Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Transfer from Telstra cable to NBN FRUSTRATING & a DISASTER !!! HFC Activation???

I have recently transitioned from the ever reliable Telstra Cable to Telstra NBN - and what a complete cluster this has been!.  No one has any accountability and speed issues can not be fixed due to my account status - which has remained in the provisioning state for almost 3 weeks!! 

I got my NBN equipment on 28 March 2017 and whilst everything works the internet does not work satisfactorily or inaccordance with the speed bundle that i am paying for!

I was previously a Telstra Ultimate Cable Customer that was told i must transition over to NBN.  So i did with extreme hesitation - it has been a complete disaster to date.... let me explain. 

Since the 29 of March i have been calling daily at least 2-3 times to work out what it takes to move my account from "PROVISIONING" to COMPLETE so that a speed boost can be applied to my account.   I feel sorry for the customer service people at the other end of the phone, while very polite they are absolutely useless.  I have been told the following on numerous occassions:

• Please contact us during working hours to resolve
  • Your account will be 'completed' in 24 hrs (this has been the longest 24hr I have ever seen)
  • It is not a Telstra problem it is NBN.   After calling NBN they say quite rightly ask that your service working - i say yes "but" the speed is very slow (around 12-18 MBPS) when i was getting between 80-90MBPS with Cable??  I Agree with NBN it is not their fault but something that Telstra has cocked up!!
  • This evening (12 April 2017) - I have now been told that I now need to wait for another 48hrs if not a week to ensure that my order will be completed.  I have now been told this there is a HFC Activation issue whcih can not be resolved wihtin 48 hrs (weird how i was asked to wait for 48 hours then told it might take a week ??) as well as a BRI activation?   I have started to lose faith in Telstra and humanity !

God knows what this latest round of activation issues are with NBN and Telstra - both seem to be pointing the finger at each other and not taking ownership of the issue. 

What makes this even worse is that I run a small business from home which requires high-speed internet for teleconferencing and video.  It has been embarressing trying to work from home with constant drop outs and fragmented conversations when video conferencing.  I am not able to function correctly and have lost business as a result.  Should or can I bill Telstra/NBN for lost income ??? Yeah right !  I am paying for a service that I am not getting,  After being with Telstra for over 15 years - I think I have had enough and am seriously considering moving to a new provider. 

I'd appreciate if anyone else has had this issue with delayed provisioning and speed boost not being applied due to some HFC Activation and BRI Activation?

Please help !!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Transfer from Telstra cable to NBN FRUSTRATING & a DISASTER !!! HFC Activation???

@jddeo

dunno but this doesnt sound to good either

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/04/australia-is-launching-an-nbn-speed-monitoring-program/

sorry page link doesnt match article title

basically False HFC Activations and NBN has supposedly acknowledged its there fault in the article maybe you are subject to this issue

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Highlighted

Re: Transfer from Telstra cable to NBN FRUSTRATING & a DISASTER !!! HFC Activation???

Thanks for the response.

I have been on the phone again to Telstra and they said that i need to wait for a further 3 weeks !!  Yep thats 3 weeks.  I dont understand this!!!   

If anyone can please help I would love to hear from you.

Highlighted

I've just read the article ... I'm in one of the affected areas being Glen Waverley - but what I dont understand is that my neighbout across the road (literally!!) has transitioned from Telstra Cable to NBN - while she had some teething problems with her telephone her internet speed is close to 75-85 MBPS ..  This just makes it even more confusing.  

This is a cop out - COME ON TELSTRA & NBN get your act together.  

@jddeo

sorry yeh i cant help you at least you have been quoted 3 weeks at that time you might be able to get a little bit more done I feel sorry for the poor buggers that might be waiting 6 months though because of the screw up

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Hi jddeo, Once nbn is available in your area you have 18 Months to move across to nbn, They Lied to you about you must move to nbn, You have 18 Months before you have to.move across.and they can't make you move till you want to move, after the 18 Months then and only then can they make you move to nbn Simple Truth is telstra or nbn Lied to you. You are not the only one that has been lied too, there are thousands in the same boat as you.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is parts of glen waverley already active for over a year so that is up there.

Also if you want to change certain things, the is certain things that cannot be changed during the restricted sale and stop sale periods (stop sale and restricted sale start well before the 18 months is over)

Also if you have a business service you can discuss loss of business due to the failure, but personal service do not have any allowance for loss of business.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Yep - i know I have been lied to - I'm kinda over this aspect of it.  I just want this issue to be resolved.

I just do not understand how NBN/Telstra can roll out a package with the promise of delivering a service and then not even come close to meeting the customer requirements.  The connection I have is effectively ADSL - I elected and paid for cable for a reason and expected and "was told" I would have a better more reliable serivce.  Whilst I can expect teething problems - this is just ridiculous! No line of sight of when this will be completed..  I'm just waiting for the next set of conversations which will now be with technical support and billing to ensure that I do not pay for a service that I am not receiving. 

What a waste of time.

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

jddeo Good luck. Maybe people should stop paying until they get the service they signed up for. Maybe the answer is to find another provider with better customer service. Anyway Good Luck.
Highlighted

Until the issue is resolved a new provider wouldn't be able to do anything but still get you caught in the nbn bubble. Telstra need to work on their service levels but every provider is having issues with the activations and the like on nbn... appointments/activations/connections/repairs are all at the whim of nbn and what they feel like on a given day....
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

I am also wary of this - if Telstra have this HFC issue so do all other providers.
What I can't quite understand is that my neighbour directly opposite us - also with Telstra has perfectly working NBN at high speed.

I have a feeling by the time NBN and Telstra gets their issues sorted out this technology will become redundant- if it isn't already!!
Highlighted

@jddeo

given that there is actually 2 parts to the issue 

Part 1) poor signal strength coming from the NBN Point of Interconnection (PoI)

Part 2) This LOC ID mismatch causes the modem to attempt to connect to the wrong Point of Interconnection

I can only assume that as she is opposite to you that her POI is a different one to yours.

so if her POI is off to the left of the street yours might be off to the right.

Highlighted

Can someone please add a citation for the claim that 'you don't need to change from cable to NBN until 18 months after the NBN is available in your area'?

I am worried that the same thing will happen to us. NBN is coming sometime between October and December this year to our area, so I want to be prepared. It would be very valuable to be able to quote some regulation back at the person trying to move us to NBN.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MJ

This information from the ACCC should help you with your concerns.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/national-broadband-network/moving-to-the-nbn-for-consumers

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hmmm... Not happy about this NBN switch.

I live in Springvale and for the past few months have received regular letters from telstra urging me to switch from my current (and very reliable) cable internet to nbn...

After reading this I'm just going to hang on and ignore the letters and wait until a techie knocks at my door with a pair of side-cutters in his hand!

Mike.

Highlighted

@mingle check your end date on nbn website because if you haven’t changed by that date (or if it only shows your ready for service date, it is 18 months after that) then you will just be force disconnected when he old network is deactivated. It is all govt regulated, Telstra just have to follow the rules.
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have been told today that we will be disconnected and NBN has not been in the area 18mths I only moved into the house in March 17 and had cable installed as we have been with cable for 5 yrs and have no issues with the speed. 

I am not happy I have friends in the area who have changed across and I was told i have no choice as the disconnection has been processed for my phone and cable so either change or loose internet completely. I hate that I am being forced to have a substandard service with NBN that drops out and has really bad speed 

Not sure what I can do. They have booked a technician I am yet to get the appointment 

Highlighted

If it is coming up to 18 months from the areas Ready For Service date then there is nothing that Telstra or you can do. The govt and nbnco made the rules so you didn’t.
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit