CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Trouble connecting access point. Strong signal, no internet access

Answered

I installed a wifi repeater/extender as an AP on the home network. All seems fine but no matter what happens, the device gets a great signal but "no internet access" The device (cheapie from amazon) has few options, but I tried changing the dhcp server IP address into the range using 10.0.1.XXX (tried 1, 138, 10, 140) along with leaving it as default which was 192.168.10.1 (which I thought may be the issue) I have tried turning dhcp off on the AP, although I had no confidence in that magically working with no bridged connection. I checked parental controls, couldn't find anything. Went and manually added the AP to the ACL (for when it was wired for setup, and wireless) by mac addresses. Kind of hit my end of things I can think of trying so before I just throw my hands up and return it (it doubles the signal in strength) I though I would ask. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble connecting access point. Strong signal, no internet access

Access Mode is were the extender is connected to modem by ethernet port.

Repeater Mode is were the extender is connected to modem by WiFi,

Ho many times do I have to try and explain this. You can mot set extender up as an access point connected to modem by WiFi.

You are trying to do the impossible. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

• Hi - did you power restart the A/P after whatever you settled on in regards to the final configuration? Let us know the brand and model numbers of the modem and repeater/extender.
Highlighted

What model modem and what model access point do you have?

Highlighted

Sorry, yeah, I did leave out some important info. Gateway is a Technicolor TG800vac and strangely enough, I got this email today and the AP/repeater is number 2 on this list of "cool gadgets" I still am unsure who actually makes it.  https://tinify.ir/SRuGTe

Highlighted

If using device as access point it should be set to access point mode, DHCP disabled or auto and the Ethernet port connected to LAN port on modem.

If using as WiFi repeater set  to factory reset device, set to repeater mode with DHCP disbled or auto. Connect to modem by pressing pair button on modem for at least 5 seconds and then pressing WPS button on extender.

Highlighted

Pretty much tells me all I already knew, but nothing about NOT having it plugged into the network (gateway) when it is set as an access point. When it is plugged in, the device couldn't care less about being a dhcp server or not since it won't be no matter what. and as an extender I would prefer not going at half duplex speeds so prefer the AP mode.

Highlighted

You should not need to change any settings in the modem.  All the settings have to be done in the extender and without the model or a link to the manual can't give you any detailed instructions. Some extenders don't even support access point mode.

Highlighted

Hi - just to be clear, did you get it to work in a formal Access Point Mode with a backhaul Ethernet connection to the modem or not?

Given its country of manufacture, the letters /AP could apply to a limited interpretation and not one that is customary; the LAN port on the WA305 may be for front-haul connection only. It's prime feature is marketed as a Wi-Fi Range Extender pairing to the modem's 2.4 Ghz SSID, which is a shared backhaul to the primary modem also used by front haul connected 2.4Ghz devices. The Amazon page video clip shows a guy connecting a PC to the LAN port, implying additional front haul LAN devices could be connected to the WA305 LAN port via a LAN Switch making it a multi device "Access Point". If it has no formal Access Point mode, a LAN connection back to the modem may send it into a loop.

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Wireless-Superboost-Amplifier-Integrated/dp/B085HNQYPD/ref=sr_1_7?dc...

Highlighted

When it is plugged into the modem, I was able to get it to work as an access point without issue, and still receiving device IPs in the proper range (10.0.0.1) but when it is not plugged in, even though it will give out IPs to devices in the range it wants (192.168.10.1 by default) or changing the DHCP server on the AP to 10.0.1.1 for example, it still will connect devices, and hand out IPs in that range, but then devices immediately display "no internet access" Pretty sure I am repeating myself about that. Attempting to put the access points dhcp server in the 10.0.0.x range doesn't work (nor did i think it would). So yes, it has a formal access point to be used for and it seems the ethernet port is to be used for setup, and then after, a device such as a laptop can be plugged into it as well. That being the case, then it clearly is designed to be a dedicated access point.

Highlighted

For devices to have internet access when WiFi is not connected to modem's LAN port.

1. The devices DHCP server must be disabled

2. The device WiFi has to be connected to modem's WiFi.

Highlighted

Not sure it'll help much, but you can see it clearly has a dedicated AP mode. Not sure how you think I did all the things described in OP such as changing dhcp address if it didn't have an AP mode though.

Highlighted

disabling dhcp then does not pass any IP address to a device (such as a phone). Not sure how it would be working at all if it wasn't connected as your point 2 is worded. when dhcp is disabled, all the phone does is spin away and obtaining IP address. I was hoping it would just get an IP from the gateway if the AP wasn't acting as its own dhcp server, but it doesn't.

Highlighted

Is the extender connected to modem by WiFi? Does it appear in the list of connected devices on the modem? If is is connected by WiFi to modem devices should get an IP address from the modem.

Ether the device does not support WiFi repeater mode or it is set up incorrectly

Have you tried setting up as per section six in your image using WPS. First reset extender to factory defaults. Press pair button on back of modem for at least 5 seconds then press WPS button on repeater. Once connected pair light on back of modem should turn green and stay green for 15 minutes. If unsuccessful pair button will turn red.

If you can't connect using WPS try disabling band steering in the modems 2.4 GHz  WiFi settings.

Highlighted

"Ether the device does not support WiFi repeater mode or it is set up incorrectly"????

why would i care if the repeater mode was supported?

Yes, the access point is connected by wifi, yes it shows up in the connected devices via wifi, no it doesn't get a visible ip address in the gateway. i have done both setting it up manually and using the WPS button (which is how it currently sits) with the _AF in the ssid name.

Highlighted

Hi - I am glad to have discovered your device as it broadens the scope of available choices people have with home networking and hope we can get it working properly. Not sure if you have seen this YouTube clip shows you, after first Reset, how to set up the SuperBoost in Repeater Mode in two ways [(i) via Wi-Fi - simple no fuss method or (ii) via Ethernet connected PC to the SuperBoost whilst the PC must be connected to Modem's Wi-Fi network] or then the one you want, at 3:00 minutes - Access Point Mode. In the later mode, it requires you to manually enter the specific SSID, Channel, Security method and Network Key parameters of the host Wi-Fi Modem. If you have followed these instructions and it doesn't work, you may have a faulty unit. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnavCkrwrcA

This little devil is sold around the world by many companies under their own brands . The most entertaining advertising clip which has the hallmarks of a Breaking News event typically shown on Current Affair programs. It reveals how two named engineers discovered a "dirty little secret" set by carriers which prevents us all from high speed experiences on the Internet. The speed test shown improves throughput from under 1 Mbps to over 250 Mbps. If you get yours to work, please let us know if your speed results get elevated to steroidal heights. Maybe our carriers in Australia are more ethical than those overseas!

This is one of those ads that you can sometimes skip before you want to view the actual YouTube clip - its 4:29 minutes, so I hope it shows OK on the link copy pasted and brings a smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMNDMlHpC0

Highlighted

You can't set up device as access point and not have it connected by LAN cable, To connect by WiFi device must be set up as repeater.

If it was connected correctly the WiFi SSID should be in this format xxxx_ext were xxxx is the SSID of the modem.

Have you tried resetting both modem and extender, disabling band steering in the modem and then trying to connect using WPS?

Highlighted

I mistyped above. it is blah_ext, not _af. anyway, that is how it is setup. and yes it can be setup as an access point without a lan, but after you set it to access point mode, then you lose the ability to connect to it, that is why it tells you to do setup with it plugged in.

Highlighted

If the extender was working correctly once it is set up as repeater it should still be accessible using the IP address assigned by the modem.

Highlighted

in theory, yes it should, but once it is in ap mode, you cannot access it via ip anymore.

Highlighted

Before setting the extender as a repeater set its IP address so that it is in the address range of the TG800 but is not the same as any of the devices connected to the gateway. (Example 10.0.0.200)

Set up the extender from scratch (Factory reset) and connect to PC by LAN cable.

Set the IP address of extender so that it is in the address range of the TG800 but is not the same as any of the devices connected to the gateway. (Example 10.0.0.200)

Once the IP address of extender is change might need to disconnect and reconnect PC before you can access it GUI at the new IP address.

Set the extender to repeater  mode and connect to gateway's WiFi

Highlighted

That is some funny stuff. Maybe it would be true if this thing would work lol. For the heck of it, I went ahead and did as this video said (again, since it is exactly what I did initially) this time making no changes, left the ssid default, auto default, only input a password. Still does the same thing, great connection speed, "no internet access" Oh well, I don't believe this is a winning cause

Highlighted

I cannot tell if you are being serious and just mistyping, but the WHOLE point of this is to NOT use the device as a repeater but as an access point. You keep telling me to do this and that before using 

@cf4 wrote:

Before setting the extender as a repeater set its IP address so that it is in the address range of the TG800 but is not the same as any of the devices connected to the gateway. (Example 10.0.0.200)

Set up the extender from scratch (Factory reset) and connect to PC by LAN cable.

Set the IP address of extender so that it is in the address range of the TG800 but is not the same as any of the devices connected to the gateway. (Example 10.0.0.200)

Once the IP address of extender is change might need to disconnect and reconnect PC before you can access it GUI at the new IP address.

Set the extender to repeater  mode and connect to gateway's WiFi

repeater mode. I have done all of this again, except doing what I want, setting it to the AP mode. And as the very first post says, it will allow connections great, but always has "no internet access" And yes, once it is unplugged from the cable and is successful in AP mode, you cannot just login to it via browser again. even with the IP I have given it. As soon as it hits the gateway via wifi it changes IP obviously and doesn't allow you back in. At this point, on wifi, the gateway just shows this wifi adapter and NO IP address.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Access Mode is were the extender is connected to modem by ethernet port.

Repeater Mode is were the extender is connected to modem by WiFi,

Ho many times do I have to try and explain this. You can mot set extender up as an access point connected to modem by WiFi.

You are trying to do the impossible. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You have any idea how easy it would've been to say this device has to be plugged in to be an access point? 

Thank you for finally getting to that point. Even if the wording constantly in your posts was so confusing.

Highlighted

What is confusing about the first sentence in my second post?

"If using device as access point it should be set to access point mode, DHCP disabled or auto and the Ethernet port connected to LAN port on modem."

In the image off the instructions point 3 of the AP setup also states "Connect Ethernet port off Extender to LAN port on router"

Highlighted

Ok, look, and I clearly responded that did NOT say anything about when it is NOT plugged in. You should've realized just then I was barking up the wrong tree and said what you just said now. Done. I said thank you.

Highlighted

Glad that it lived up to its stated capabilities. A Shakespeare once said, "All's well that ends well". Prior to reading your last post, having read its 1.5 out of 5 ratings on Product Reviews website and people's experiences with the Kogan branded unit, I was ready to dismiss its credentials as a worthy product.

If you find its actual in-use performance does not meet your expectations in the future, Netgear has a budget dual band alternative using external antennae and a physical switch to move it from Repeater Mode to Access Point Mode. In Access Point mode, it offers the benefits of 802.11 ac speeds. For people who aren't in a position to run an Ethernet cable between sites, its Repeater Mode uses Netgear FastLane backhaul to the modem, allowing the customer to choose a dedicated 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz band for Wi-Fi backhaul link. Very flexible as it allows customers to configure their location and device mix to suit their personal needs. 

If you are intending to upgrade your modem to the Telstra Gen 2 in the future, you may also wish to look at the Telstra Smart Booster 2  - both are Wi-Fi Alliance EasyMesh compliant. 

Highlighted

Thanks for the info. I already had packed this back up to return to amazon once, but figured I would ask in here. I hadn't bothered with AP since Y2K in a corporate environment, so I hand't realized that they would still need to be wired to function as an AP still. Thought they had evolved since then. Oh well, live and learn. But I will say this, when that thing was plugged in and working, it was doubling my wifi speed. So it did make a difference, but since repeater mode still is limited to half duplex, I have no need for this $20 toy. Thanks for the info though on The Telstra Gen 2 though. I have only been in Australia since August, so I am not fully on top of their hardware at all. Used to dealing with Comcast (if you have heard of that nightmare company). Thanks for the info though, I was merely trying to get a better signal in another room, but it isn't a dead area or anything, so I think when that upgrade comes around for us, the smart booster will suffice. Until then, I'll deal with what I have. But much appreciate your replies ( and cf4 as well)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit