Tommy211
Level 1: Cadet

Unstable nbn

Answered

About a month ago I had a stable 40Mbps download and was a happy customer. Then, nbn began installing fibre to the kerb in our street and I started having very frequent connection interruptions. (we also had rain, which has historically caused problems with our internet).

After spending quite a bit of time on the message app, the techie suggested a need to stabilise the connection. This has meant capping it at about 11 Mbps. Then 2 days ago it went to 2 Mbps. Seriously, I was better off with ADSL.

Back up to 11 Mbps today, but still far from happy. I’ve been a loyal customer since mice on treadmills ran the system, but my loyalty is seriously wavering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Unstable nbn

Once you connect to FTTC, then yes, the problem should go away. What has probably happened is that the construction crews have partially dislodged a termination and it needs to be redone to give a stable connection. It's a simple process (once they find the right one), it's just a matter of getting a crew out there to fix it. It could be up to 6 months before the FTTC connections are declared serviceable for you to be able to swap, so it is worth requesting the repair in the meantime.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter

They will need to get an NBN technician out to check on the connection from the node all the way to your house.

Unfortunately, if they are installing FTTC at the moment, that might be a bit difficult as they normally don't like having maintenance crews out when they have a construction crew working in the same area.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Brinrac
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Tommy211 If you have been a FTTN (Fibre to the node) customer this is common problem, and would need to be changed to FTTC (Fibre to the curb).

However if you are already a FTTC customer or FTTP / FTTH customer, its more than likely then just not enough Bandwidth to your area from NBN, and Telstra would have to apply to NBN to get more. Not enough bandwidth is common for slow speeds and random disconnections unless of course you have an equipment or physical line issue from your house to the node as @Jupiter advised.

Tommy211

Thanks for your comment. The crews have finished digging etc and moved on to a nearby street. I guess one of the things that frustrates me is the total lack of communication from both Telstra and NBN. Since Telstra lost ownership of the wires both companies seemed to have erected a communication firewall. All I can hope is things might settle down when the new connection is made.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Once you connect to FTTC, then yes, the problem should go away. What has probably happened is that the construction crews have partially dislodged a termination and it needs to be redone to give a stable connection. It's a simple process (once they find the right one), it's just a matter of getting a crew out there to fix it. It could be up to 6 months before the FTTC connections are declared serviceable for you to be able to swap, so it is worth requesting the repair in the meantime.

View solution in original post

jasonrhl

I thought I must have been going crazy. For 4 years I have had this problem where when it rains I have no NBN. 

We had all good then a NBN tech cut the copper to the whole street then pissed off. Took a month to get it fixed and the cables are just left out. I thought it was this but it must be something else. Water getting in node? 

Jupiter

If the cables are not terminated correctly as are exposed to water, then yes, that will cause your service to fail. Normally because the electrical currents are connecting to other wires through the water and causing the Node to shut down those services until the water dries and the signal on the cables returns to normal.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit