Cabji
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ultimate Speed Boost in My Account

Answered

Hi there,

Today when I looked in My Account there was a message/ad from Telstra that isn't usually there:

Ultimate Speed Boost

A Speed Boost gives you access to the maximum Telstra Broadband speeds available at your home.

I checked my personal records and found that I should already be on Cable Ultimate.

speedtest.net gives me 39.7Mbps down and 2.49Mbps up speeds to the nearest Telstra server.

I have previously downloaded at speeds exceeding 10M_bytes_/sec, but rarely see that any more.

I can't find anywhere in My Account or on my invoices something that definitively says what speed connection I am on. Where can I find this?

Is the speed boost message global or only for customers not on Ultimate Cable?

EDIT

Ok, a bit more poking around and I found a whole alternate version of My Account. In there it says I am on "Connection: Ultimate - Cable". Under a section called "Add-Ons" it says "

Super Fast Speed Boost Ultimate Speed Boost

A Speed Boost gives you access to the maximum Telstra Broadband speeds available at your home."

1. What is the theoretical maximum speed that Ultimate Cable can deliver?

2. What are real world average speeds on Ultimate Cable?

3. Is this speed boost really a thing if you are on Ultimate Cable? Like I said before, I have downloaded around 10Mbyte/sec in the past but not for a while now.

4. What does Telstra gaurantee about this speed boost? My Ultimate connection has a grey area of about 5Mbytes/sec in its speed from what I've experienced. If I opt in for it, should I be expecting speed exceeding 10Mbyte/sec?

I want the fastest connection I can get but I don't want to be taken for a ride with speed boosts that may not really exist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Ultimate Speed Boost in My Account

There used to be three, they now just have two.

So the standard speed of 30/1 and boosted speed of 100/2.
I think the old middle was 50 / 2 (otherwise it was 50/1) which is likely what you are on if you are getting just under 40 download.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
DrQ

Speed Boost is only available to Cable 3.0 and FTTP customers. Cable has a standard speed of 30/1Mbps, with the speed boost that is increased to 100/2Mbps.

If you had the speedboost, it would show on the invoice with the internet service as 

"Super Fast Speed Boost - $20"

or

"Ultimate Speed Boost - $20" 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Good morning.

The message was not in My Account this morning.

Your download speed is low for Ultimate/Speed Boost...but upload good.

You may consider having Telstra technical support run some tests on your cable.

It may be that there is moisture/corrosion/a poor connection in your box outside or the street pit ????

If you are in Victoria, this is their speed testing site link         http://vic.speedtest.bigpond.net.au/

Hope this helps you....

Cheers 

Professor Phone

I'm not a Telstra employee.  I have been a mobile subscriber since 1963.

If my advice has been helpful, a Kudo  "tick"    would be most appreciated.

If my advice has solved your problem, please also mark it as a Solution.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Cabji

How do I determine if I am on Cable 3.0? I have the Netgear CG3100 modem.

I think I am, the modem says

Standard Specification CompliantEuroDOCSIS 3.0
DrQ

Yeah, DOCSIS3.0 is Cable 3.0

Helpful Links

Cabji

"Cable has a standard speed of 30/1Mbps, with the speed boost that is increased to 100/2Mbps."

So this is how i get my confusion.

I am on an Ultimate cable account (the faster plan)

I get 2Mbps upload (what you describe as "speed boost") and have in the past gotten up to 10Mbyte/sec download.

When you said "Cable has a standard speed..." you meant what Telstra call "Cable Elite"?

From what I've read there should be 3 tiers of speed: Elite, Ultimate and Speed Boosted Ultimate. Is this correct?

DrQ
Accepted Solution

There used to be three, they now just have two.

So the standard speed of 30/1 and boosted speed of 100/2.
I think the old middle was 50 / 2 (otherwise it was 50/1) which is likely what you are on if you are getting just under 40 download.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

Cabji

Ok. So my account just appears as though I am on the fast account but it no longer is due to plan changes, hence I get the speed boost message? I may have to do a webchat and find out exactly what speed plan I am on.
Mantor0k
Level 2: Rookie

I just noticed I too have this in the Bigpond "My Account" plan details. I believe I'm on the 100/2 plan as I get download speeds between 90 - 115 Mbps regularly.

I'm a bit confused as to why the Status is inactive if I'm on the faster plan. Also, what's the difference between "Super Fast Speed Boost" and "Ultimate Speed Boost" and why is the first one bolded. See snapshot from My Account page below.

BTW, my cable modem is the Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 2.52.08 pm.png

Ernest999
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mantor0k,

If you check your bill you should see that you have Ultimate Cable and have a line charge of $10 for Ultimate Speed Boost, which would be right by the speeds you are measuring.  

I'm suspecting that the Speed Boost in MyAccount has either not been fully implemented or may be used for newer plans.

For Cable we currently offer two levels of speed, Fast which is up to 30/1 Mbps and Ultimate Speed Boost which is up to 100/2 Mbps
NBN has three speed levels, Base Speed up to 25/5 Mpbs, Very Fast Speed up to 50/20 Mbps and Super Fast Speed Boost up to 100/40 Mbps.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mcullet2

Hi Ern

My download speed used to be stable at 100 mbs until about 6 months ago.  I can't recall how old my cable router is ... old.(CG3100D-2).  Nothing on my end has changed other than I now have a top end custom PC.

My download connection to Perth (from Brisbane) is < 8 mbs and to the USA < 3 mbs.  I use www.speedtest.net.

I went to a local Telstra store to discuss the issue and was advised to ask for the modem to be replaced with the Telstra Air compatible cable modem ... I want to use Air and TV.  He claimed the replacement should be free.  He then directed me to call tech support.

Bigpond support is a bit of a hit and miss service: no disrespect intended to foreign call centre folk.  I am surprised whenever the right techo arrives .... sometimes they are phone techs.

The Telstra shop support person told me that my T-Box was too old and needed to be replaced.

(a) How do I get my previously fast stable connection speed?

(b) How do I get my old router replaced to one which supports AIR and TV services?

(c) Is there any reason for the discrepency on advice between Telstra Shop support staff and BigPond phone support (generally based in an overseas call centre?

I've been using Telstra cable from the same address for the last 10 years.  It would be nice if my service was stable and fast.

Kindest regards

Mike

Brisbane

It was like this when I got here!
DrQ

It might be a modem issue.

If you are under contract and the modem is determined to be faulty, it will generally be replaced at no cost. If you are not under contract, then you would need to buy a replacement modem or consider recontracting and ask for a replacement to be provided as a part of the recontract.

However a warranty replacement modem is generally like for like, meaning that if you have one of the older gateways, it would be replaced with the standard gateway, rather then the premium max gateway, and on cable only the max gateway is air compatible. Which means even if it is replaced at no cost, it is likely to be the standard rather then the max.

As far as the discrepancy. In my experience a lot of the time, particularly with licenceed partner stores, the staff will just tell you something to get you out of the store and make it the call centres issue to deal with... Unless it is a sale and will make the agent money most of them don't care... I know I have been lied directly to on multiple occasions by stores because they didn't know or couldn't be bothered.
Helpful Links

MHM2
Level 4: Private Eye

Since the T-Box is only a client it has nothing to do with your experienced download speeds. I always test my speed using the Optus Download MIrror - for some peering reason it is the fastest server on most Bigpond cable connections in Sydney. As for the speed boost, they can do a lot better than ~2.43 up, and no, you will not have access to the fastest speeds available with your connection. Only the fastest speeds they can economically allow you to have. Peer to peer this is the weak link until the NBN can give you 40 up. I am on cable ultimate and I get 100+ down with this incactive (direct to modem in bridge mode on 1G ethernet). You should not get higher than 95 ish using 100M ethernet as there is some overhead, and especially if your IP stack is CPU bound (i.e. you are not using a low latency gamiing network card, say).
ozepool
Level 2: Rookie

I get 15.8 line and 1.97 download, has been slower lately than it was some months ago. Can I do better? What to ask for?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit