Dsquall1
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to get connected to cable for last month

I've been trying to get connected to Telstra cable for the last month and have not gotten any useful resolution for the last month. I have had all the hardware put in and have even purchased a modem for myself, unfortunately after repeated attempts to get connected there has been no progress. I have made several orders and no one is able to tell me what is actually going on.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Unable to get connected to cable for last month

Are you going through Telstra to get an NBN HFC service? Is that available at your location?

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn/how-to-connect

Any reason why you bought a modem? a new internet service through Telstra will get you one free..

How did the hardware get installed, did someone come and do that? What hardware was provided?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dsquall1

Can only get telstra cable, HFC rollouts are locked out due to COVID and secondary hardware short falls.

Bought a modem because I need to WFH and the ETA on the modem was 10 business days. Unfortunately that meant I had to go for the more costly option. But now, even the 4g backup that's meant to bridge the time from signing on to getting connceted has stopped working.

Some NBN guy came to run a cable between an existing external coaxial box on the external side of the building into the house.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Have you received the NBN NTD yet? That is currently the main problem with NBN HFC installations as there are shortages of equipment due to the shutdown of the factories manufacturing the chips for those devices during COVID-19.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dsquall1

No, wasn't able to get one of those, they've given me one of the old Telstra cable adapters and I can only sign up for Telstra cable until the NBN NTD is made available again.

Jupiter

If NBN Co has issued a stop sale order on new non-NBN connections in your area, then Telstra won't be able to connect you without getting an exemption (it's a regulatory process).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

So what make and model is the modem you have and are using? Did you get a Smart Modem 2?

The 4G backup of the Smart Modem 2 has probably stopped because it was in use for a long time. But as you are waiting for an ordered service, Telstra should be able to reinstate that if you tell them about it via the My Telstra app, Get Help, blue chat window messaging service.

If the 4G service you are mentioning, via another device - what is that device?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dsquall1

Thanks for letting me know but everyone I've touched based with at Telstra (multiple points of contact at this point) are of the opinion I am eligible for a new Telstra cable connection.

Dsquall1

Thanks Steve, was a smart modem 2, just got that 4G backup reinstated through chat (or at least a form put in). Hopefully that will cover me until I'm connected.

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

Cable orders tend to be some of the faster connections. Have you been given an order number, or an ETA on when the order completes?

Best to get in touch with our sales team to take a look at the order for you. You can call us on 132200 or if you have the Telstra app on your mobile, you can send us a message on the 'get help' section.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dsquall1

Absolutely no help so far. Have had 2 seperate people tell me they reset the 4g backup but it's still dead. No one knows the eta on the order 1 month in. The last person I was on the phone with literally just hung up after saying 'please wait' probably because it was too hard. Never even attempted to call back. This was after being on hold for 40 minutes.

Now I've got a modem that does nothing, a hole in my wall because the Telstra tech refused to go up into the roof, no ETA, no documentation sent through and no one who knows anything. Telstra is my sole provider. Internet is critical to my day to day functioning. This is beyond a joke at this point.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit