vorttex
Level 1: Cadet

Unusable Bigpond broadband speed

Ever since I transferred to Bigpond several months ago the internet speed is consistently slow. I mean real slow. Last  speedtest.net result was download 0.63 mbs, upload 0.26 mbs, latency 46ms.

I just now started a download 100mb test file from iinet and it shows it be take over 30 minutes. This is the norm. Previously i have had a Telstra tech visit my home and he found no fault with my line and he tested the speed from my house socket and it was capable of 8mbs.

Numerous calls to bigpond with the usual isolation test shows no fault. Last contact with bigpond consultants gave assurance that it will be looked into together with follow up however no follow up has occurred. Congestion has been given as the reason and nothing will be done to supply me with a reasonable speed it seems.

I have made complaint that I am paying for ADSL speeds however I believe I should be supplied with something better than what im getting.

Im not expecting blistering speed however I would like to at least load the front page of the SMH within 90 secs it takes now. Even just to load the bigpond home page is like watching the grass grow. im paying for someting im not getting and it seems Telstra/Bigpond are not willing to help.

I dont know where to go from here.

Modem stats below.

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 3:36:39
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:384 / 8,032
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:92.70 / 962.11
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:10.1 / 13.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:2.0 / 7.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:22.0 / 16.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / GSPN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):- / 0

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unusable Bigpond broadband speed

Hi,

Those stats certainly read that you're able to peak out your ADSL connection.. It's actually a pity you're on the oldest exchange poor old chipset, if you was connected to a ADSL2 port as I think you'd be happily surprised.

Getting back to the current issue.
What's the modem name and model?
What computer/device are you using to connect to the net?
Are you able to try another device?
Any crazy gaming setting in the router/modem?

Edit.. I'll add.. Have you looked at your line profile? Could be set to high? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Change-your-ADSL-Line-profile/ta-p/110182

Cheers,
Dave

vorttex
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

My Modem is Bigpond supplied Technicolor TG587n v3.

I have tried desktop Win7, laptops Win7 and Win8, Surface Pro2 win 8.1. All exhibit same results either via Lan or WiFi.

I have tried three different modems/routers.

No gaming. My highest useage month showed 44gb.

Config below

Current configurationNoise protectionInterleaving

Standard
Off
On

Cheers

John.

Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Thanks for your reply John,

Seems the telstra ip's can't share the same space with bigpond, dumb, real dumb! Tried logging into a know account only to be denied as well, seems they force you to jump through hoops via there over bloated support service. Still happy you worked your way through it.

The modems you tried all technicolor?

As it seem you're a win man pop over to here http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Windows-8-1-RTM-Technicolor-TG587n-v3-DNS-Issu... to see if it relates?

You may need to chat to support, thinking something has had a brain fart.
http://livechat.telstra.com
13 3933

Cheers,
Dave

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I will flag this post with our tech experts and see if they have some advice to offer also, they have gone home for the day you wont get a response till tomorrow.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Vorttex,

As you have already tried multiple modems and several different devices connected via both LAN and WiFi then this doesn't leave much left to test internally.

I will send you a private message shortly with a link where you can provide your account and contact details. 

In the mean time, here are some things to keep in mind when experiencing difficulties with speed: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit