yashak
Level 3: Gumshoe

Two Gamers On Bigpond Cant Play Together - Why??!!

Im having massive issues trying to settle the ping on both computers I have set up with Bigpond Broadbrand

We were given the Telstra modem but that made issues worse

We currently have this setup - a Belkin N300 Modem which is directly connected to the wall, plus each computer has a Wifi USB Stick to connect to the modem

When one computer is online, the other is fine. But when we both want to play a game together online, one computer is fine and the other lags. Its always mine with no problem, but My Fiance's computer is the one that lags. Even if he logged on first

Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this. I am assuming its because we are on the same IP address?

By the way, I am about 5 meters away from the modem

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may give

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Two Gamers On Bigpond Cant Play Together - Why??!!

What happens if you connect both computers directly to the router (all be it temporary)? As it seems you are using USB to wifi device and not a native wifi device, things can go a little crazy as the computer has to attempt to share its resources, that could possibly be part of the issue?

Cheers,
Dave

yashak
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks, my computer does not have an ethernet card but my Fiance's does - I'll have him get a cable long enough to run from his computer to the modem and see how that goes.

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Yashak,

What game are you trying to play? If it's one that either one of you are hosting and not an online game then it might be worth installing Hamachi or similar software, and trying via that.

If it's an online game (Moba / MMO) ensure that uPnP is enabled on your modem, otherwise you won't both be able to connect via the same port for the same application and this can cause connection / lag issues.
Lathania

Thanks, the game is WoW (MMO) uPnP is already enabled on the modem 

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Hmm definately odd, It might be worth trying another modem.
Lathania

Alternatively, if one or both of you tried some third party software called "PingZapper" (Formally WoW Tunnells) that might make a difference.
Lathania

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit