Benm
Level 2: Rookie

Trying to get cable connected, but 3 months on still no luck.

The situation.
There is cable in my street. There are pits with two way taps for every two houses.
There is a pit at my driveway with both taps in use.
My land was subdivided off another block.
I have a long driveway, the length of coax from the tap to my modem will be about 75m.
My electrician has layed conduit from my new house to the pit.

I raised an order to get cable installed, but was then advised that it was not available at my address and that I'd need to get a commercial quote to get the service to my house.
A contractor then advised me that the distance from the house to the tap is a problem, and it's going to be a big job. He'll have to pull thicker cable to my house and fit some extra equipment and it was going to be $1.5k at my expense.

I've now asked around on whirlpool and it appears that the distance is not a big job, nor is it unusual.
All that is required is a tap upgrade on the street and the cable can be run to my house. If the signal strength is low at the end of the line an amplifier can be fited.

How do I arrange to get my cable connected?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Trying to get cable connected, but 3 months on still no luck.

Hi BenM, 

At this stage, the only way that we would connect you to cable is on payment of the quote by our Commercial Quote Team. 

Whilst I understand you've had third party information, in the end this is a contractor certified to do this work, and is fully aware of what is involved in the process, and has come out and physically taken a look at what's involved.

Any work being undertaken is being done just to connect you to the network, so it isn't of benefit to others in the area, leaving yourself responsible for the charges.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Benm

Ok.
What's the usual cost for a new connection and about 80m of cable?
Renee
Support Team
Support Team

Heya BenM,

We wouldn't be able to provide you a figure for total cost as this is worked out once you have a commercial quote completed.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Benm

I have been waiting about six weeks, still haven't received a commercial quote. I started this process in early January, now four months has passed, I still have no idea at all how much it might cost to have cable connected.

I don't know how to make this happen. Am I doing something wrong?
thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Benm,

I'm just about to send you a private message so I can get information from you and follow up on your Commercial Quote.

-Dylan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit