Paul225
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to open some websites

Hi,

I've got a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000. Last week I had to turn the power off to the modem for a moment then restarted the modem. Although internet works, I am unable to view some websites now via any device or any browser however some websites work. If I type in the URL, the browser says Access to www.whatever.com was denied, You don't have the user rights to view this page. HTTP ERROR 403 and the url will go to www.whatever.com/login.htm

If I google the website and click on the google link the website loads Ok. Any ideas? This issue has started on all our devices iphones and windows computers so I suspect it's the Telstra Smart Modem issue. DNS is set to Telstra however haven't changed this. Not sure what to check. Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unable to open some websites

Try using a non Telstra DNS from the drop down list for both IPv6 and IPv4. Save settings and either reboot modem or disconnect and reconnect your device.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

You could try using the Google DNS Servers.

Paul225

Using Google DNS, saved settings, rebooted modem however same problem. What's wrong with the Telstra DNS? Been using that, until recently haven't had issues.

Paul.

Dowser

I suggest that you reboot the modem, test it again, then try a factory reset.

Mkrtich

Hi - that error code may be associated with an authentication issue where the web server rejects your connection attempt - if you have a suffix digit following 403, you can look up Wikipedia see the reason. Have you previously had to log-in to these sites or are they general sites in Australia or overseas. Maybe they have been backlisted by Telstra or relevant authorities in error.  

If you are familiar with the CMD functions 'ping' and 'tracert' commands, it is possible to use either one to ascertain the actual IP address of the problem web server and then try using its IP address to directly connect to it instead of the usual URL. You will then see if the server is using IPv4 or IPv6. If that fails, it may indicate a possible blacklist or Telstra Broadband Protect issue. If it connects, it may imply a DNS issue with Telstra.

In case your Browser Settings - Data Cache, History and Cookies files have some corruption, have you Cleared then out - sometimes that removes connection failures where a PC is presented with a loop back log -in request back to the modem's Admin Screen - similar you your condition but with an external web server, however your issue appears to occur on multiple devices.

Is the modem on firmware version 0.14.12r?  

Paul225

Ok I'll have a play around. Yes I'm getting the 403 error message:

Don't think it's a browser issue as I'm getting similar issues on other devices (iPad or Linux computer) doesn't do it for all websites though and I can still access those website via Google search. So I get the above if I clicked in the browser saved link or type in address URL directly but can access via google. 

Yes the Telstra smart modem is running 0.14.12r firmware, switched to Google DNS, rebooted modem but haven't done factory reset. Also get the following come up in the browser when I first boot the windows computer:

Mkrtich

Thanks. Strange condition. I have had the Microsoft pop up a few times when I was experimenting with connecting two modems last year. I dismissed the page and then did some more experimenting. Reading about that URL, it appears that Windows 10 checks if you have an Internet connection on boot up, maybe afterwards as well, and if it can't see one, it attempts to redirect you to a public network Hot Spot that requires a log-in, however in this case it stops and rejects you - maybe senses that internet is now up. I think Telstra Air has been removed from residential modems earlier this year.

Are the devices connected to the Arcadyan or do you have a Wireless Access Point, Booster, Extender they go through which may cause a delay for connection if devices are mobile within the home changing from 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz. I think @Dowser  suggestion of doing a Factory Reset would be the next logical step. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit