Silverbullit
Level 2: Rookie

Total Telstra NBN incompetence

Hello all,

I am really at a loss to describe the total frustration and now sheer anger Telstra have driven me to after the latest screw up in a long NBN saga.. I feel like I am dealing with total incompetence at every step of the way and noone I deal with has any sort of ability to actually fix anything correctly.

Long story goes something like this;

1. Built a new house in an NBN greenfields estate this year. Call Telstra about 4-6 weeks (Mid August) before the house is due for handover to start the connection process and allow some working time for NBNco to do the connection work to the house etc.

Telstra rep in sales notes down that I wanted my new NBN service username to be the name of a mailbox currently attached to my existing bigpond wireless service (that was staying on my account), assures me this is no problem, confirms the username and tells me what the password will be for the service to match that mailbox username.

Advises that the date I requested in late september (specifically requested to fit into my work schedule/being out of town frequently) would be no problem and had been available with NBNco technicians so scheduled it in.

2. In mid september I call to check on the progress of my new service, modem delivery etc as I had not heard anything or received any email or confirmation.

Telstra rep cannot find my order in the NBN system and the previous rep did not give me an NBN order number as a reference only an interaction INT number. Telstra rep has to resubmit my whole NBNco order again from scratch based on the notes left from the previous interaction on my Telstra account.

Assures me this was all fine and in progress now, gives me an NBN order number and appointment date would still be ok.

3. About mid-september I received an email from Telstra about my NBN order confirming my username was the same as my existing bigpond wireless service username (different to what I had requested at step 1). Having worked for an ISP in the past this immediately sets alarm bells ringing that I would have two services with the same username so I call Telstra and query this, Rep states this is fine and normal and when I explain the password email for the NBN service had a blank line where it was supposed to state the password, he gave me a new password over the phone (which is different to the existing service password).

4. Late September about 3 days before the NBNco appointment date I receive a random call from someone with a thick accent on the Saturday morning before the monday of the NBNco appointment telling me the my appointment was now for 27 October.. A DATE ALMOST A WHOLE MONTH LONGER THAN ORIGINALLY BOOKED, thanks for the notice Telstra. Rep could not give any reason or explaination other than that was the appointment date, could not tell me why it had changed.

I am almost 100% certain it would be due to 1. getting screwed up and then the delay between 2. meaning the original appointment was never booked in time and NBNco gave it the next available appointment after they actually processed the order from Telstra.

So now I'm pushed back by a whole month due to Telstra's incompetence.

5. The NBNco tech appointment finally happens in late October and uneventfully is completed within 30 mins, I'm finally connected and to my surprise it is actually working without any drama.

6. My alarm installer comes to commission the alarm system now that the phone is connected (NGC), explains that the alarm system isn't compatible with the VOIP style phone services and needs to be run via UNI-V. I call Telstra, they explain they can change my phone connection over to IPPOTS but need to wait for my NBNco order to complete before they can submit a new request to change it and advise someone would call me back to ask questions about the alarm system and advise of an NBN tech appointment.

I wait patiently.

7. In the mean time I notice my NBN services aren't showing in My Account when I logon. I can see my mobile phones, prepaids and Bigpond wireless but no NBN. Contact Telstra and they tell me to wait for my NBNco order to complete before they will show. So now I can't actually check my data usage, any time I logon to a bigpond website with my username it keeps rejecting the passwords for the NBN service and only works with my wireless service password and displays that usage only.

About a week later I receive an email stating my Telstra connection is complete. A few days later my bigpond wireless service disappears from My Account and an NBN phone and bundle service appears, great! Not quite right but its progress.

7. I call Telstra to check for progress on my phone connection change over, Rep states he can't see an order and submits another one. Someone will call me back to confirm.

8. I still hear nothing and now my NBN phone and broadband bundle has disappeared from My Account. I contact support and they refresh/do things to my account to try to fix it, advise me to allow couple of days for it to update in the system.

Call NBN team, still no order for my phone service change.

9. I call NBN team again about a week later, no order "it's still sitting witht he back of house team" says an NBN case manager and says she will follow up with them and then call me back once its submitted. A few days/week go past.. still no call.

10. Still really annoyed about not being able to check my NBN data usage or see any of my services on my account, I call Support to enquire about changing the username on my bigpond or NBN service so they are both distinct instead of being the same to see if it fixes my account.. told it can't be done without disconnecting and reconnecting one of my services with a different username!

After a long discussion with someone in accounts I agree to cancel my bigpond wireless service permanently and not reconnect it again.

Bigpond wireless is cancelled so now I only have one service with that username. Allow a couple of days for Telstra's systems to update but now I when I log into my account I still cannot see any NBN services only my prepaid and mobile phones!

11. Contact My Account support again and re-explain the situation.. they "refresh" my account again, I set it up again with my Telstra account numbers and STILL NO NBN SERVICES. They log a support incident.

12. Monday this week I call NBN team again to ask what is going on with my phone service as its now been almost 4 weeks since I originally requested the change to IPPOTS and still nothing has been done, I still can't use my alarm system.

NBN case manager (a different one to last time I believe) appologises again and says they will escalate it through "back of house" as they can see this has been going on too long.

Finally! Someone who seems to be interested in at least sorting out the phone connection issue.

13. This morning I wake up to find my internet isn't working. Telstra gateway says it isn't connected, I check the NTD and notice the optical light is green but UNI-D1 isn't lit at all. I have to leave for work so I left it until I got home to look into it again.

I've just called Telstra support only to be told my services have been cancelled from my NBN connection due to the phone technology change request. THE WHOLE NBN SERVICE INCLUDING INTERNET HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

At no point in any of the phone calls above did anyone ever mention my internet would be disconnected while they change the phone service or I would have immediately questioned it. At this point I am now furious but trying not to blast the support rep who isn't reponsible for the mess.

The poor guy on support couldn't tell me anything more so he offers to transfer me to NBN team to see if someone can tell me what is going on and how long it will be before I'm reconnected.

I get transferred to someone who either can't hear me or doesn't want to talk to me so I hang up in fustration after talking to myself for a few minutes.

I call NBN team back and use option 2. to check an order status, a rep answers and he tells me he can't look at anything because his system is down and to call back tomorrow when the system is working again.

I am now quietly seething at the total incompetence I am being put through at each stage.

No phone

No internet

No ETA on a fix for either.

A cancelled wireless service (to help fix an issue Telstra created and I enquired about at the time)

Noone who seems to actually fix anything.

I can honestly see now why many Australians give Telstra the cold shoulder and refused to deal with them at all, after having reasonable dealings with Telstra in the past I am seriously regretting ever bothering with this. Something that should have been as simple as ordering a new NBN phone and internet package has turned into a total nightmare.

Can any of the Telstra reps on this forum please help in any way with either of these issues especially with the cancelled NBN services? I have been very patient, understanding and given Telstra so many chances to get this right and sort out the mess but I am out of options and totally frustrated at dealing with people who are either no help at all or at worst totally incompetent.

My next step will be to take this to TIO if I'm not reconnected by COB tomorrow. I've had enough!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
kat07
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Total Telstra NBN incompetence

From experience, submitting a complaint via the Ombudsman is the only thing that gets swift action.
Patrice_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Silverbullit,

This definitely doesn't sound like the best experience so far and I am very sorry about this delay that you have experienced. 

Realistically via this thread we would not be able to investigate all of your concerns as this requires account access which we can not access via information supplied via Crowd Support. 

So we can investigate this further for you are you able to complete the email section on this page: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints and PM me the reference number you are sent so I can escalate this to an NBN Case Manager for you to review?

-Patrice

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Silverbullit

The latest update on this;

On Thursday morning I called the fibre team again who could only tell me he was going to raise another order to have the services reconnected (why haven't they already been reordered after they were cancelled.. was anyone going to do that??) and that it would take 24-48 hours.

On further questioning the rep admitted it would probably take "the back of house team" 24-48 hours to raise the order with NBNco which given previous experience waiting for "back of house team" was bound to be a lot longer than 2 days and then NBNco would have to actually action the order.

I insist on speaking to a manager, his manager raises an order to NBNco for me directly while I'm on the phone to him to restore the internet and phone but insists a technician appointment is required and the earliest date is the following Friday morning next week. He cannot explain why a technician is needed to connect a service that was already working until Telstra disconnected it. He also explains that neither the internet and phone won't work until the technician has attended even though the technician is needed to "change settings" (what the hell?) to make the phone connection work.

So I have to wait more than a week for a technician to attend to do something to my working NBN box before anything will work again even though the internet was working previously.

An NBN case manager (another different case manager) calls me last night (Friday evening) to confirm the situation with my NBN. I ask him to explain why this is being done, why a technician is required as I am quite capable of plugging a phone cable into the NTD and why this cannot be reconnected any quicker.

Apparently NBNco are insisting on sending a technician to connect the battery backup to my NTD for the phone due to it being a UNI-V based service. I already have the NBN battery backup installed, it was done when my fibre drop and NTD was installed! The NBN technician visit is completely pointless as they will see its already installed and just leave again.

I read out all the serial numbers and part numbers on the NBN battery backup box twice (his computer lost the information the first time he saved it) so the case manager can inform NBNco that it is already installed.. its now Friday night so noone at NBNco will see this until Monday at the earliest so he thinks its unlikely anything will happen until at least Monday or Tuesday now assuming NBNco still don't insist on sending a tech out anyway otherwise I'm stuck until next Friday for absolutely no reason.

This evening (Saturday) I received a bill notification on my iPhone for more than $800! This is more than 2x times what I would expect my montly bill would be after NBN services are added. My Account doesn't show the detailed bill yet so I have no idea what's causing it and after 20 minutes on hold to the billing enquiries team I am answered by a rep who explains he cannot help me due to a Telstra system outage and to call back tomorrow when everything should be working again.

My blood is now beyond boiling!

Silverbullit

@Patrice wrote:

Hi Silverbullit,

This definitely doesn't sound like the best experience so far and I am very sorry about this delay that you have experienced. 

Realistically via this thread we would not be able to investigate all of your concerns as this requires account access which we can not access via information supplied via Crowd Support. 

So we can investigate this further for you are you able to complete the email section on this page: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints and PM me the reference number you are sent so I can escalate this to an NBN Case Manager for you to review?

-Patrice

Thanks Patrice but I have already pushed this issue as far as an NBN Case Manager insists they can push it but I am still unlikely to get a fast resolution.

seb16291

What do I need to do to have one of their incompetent employees to fix my issues with the NBN.

It s been 2 months that they are aware that my speed connection is shaping and promise to fix the problem within 24 to 48 hours but it s been two months. It is ridiculous, stay away from Telstra, it s my advice.

Suppose to get a speed of 100 mb, but I only get 3 mb even though I have been waiting for these stupid liars to call me back.

The last employee begged me to give them a last chance promising that she will call back no matter what after the weekend but two weeks later, I am still waiting. I dont have any pity anymore for Telstra and I wont pay the next bills. Captureedee.JPG

Telstra real Speed

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey seb16291,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

Not the experience that we like to hear of at all and I do apologise for the issues that you have had with this shaping being removed from your account Smiley Sad

This has been raised with the correct team to have the order for the shaping removed as the order has been stuck in the system. I have sent through an request for contact to the consultant that has this issue raised further so they can get you an update on what state this is at.

Please allow 48 hours for this to be completed with them.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AndrewGGamlyn

And I thought my experience was bad.

The NBN service (oxymoron) is a case study in what not to do.

AndrewGGamlyn

Letter to the Minister appears to get a response as well.  

Unfortunately, the response is yet more gratuitous crap.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit