Level 3: Gumshoe

Unacceptable NBN drop outs! Telstra should compensate customers for the disruptions to our work!

Since day one I was switched over to NBN,  I've had nothing but issues with my internet dropping out constantly. You call the Support Desk, they do all sorts of tests etc but no FIX!  What is really the problem ?- The NBN box, the Telstra Modem, the infrastructure? Let's go back to copper ! I never had so much issues with my ADSL (not even ADSL2) until NBN! 

This week, the NBN modem short circuited and sent burning electrical smell all over our kitchen area. I called the Support Desk and asked me if the damn thing had lights on!?? It burnt! How could it have lights on? Fast forward overnight, I got a replacement NBN box. Now, even my 7 year old could say it drops out A LOT MORE than the old box! It actually does drop out more ----even at 11:27pm at night.  I work from home and Telstra, you are embarrassing me when I disappear mid meetings! Please fix or I'm out along with everyone I could encourage to voice out their own problems with your service. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unacceptable NBN drop outs! Telstra should compensate customers for the disruptions to our work!

It's very unusual for a modem to short circuit like that. Did it trip the circuit breaker/safety switch? I'd be worried if it didn't, that would indicate an electrical problem with your house.

Can you post the broadband connection stats from your modem so that we can try and work out where the problem may lie?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Unacceptable NBN drop outs! Telstra should compensate customers for the disruptions to our work!

I understand your frustration, but if it is an NBN service issue, changing RSP's (provider) may not fix the problem..  Telstra has it's faults but look at what the problem really is, before jumping ship without good reason?

What type of NBN service do you have and what NBN modem is installed (the one you replaced)?

Can I ask which Telstra modem/router you have? Is it a Smart Modem with 4G backup? If so, you can disconnect the NBN DSL service by taking the DSL or WAN cable out of the modem, then after a few minutes the modem will switch to 4G mode (blue light on the front). There will be a reduction in speed, but the connection should then allow a video conference to run provided there isn't much other internet activity. It's not perfect but might be more stable when you really need it.  It is also useful to use 4G while you troubleshoot the cause of the dropouts to help solve the real problem you are having.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit