CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Unexplained spike in metered usage

I have had a sudden and unexplained spike in the metered data usage of our home broadband. We have a 1000gb per month limit, and according to the usage report on the 25th October we downloaded 444337mb and uploaded 17573mb. What appears to be regular levels of downloads and uploads have occurred in the week since. With 20 days left of our billing cycle we have only half our data left.

We were both at work so had limited hours of usage that day. We have also checked all of our devices that use the home broadband and we did not download anything significant or update any programs such as my Adobe creative suite. We have never hit over 200gb data usage over an entire month in the last 4 years.

I'm very concerned about this unexplained spike that in one day has surpassed the total data usage we have ever used in an entire month.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unexplained spike in metered usage

Hi pogoBear,

I can definitely appreciate your concerns with this. Can I please just confirm which type of connection  you have with us e.g cable, NBN? And what state you are in?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Jessica,

It's Cable, in NSW.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that pogoBear,

We’re aware that last week, incorrect data usage volumes have affected some broadband cable customers in NSW. This has however since been resolved and your service speeds should not be affected by this. Apologies for any concern caused.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

FYI it has also affected Western Australia. I had a 167GB in one day and have a reference number to get a free top-up should I need it before the end of this monthly billing cycle.

Highlighted

Same problem here. Usage meter is claiming I've used 880GB in 5 days. (Cable, NSW) Is there anything I need to do to get this reset/fixed?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit