atiltman
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ultimate Upgrade - Fibbing Customer Reps??

Hi All,

Firstly let me apologise in advance for the rather long post, and without further ado;

I recently decided to upgrade my Elite Cable plan to Ultimate, after experiencing some issues I called the 133933 number and discussed the upgrade with an accounts rep, I decided to wait and see how the Telstra tech went resolving my signal problems.

This week on Wednesday after the technician left, I called Bigpond on the 1800 220 030 number to get the ball rolling and get myself onto Ultimate Cable. I spoke to a rep and after the initial checks she confirmed that 'cable 3.0' was available in my area, though stated that I would have to recontract. (I have been out of contract, but loyal for well over 5 years).

After explaining that in my previous discussion a week earlier, the rep confirmed I would not need to recontract and instead simply pay the $149 + 9.95 to upgrade from my current Elite Cable, she said her supervisor was walking past and put me on hold, she returned 5 minutes later to reiterate that a contract was required, she suggested that I if I spoke to someone in a different department then perhaps I should call them instead... assuming this was simply a ploy to get me back into a contract, we both politely terminated the call.

I immediately called 133933 and proceeded through the process again and the rep I was put in touch with confirmed that 'cable 3.0' was available at my address, confirmed the costs and that I did not need to recontract (he suggested that the system would advise him should this be the case). After proceeding with the application he confirmed that there definitely was no recontracting required and we completed the order.

Whilst I was satisfied with the final outcome, I was a little disconcerted with my experienced and expressed it much in the same manner elsewhere, I later received a PM from a Telstra rep directing me here and advised to seek out Gareth.

Much to my disappointment, Today out of sheer curiosity, I wondered if perhaps there may be an order confirmation email in my bigpond mail, I have just logged in to find an email with no subject, containing this:

Date:09/11/11 4:47 PM
To:********@bigpond.net.auAdd to address book
Subject:< No Subject >
  View message details

ORDER CANCELLED AS WE DOUBLE CHECKED CABLE 3.0 IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE AREA 

This has left me wondering, am I legitimately unable to get Ultimate Cable, when every single rep I have spoken to (whom has done the check) confirmed it was available? Or did the rep later realise I do in fact have to recontract and is covering his behind? either way, all I want is my Ultimate Cable! Smiley Indifferent

Regards,
-Andrew

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Ultimate Upgrade - Fibbing Customer Reps??

Ok I'm here (after taking a break from bf3).
Send me a PM and I'll give you some certainty in this situation.

Regards
Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There is no separate HFC cabling for D3 vs. D1. If you currently have cable and are within the d3 footprint (which my dbases and systems at work state) then you should be able to get it.

There is an odd error code however attached for your home phone number which might be driving the cancellations in back of house and some hesitation during order provisioning.

Leave it with me and I'll be in touch with next steps.

Regards

CraigN
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Gareth & Welcome Shellite,

atiltman

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for looking into that and to shed some light; We do not and never have had a fixed phone service at our address. We have relied soley on VoIP services for the last 6+ years Smiley Wink

If the rep used my CID whilst placing the order, that would make sense (I only linked my mobile number with my account).

Regards,

-Andrew

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok after digging the rep has run the very first check on your eligibility based on your voip number which has generated an error, and the problems. You however don't have an active PSTN FNN. The consultant needs to provision a new PSTN service, and modify your current cable connection to d3. I'm going to continue to personally chase this example up as its a good reinforcement for following correct process for service qualification (and its been a poor experience for you). Will remain in touch.
atiltman

Ok,

Just to clarify, based on your message are you indicating that Telstra requires me to have a PSTN service in order to obtain Ultimate Cable? Or simply a process as part of the order requirements? (I do not want a fixed phone service or any other bundled/benefit offers with telstra at this time).

I would like to maintain my standalone cable Smiley Happy

Appreciate your efforts,

-Andrew

Maraket
Level 2: Rookie

It may be you need a PSTN line to get a better price, because you see if you just have cable and no PSTN, then you have to pay standalone fee's, which are a bit higher, furthermore as your getting cable ultimate you by default have to pay $10 more for the plan your on compared to the elite speeds, if you get a PSTN then you usually can shave $10 atleast, or if you go into a bundle, as is my understanding you get the same advertised bundle price meaning you say pay 148, you get 500gig of internet at the 100Mbps speed, and you get really good phone rates, but i suppose since you use VoIP it can be cheaper, but yeah just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in as a first timer, and with my plebian knowledge of the telstra workings

Phoebus

So if I get a VoIP service with a Melbourne DID then I can order Ultimate cable here in Brisbane!

Awesome.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Phoebus wrote:

So if I get a VoIP service with a Melbourne DID then I can order Ultimate cable here in Brisbane!

Awesome.

I wish it worked that way.... I would already have Cable in Darwin by now Smiley Wink

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit