CrAy-Z
Level 2: Rookie

Turn of Telstra SPAM filter?

Wondering if there is a way to turn off the Telstra SPAM filter. The product is a load of garbage. 

I am finding that legitimate emails keep getting filtered while I am still receiving regular SPAM directly to my inbox. The filter is useless unless I can specifically whitelist addresses to let through. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Turn of Telstra SPAM filter?

There is no overall Telstra Spam filter..  users can set up their own through via webmail..

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to/how-can-i-block-spam-on-my-telstra-email

You can edit/delete the rules you setup..

Managing spam is not an easy task due to the wide spread use of it.. and the subtle changes the originators make to ensure their messages still get to you and/or bypass any rules you put in place. It takes perseverance, practice and patience to work out what sort of rule works best..

But my own experience is that it is easier to set up and manage spam rules (and other email handling rules) in a decent email client - Outlook, Thunderbird, Mailspring etc., than using Webmail. The native Windows 10 Mail app isn't so good either.

For mobile devices I have had success with GMail as well..

I am not an Apple fan boy, but I believe the native apple email app isn't too bad either..

The only thing you can do is research available clients and then try them, one at a time, to see what works for you..  I use Outlook mostly and by setting up email accounts as IMAP, creating folder structures and rules I have an easily managed email setup (over multiple devices), that I can save, manage, backup etc., locally on my own NAS rather than rely on and sort of online storage.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
CrAy-Z

Thanks Stevo, but that response isn’t entirely right and doesn’t address the issue I’m having. 

Telstra has other articles (can’t link - on a phone) that mention their Bigpond SPAM filter and how flagging messages as junk in Webmail helps it learn etc, but it seems there is no mechanism to whitelist. 

I currently have my Bigpond email collected by a POP3 agent, as well as 2x iPhones set up for IMAP.  The same iPhones also collect mail from Gmail, Hotmail and Outlook.com accounts. It is only Bigpond email that sees some messages automatically placed in a junk folders on the server/phones and the POP3 agent never sees these messages on the Bigpond account at all as it only downloads inbox. Unless somehow one of the iPhones is only doing junk classification o the Bigpond account, and always does it before the POP3 client can download email there is something on the Telstra side that is doing it.

Im more than happy/comfortable setting up my own email filtering - my POP3 device does a great job once the mail is Downloaded. 

Your advice on filtering is good for others but in my case isn’t the solution for my problem. 

SteveW_52

Yes the Telstra/Bigpond 'Spam Filter' gets mentioned, but when you read about how to set it up, it is just basic rule setting in Webmail, on your account..   there is probably some level of system wide spam blocking carried out by admins, but not that you can look at nor manage..

As I suggested, you can delete any rules that have been setup on your account. Personally, I don't have any set, nor any folder structure..  my Telstra/Bigpond accounts are as vanilla as I can get them..  all my filtering, including spam handling, is done in my email clients of choice..

If there are no rules in place and you are still getting emails filtered into different folders then the problem is deeper than any level you can manage..  but try clearing out all rules first.

I would also recommend that if you are going to use IMAP on any account in any client, then all devices/clients using that account should be setup to IMAP..  mixing the two can cause some weird issues.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

I have the odd email ending up in the Junk folder without ever having flagged any as junk. This indicates that the Telstra Mail server must have some inherent rules.

You could change your email client (that is currently set up for POP) to IMAP to access all folders, hence giving it access to the Junk folder.  You could then set up rules to move its contents elsewhere.

CrAy-Z

Thanks. I’ve been right through and deliberately keep mine vanilla as well. No rules, nothing set up. Still gets filtered. 

Happy to have POP and IMAP coexisting - I do this for a specific reason and it works for my use case. 

The fact that Telstra filters inconsistently with no control is a dealbreaker for me.  Messages that don’t get auto flagged include obvious junk that I can tell just by reading the subject line while payslips from my wife’s employer and plus other emails from friends/family regularly get blocked. 

So it would seem from what you are saying is that the “fix” will either be:

- regularly check my junk folder for legitimate email. At which point why have a junk folder if I have to check it daily?

- set up a rule to move all messages from Junk back to inbox (I could make a rule for specific messages but I’d still have to check junk regularly if I got a new sender that didn’t match the rule. 

interested in whether there is anyone out there with an idea of a solution. 

have already dropped 2 other Telstra services due to price/lack of features compared to others - might be time to drop another one…..

CrAy-Z

Thanks - Not fussed that the junk folder isn’t syncing to the POP client. 

good to see I’m not the only one. 

SteveW_52

In my own opinion, Telstra email services are less than great..  so I only use them where I have to.. and that is for 3 accounts..  but I never see anything in the junk folder..  so if rules are being applied to your email account, then it is for different incoming senders than those that hit my inbox on the server..  those addresses might have been flagged as junk/spam by the system or administrators for all sorts of reasons..  if there is an existing rule 'somewhere' in the Telstra server, you writing a whitelist type rule in Webmail, to send those junk emails to the inbox might not work and could get the Telstra servers very confused..

If you used IMAP on all devices, then you could pull down the junk folder on the server along with the others and then apply local rules in the client to move the emails you want, to the appropriate folder..

While I appreciate that you might not want to do it that way, you might have to do it to resolve your problems..

Stevo 52
Dowser

Steve and myself have both made similar suggestions.

I concur with Steve’s statement “those addresses might have been flagged as junk/spam by the system or administrators for all sorts of reasons”.

This would make sense. The rules could be a an accumulation of those reasons encountered by multiple users receiving ’junk’ from multiple sources.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit