I have from my previous velocity connection until I get pfsense back up and running.

Lastly, who do I need to speak to to get the 'Temporary" lead in made a little more permanent?  Every time my neighbour goes out with his wipper-snipper I fear the temporary lead-in will become permanently disconnected!

Thanks

Melodic

Renee
Support Team
Support Team

Heya melodicminor,

I have flagged this thread with our Social Media Tech Team to assist further.

Please know that the team do work Monday to Friday and thus the earliest time you will hear from a member of the team will be on Monday.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

melodicminor

Thanks Renee. Much appreciated. I'll sit tight and see what happens 😊
melodicminor

Hi Renee,

Well, here we are 3 months later and nobody from the Social Media Tech Team ever did get in contact.

I'm still banging my head against a brick wall with you guys suffering from constant disconnects and having tried 3 different modems and a number of line profiles to get a stable connection.  Meanwhile, the rest of my neighbours are enjoyi9ng 19mbit + downstream speads while I'm left getting 5mbit on a good day - but not for longer than a few hours at the most before a dreaded disconnect.

So, having complained twice in phone calls since this, I'm still no further forward and have significantly less hair.

The last complaint reveiled that I'd been put back to an ADSL1 profile, so they 'upgraded' me back to ADSL2+.  What a joke.  Thanks guys, good to see you understand the problem!

Somebody please help!  Argh!

-Melodic

2015-01-02_172032.bmp

melodicminor

Today, 3Mbit!  Thats 6 times slower than my neighbours with free drop-outs!

As you can see, modem sync speed (Pic 3) just keeps getting lower and lower trying to make up for all the noise on the line.  Quality.  This is a brand new house with a brand new lead in, so I'm confident (100%) that this is not a problem my end!  (Note, I'm quite impressed its been able to keep a connection for 15 hours though - probably a record)

So, Telstra, I beg you.  Send someone out to change the cable path.  Put it to the ADSL2 enabled Top-Hat on the local RIM in CANN:135.  Heck, I'll even pay you to do it if thats whats needed.

Just to be clear, at the moment I'm using a Telstra Supplied TG782T Technicolor/Thomson modem/router which runs a broadcom chipset just like the DSLAM in the cannington exchange.  Should be a perfect match 🙂  My best router for reliability (A Dreytek Vigor 2800) can't even sync on G992.3 or G992.5 and has to resort to G.DMT (ADSL 1).

mybroadband.PNG

speedtest.PNG

Modem.PNG

melodicminor

Todays Modem Stats.  

Great numbers for Loss of Framing and Loss of Signal - NOT!  Over 10 minutes in error seconds!

Modem2.PNG

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Melodicminor,

Have you considered that there may be a fault on the line and that this needs to be tested and reported further?

Have you reported a fault with the disconnections on your service to Tech Support on 133 933?

- Shelly

melodicminor

Hi Shelly,

I don't wish to be rude, so I apologise in advance if this message appears so,  but is this a joke?

I've spent more time on the phone to Telstra over the past few months than I have spent time with my Children.

Can I please get a real answer to this question from a technical expert, not just a "Mabie there is a fault with your line, have you reported a fault".  I know there is a fault with my line - if there wasn't a fault with my line I wouldn't be here now, would I?

I'll tell you wnats wrong with my line - because I know!

Telstra provisioned a cable path that could only use split/b-pairs back to an exchange 3.5km away from my house.  The cable path chosen by Telstra has many problems including FOREIGN BATTERY which is causing problems with my broadband service.  It took the original tech 8 HOURS to get the line as good as it is with the cable path he was told to use.  

Please let me quote the words of the tech that persevered for 8 hours in the tipping rain to get me a line "I thought it would have gone back to that RIM but instead it goes all the way back to the exchange.  Its taken me ages trying to eliminate all the foreign battery as best I could and find some working b-pairs that I could use.  Most techs would have given up but I've persevered because you have been waiting so long for your connection"

There is a tophatted RIM a few hundred meters away that is ment to serve my area. CANN DA 135.  My cable path does not go through this RIM but if people at Telstra were doing their job properly it would have been re-routed by now and I would be a happy customer rather than an increasingly angry one because no-matter what I try I can not get through to someone who has any clue about the network at the base pit, pipe and pair level and has a clue about cable paths.

So, Shelly.  Please get one of the Telstra techs that knows what a pair is, what a cable path is, and what FOREIGN BATTERY is and ask them if they can please arrange for a telstra tech to change the cable path so it goes to the local ADSL2+ tophat for DA: 135.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS HARD.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I AM LOOSING THE WILL TO LIVE.  I BEG YOU TELSTRA PLEASE JUST CHANGE THE CABLE PATH AND MAKE ME A HAPPY CUSTOMER.  I'LL PAY YOU FOR A TECH TO DO THIS IF THATS WHATS REQUIRED TO GET MY LINE ROUTED AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RIGHT FROM THE START.

-Melodic

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are unwilling to report a fault regarding the drops so that the network can be investigated and a resolution found, I can only recommend that you submit a formal complaint via any methods listed here: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

- Shelly

melodicminor

Hi Shelly,

I have reported this numerous times and the line either tests fine or as they can see I have a connection they are unwilling to take this further.  Most recently (and I sure you can verify this) I reported the fault via customer complaints (who also had to deal with an unrelated billing matter where I wasn't billed for 4 months and then billed just under $1000 ) but was transferred to Bigpond Activations as it was decided that the problem was I was om ADSL 1 not ADSL 2 (Check my original post to see that when I first started to complain, I was on ADSL 2+). so they put in a work order to upgrade me BACK to ADSL 2+.

This is why I'm at my wits end because nobody is doing anything about it, and while I appreciate that your trying to help what I need is someone to actually help me progress this not just provide a short and borderline rude answer of "If your not willing to report a fault etc etc".  

As I said how many times do I have to phone you guys about this - I'm trying my best as a customer here and I am trying to escalate this but I'm just hitting a brick wall gain and again and again, and I'm afraid it seems to me that you, Shelly are becomming the latest brick wall and thats not what I need, what I need is a sympathetic ear who will help me get this sorted.  Are you up to that task Shelly?  Do you want to help me get this sorted or are you not interested in my problem like the rest of Telstra for whatever reason?  

Call me (My account has my mobile number listed) and sit on the line while I raise a fault, and help me get this sorted when the line tests OK and they see I have a connection and they arn't willing to go any further, and show me how easy it can be, rather than just pushing me through the same channels that I'm always pushed that gets me nowhere., 

Please Shelly, can you help me?  Can you show me some customer service?

-Melodic

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Melodic,

Crowd Support is a forum where customers can help other customers. Yes it is moderated, but this is not a intended for fault reporting. 

Tech Support do not have the ability to change the cable path that you are on. They can report a fault for the disconnections. Regardless of how the line tests, if you are experiencing disconnections this will be escalated and investigated.  If you are specifically wanting to change your cable path, then the only group that will be able to champion this for you is the Complaints team as cable path changes are not done on request.

If you have a reference number from when you last reported, I can take a look at this, but if there are no fault reports, then I will refer you to call Tech Support on 133 933 so that you can report this.

- Shelly

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit