Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Upgrading nbn 25 to nbn 50

Answered

I have a Telstra nbn tier 25 home internet bundle (NBN FTTP, F@st 5355 modem, 5G wireless network within my home). I am very happy with it and it gives me download speeds of around 23Mps, but I am considering upgrading to the tier 50 plan now that I am working from home full-time.

If I change my internet plan, will I simply continue to use my existing settings (modem, home phone number, passwords etc) with increased speed or does it involve a new installation in any way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Upgrading nbn 25 to nbn 50

You want have to change any settings or require a new installation of any new equipment. You will still have same phone number and password. Before ordering the speed boost you should check that the FTTN link is capable of providing the increased speed. You can check this by logging into the gateway (http://10.0.0.138, password is admin and going to Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page). For example in the image below. the link is capable of 40 Mbps down.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You want have to change any settings or require a new installation of any new equipment. You will still have same phone number and password. Before ordering the speed boost you should check that the FTTN link is capable of providing the increased speed. You can check this by logging into the gateway (http://10.0.0.138, password is admin and going to Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page). For example in the image below. the link is capable of 40 Mbps down.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the hints. I have not succeeded in logging in to the gateway however. I go to http://10.0.0.138, which forwards me to http://10.0.0.138/0.1/gui/#/login/. The username is pre-filled as "admin". I type "admin" in for the password, click login and get "wrong login information". I have opened up the modem to confirm that the IP address is correct and that admin/admin is indeed the username and password, so I don't know what else to do.

BTW my technology is FTTB, not FTTP as I said in my question. I am in an apartment block with fibre to the basement and old-style copper from basement to 3rd floor.

Highlighted

As far as the modem is concerned an FTTB connection is the same as an FTTN connection. The distance to the node is likely to be shorter so the link is more likely to support a speed boost.

The F@st5355 has a habit of locking people out or some one might have changed the admin password. You can reset password by doing a factory reset of the gateway this usually fixes the lock out problem as well. The gateway can be reset by pressing reset button located on front of modem below power switch for at least 10 seconds.

Highlighted

OK, thanks. I reset the modem and was then able to login to the gateway. It appears that the gateway is capable of 136Mps download. The entries are as follows:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 30208 / 6399
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 136746 / 59046

Highlighted

Yes your link is capable of the speed boost. You will find that the is also capable of at least 20 Mbps upload. The gateway does not report the correct maximum upload speed.

Highlighted

Just postscript to record a positive outcome. My upgrade from tier 25 to tier 50 worked seemlessly and invisibly. A couple of days after placing my online order to switch plans, my download speed was 48Mps instead of 24Mps. If I hadn't measured the speed I wouldn't even know it had happened.

Highlighted

Glad to here your transition to the higher speed boost went so smoothly.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit