CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Unexplained High Broadband Data Usage

After searching this site I found a number of entries suggesting similar problems to the one I now have - that is unexplained high useage. I have had a Bigpond Elite 50G plan for over two years and the most I have used in any one month in that tieme is 7 or 8 Gbs.

As from 4 June 2013, I have supposedly been using up to 10 to 12 Gbs per day. My plan provides for resetting on the 14th on the month and in the past four days I have apparently used 25Gb (I was away from home for 3 days and my computer was shut down).

I have contacted Bigpond Accounts and Support but I am not getting anywhere - and I noticed in the entries I mentioned above that there was no final outcome to any of those problems.

With all the money being spent by Telstra on so called customer service initiatives such as the 24/7 app and this site, why is it that I can't get any of that service ?

As an aside, on my last contact with Bigpond Support, the recorded message I received when my call was first answered stated " I see that you have called before about this problem....." then when I spoke to a consultant they had no record of any previous contact - go figure !!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Unexplained High Broadband Data Usage

Do you have a WIFI device? are you using a default wireless password from your device?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you darb. I use a Netgear Modem/Router and have changed the password when this problem first started. I don't use the default password.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

There are a few different wireless protocols that are used. Some are easier to crack than others, apparently. All depends if someone is clever, resourceful and determined enough. Changing the password / passkey means little if that's the case.

Think of getting rid of the wifi if possible. Ethernet-over-Power (EoP) adapters are popular ....

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

lol....had the same happen to me, as my plan at the time was a 12gb and my history showed that the max I had ever used was 7gb for the month, my reset date was on the 19th and I received an email from Telstra saying something about useage.didnt take it in until it clicked in my head its now the 21st, so I went to my account/usage and I only had a couple of gig left (nearly 9gb went in one day)

Had been on it that night for 2 hrs browsing as I don't d/l movies, rang them to ask what the go was, but they said it was from my end (pc is turned off all the time & my modem wasn't a wifi?) but they were kind enough to give me an extra 1gb to get me through..............hmmm so I was ripped off 8gb end of story!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit