Shari96
Level 1: Cadet

Tv won’t connect

Hi I’m having trouble with my tv and wifi connection, my Telstra wifi name won’t show up on the list of names when needing to connect 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Tv won’t connect

The modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi could be faulty. This is a common problem with the DJA0231 modem. By default the modem uses the same WiFi name for both the 2.4 GHz WiFi and the 5 GHz WiFi. Most budget TVs only support 2.4 GHz WiFi and if the modem's 2.4 GHz is faulty want see the modem's WiFi but if your other devices are dual band they will still see and connect to modem's 5 GHz WiFi.

To check if modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you disable band steering in modem. This will add -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi is working should now see two WiFi signals from modem on the WiFi devices that can connect. The normal WiFi name and one with -5G added. If you can only see the WiFi with -5G added then 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

To disable band steering open a web browser on a device connected to modem, go to http://192.168.0.1 and log in to modem password is Telstra. Go to WiFi and remove tick next to band steering in the 2.4GHz settings and save the settings.

Jupiter

You may need to log in to your modem, go to the wifi settings and turn off Band Steering so that the modem has separate 2.4GHz & 5GHz networks. If after that you don't have 2 networks (a 2.4GHz one with a name like Telstraxxxxxx and a 5GHz with a name like Telstraxxxxx-5G), then the 2.4GHz radio in your modem may be faulty.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

This is a common issue which has been answered many times.

It is likely to be cause by the 2.4 GHz band failing in your modem. You need to check if this is the case by disabling Band Steering and perhaps Protected Mode Frames in the Wi-Fi area of the type of modem you have. Disable those 'features' and save the setting in each case.

Now when you try to connect from a laptop or PC, you should see two seperate Wi-Fi names - one (2.4) GHz)with the usual Wi-Fi name you would use and one with -5G aooended to it (obviously the 5 GHz band).

In your case you will probably only see the on, 5G band. This means you need to contact Telstra to arrange a replacement of your faulty modem - whichever model that is (from a label on the bottom or from the GUI screen when you log into it.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit