Sharen
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to watch Netflix due to poor connection speed

Answered

I have recently upgraded my TV to the latest Samsung and ordered Netflix for the first time. I am unable to watch a movie on Netflix and the troubleshooting leads me to download speeds of 3.79Mbps. I ran a check using the Telstra tool and got a speed of 18Mbps.

Not sure what to check next. Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to watch Netflix due to poor connection speed

Netflix have a minimum speed of 3.5Mbps not 35Mbps... Even for UltraHD they only suggest a minimum of 25Mbps...

The Netflix 'Fast.com' is based in the US, where most of Netflix servers are located, which means that the speed will almost always be lower because the request has to go via all the undersea cable to the US to then have the response returned. Where as on the otherhand speedtest.net bases it on your local server to give you the most accurate information based on you connection to the local server.

Even at 3.79Mbps however you should be able to watch SD videos without any real issues.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Nima555

everybody have this problem

netflix need mimum speed 35 mbs 

you can watch netflix via telstra

DrQ
Accepted Solution

Netflix have a minimum speed of 3.5Mbps not 35Mbps... Even for UltraHD they only suggest a minimum of 25Mbps...

The Netflix 'Fast.com' is based in the US, where most of Netflix servers are located, which means that the speed will almost always be lower because the request has to go via all the undersea cable to the US to then have the response returned. Where as on the otherhand speedtest.net bases it on your local server to give you the most accurate information based on you connection to the local server.

Even at 3.79Mbps however you should be able to watch SD videos without any real issues.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

DrQ

Also not everyone will have this problem, and you can actually watch Netflix on a Telstra connection... I watched Telstra on our ADSL connection and I have been watching it on our NBN connection....

If it was actually a 35Mbps minimum no one other than people with super fast fibre or Tier 4/5 NBN connections would be able to stream netflix on any provider because most connections here are ADSL or ADSL2+ which max out at 20Mbps....
Helpful Links

Sharen

THanks DrQwerty90. That's what I guessed unfortunately I now have to work out how to get SD films as they all seem to be in  HD or UHD. Poor form from an Internet connection.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I watch Movies and TV programs on Netflix all the time quite successfully on my ADSL2+ connection that has a maximum connection speed of 2.8Mbps. Can even watch with one of the kids streaming stuff on Youtube, problems happed when both of them try it though.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DanfromQLD
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

@DrQwerty90 wrote:

Not true. Fast.com is Akami based so is local. 

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/cdn/what-is-a-cdn.jsp

I can hit 12Mbps as of now. During the evenings (and weekends) and it's been like it for the last 6 months I may get 3-4-5Mbit because of Telstras congestion and reluctance to do anything about it.

DrQ

I did word it wrong it is based on the connection speed to the Netflix servers though. Based on the information on Fast.com information it is based on bouncing to the nearest Netflix Global Distrabution Server, there is still content that is not on localised servers and does need to be relayed from the US or other overseas data storage locations.

That being said, mine is coming up at 85Mbps which isn't too bad.
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit