Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Ultimate Cable Packet Loss

Hi,

Since it appears Telstra's phone based technical support is pretty much useless in regards to understanding how a network works I've been trying to get them to fix an issue I have with packet loss.

Starting back about 3 months ago I started experiencing packet loss during about 10 A.M to 2 P.M then at random times during on peak times at 5P.M to 8P.M ish. It's mostly noticable while doing tasks that require a stable internet connection like gaming, streaming and remote desktoping.

I've called Telstra numerous times, have had 3 technicians out and have replaced everything on my premise (New modem and replaced everything in the cabinet in the apartment building) but issue still persists. The latest escalation was closed with the reasoning that I'm getting my max download speed so there isn't an issue... Sure I might be getting 100+ mbps but what use is that if I can't reliably use the internet... seriously? Does anyone in the cable faults area actually know how a network works?

My latest reference #  for todays call I lodged is: INT 1-1247158694363

Previous one: INT 1-1221199514072

Two trouble tickets: 

TT1-1233378836106

TT1-1234158414192

I've pretty much hand fed the techs the diagnostic information from my end but given it is hard to convey some things over the phone and maybe the techs who visisted aren't relaying the information back properly it's made for quite a frustrating experience and wasted time and money from not only Telstra's side buy mine as well.

Modem stats not that there should be anything wrong with them, I mean if there is I don't know how it wasn't picked up yet...

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 438000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK cable_u1_tr2_netgear_docsis3
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate (sym/sec) Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dBmV) DOCSIS Locked
Locked QAM256 57 6952000 sym/sec 438000000 Hz 6.2 dBmV 40.7 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 129 6952000 sym/sec 359000000 Hz 5.8 dBmV 40.3 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 130 6952000 sym/sec 367000000 Hz 6.5 dBmV 40.9 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 131 6952000 sym/sec 375000000 Hz 5.9 dBmV 40.3 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 132 6952000 sym/sec 383000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 41.0 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 133 6952000 sym/sec 391000000 Hz 6.4 dBmV 40.6 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 134 6952000 sym/sec 399000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 40.9 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 135 6952000 sym/sec 407000000 Hz 7.2 dBmV 41.6 dB EuroDOCSIS
Locked QAM256 136 6952000 sym/sec 415000000 Hz 6.2 dBmV 40.7 dB EuroDOCSIS
Not Locked Unknown 0 0 sym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknow
Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate (Ksym/sec) Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV)
Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 49000000 Hz 52.0 dBmV
Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Using youtube as an example dropping 11% of my packets over a 10 minute period should be pretty unacceptable for any network, hell any packet loss... but apparently it's alright according to the last case manager that closed my ticket.

youtube

Given this happens to everything I'm doing at the time I'm dropping packets it's not service or destrination specific, the issue appears to be at the first hop (10.223.192.1) that hits the Telstra network which I can only assume that's a device teminiating my connection in the Exchange. I've given them the IP address of the device. Is there anyway I can escalate this passed the level one screen readers who have done the same diagnostic tests for the passed 3 months? Ideally I'd like to resolve this without lodging a TIO complaint as realistically they have more than enough problems with now but if I can get a resolution to what should technically be a pretty easy thing to identify I will.

Thanks,

Anthony

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Ultimate Cable Packet Loss

Ok so someone from "Escalations" called me at 6:30 P.M today and said we can't find anything wrong with your line (Yeah no $%^&I'd hope not after 3 techs). So she said we'll escalate this to Telstra Platinum but it'll cost $120. She said I won't get charged if they can't fix it so I'm like sure... If they can fix it I don't care about $120, especially if they can just identify where the issue is (Weather it's my side or not) but given I know it's mostly probably not my problem I'm not going charged so I say go ahead.

• Wait on the line for 20 minutes for the escalations person to transfer me (The time waited makes sense after what the Platinum person tells me later)
  • Platinum support person remotes in to my machine
  • Attempts to locate my modem. Doesn't get ipconfig to see what my gateway is just assumes it's on 192.168.0.1
  • Tell her my modems in bridge mode, navigate to both the Telstra model and my router and she tries to change the WiFi channel on my Asus modem. Which to be fair would make some sembelence of sense IF I didn't tell her at the start I was using ethernet
  • Show her pingplotter where at the time they called my internet was relativley stable but there were a few occurances she didn't know where I was getting the "ping plotter" information from and I had to explain it's basically a traceroute/pathping
  • She sees some packet loss
  • Proceeds to do a speed test and sees im getting 110mbps and says it looks fine (No $%^&... speeds not my problem) so there is no problem

The moment she says there isn't any issue because you are getting better speeds than the average person and you can access web pages so there isn't a problem I loose my **bleep** and am like... what? How can anyone who knows how a network operates say that any amount of packet loss is fine...

Then she attempts to play it down as tries to play it down to WiFi congestion, which again makes some sembelence of sense technically but not for my particular scenario. Then she says it could be general area congestion which technically could also make sense. But then again when I'm working from home and using my VPN in to work, remote desktoping to servers etc why am I getting congestion at 10A.M when everyone in my general area would be at work but not getting congestion at 7 P.M on both a weekday or weekend? 

Now realistically it's not her fault and I may have frustatingly taken from of it out on her. I assume the Platinum people are meant to do level 1 support around basic WiFi/networking troubleshooting. She did tell me she didn't want to take my call because looking over the history of my account she could see there are no issues with my line.

But here I am, looks like I'm back at the start again...

Highlighted

Re: Ultimate Cable Packet Loss

Did you get anywhere with this in the end?  

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit