team555
Level 1: Cadet

Tx/RX Packet Loss and Jitter etc (

I was on cable (no issues, perfect internet) but Telstra connected me to a plan I didn't select. When I tried to fix it they forced me on fibre.

For a few months I have been having issues with my connection which could be summarised as below:

- random but consistent slow speeds

- random but very consistent packet loss and instant jitter (Tx and Rx). Seems to swap from either just Tx packet loss or just Rx packet loss.

- random but very consistent drops outs during which the internet doesn't work at all, which the quickest way to resolve is to disconnect from the network then reconnect to the same. Instant fix but jitter and packet loss remains.

I have been having this problem for ages and last time I went through with telstra, hard resetting both modems worked (holding down reset 20 seconds).

Since then resetting the modems doesn't seem to work.

Anyone have any advice to save me going through hours of pointless Telstra tech support?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Tx/RX Packet Loss and Jitter etc (

If this is only occurring on WiFi devices you could try turning off Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF) in the modem's advanced WiFi settings.

Another thing you could do is download and do a test with ping plotter to see were the packet loss and high ping is occurring.

team555

Thanks for the advice.

I turned off PMF as you suggested and last night my internet was almost perfect. I thought you had fixed it.

Just turned it back on tonight however and having constant Tx packet loss between 2-10% with Tx instant jitter  spiking relatively consistently (10+ times per minute) to 200ms+.

Every couple of minutes I get 0% Tx packet loss for a few seconds then it bursts back up. 

Rx packet loss is perfect at 0% however. 

team555

Just to make it more confusing, I did the full restart of the modems and disabled PMF again.. Now I have 0.00% Tx packet loss and am getting 2-10% Rx packet loss...

cf4

How are you measuring the packet loss?

team555

I was using StarTrinity CST.

After begging Tesltra for a new modem and them constantly refusing and frankly wasting my time, I just borrowed a mates spare modem and boom problem solved.

Cheers for your help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit