Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Upload Speed 0.11 Mbps

Answered

Screenshot says it all. I used to get 1 - 2Mbps. Which is slow. But this is a crawl.... I can't get direct support from Telstra because there's no one manning the phones. The web chat app is directing me to phone. The phone is directing me to iOS web chat. The mobile chat app doesn't work on my phone. Frustrating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Upload Speed 0.11 Mbps

My attempts to get in touch with Telstra to resolve my severely impacted service (aka outage)....

1. Tech support Phone - recorded message "due to covid we're not answering the phones. use our mobile app"

2. Download Mobile App - There's no live agent here.  I get an Auto bot asking inane questions. After walking through a series of Q&A, I get redirected to Website FAQs. 

3. Website FAQs - "follow these instructions" (done) "still need support?" yes "call 132200"

4. Back to 1.

After many loops of this behaviour over multiple days I submit a complaint using the online complaint form. A day later, I get a phone call from a live person (what a happy suprise). Unfortunately, she tells me if your downloads are good, your service is ok. That's all we measure. No solution offered. I think she might have even hung up on me.

At this point I give up on Telstra.  I telephone Internode who actually answer their phones. Guess what? Their support staff are working from home using VOIP phones. 20+ year old tech that aparently Telstra don't know how to use.  "Yes", they say.  "Download is not the only measure of a good internet connection. Yes, 0.12Mbps upstream is not acceptable. Let us ship you out a modem so you can start enjoying 5.00Mbps - 20.00 Mbps upload".  I know this is sales I'm talking to. But, they answered their phone, recognise the problem, and have given me a plan on how to move forward.

So after all these years, I'm switching providers.  I've been a Telstra Bigpond customer since 2004.  Mainly because despite all the criticism of high prices, less data, slower speeds, I know they will always answer the phone and solve a problem...

I think the CEO of Telstra should be reading this thread.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

I find this very fascinating, I just posted the exact same problem I have been experience this on telstra cable. It goes from 5mbit to 0.01 mbit everyday at midday. I had a tech support come out, It was alot of effort and I had to talk to telstra on live chat. The tech came out they did not really help they just "lodged a fault" nothings been fixed about 5 days later. 

This is my post on the same thing I believe its a shaping issues that's automatic and causing problems for cable uses who already have terrible upload speeds.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-broadband/telstra-delibratly-degrading-your-net-experein...

Highlighted

Yes, I have cable. I should have clarified that. Also had a special add-on pack for increased upload added to my account when it was originally setup.  Supposedly cable can give you better upload than phone line. I'm not asking for live media broadcast speeds. Just enough to upload the odd dropbox file, or file to my web server.

Highlighted

I just had the mobile phone 'chat' finally after an hour come back with a response from a guy who said 0.12Mbps upload is "standard".  

Highlighted

That's terrible,

Not only is it not standard but in my case it drops to 0.01 frequently. 0.01 is worse than dial up at 1kb per sec. It's so bad I can't even post messages on this board using my cable connection. They are deliberating degrading cable users upload speeds.

Highlighted

Now.... if Telstra actually answered their telephones right now, I could have a reasonable conversation about what they prefer me to do. Move to NBN? Pay them more? I mean, i'm a reasonable person you can discuss things with.  Let's solve this problem and move forwad.  But where is everyone?  Not on chat. Not on phone. Unseen on crowd support aparently.  Is this telstra profiting from COVID by sacking all their support staff and asking their customers to be sympathetic and patient during a pandemic that is probably increasing their revenue. Ie, more people working from home and needing to upgrade their connections.

Highlighted

If you do move to NBN be careful who you choose. I waited 3 months with telstra trying to get connected to the NBN, there legendary no service is still the same and they offer worse speeds than most ISP. In the end I had to cancel the NBN and go elsewhere. My new ISP were Australian friendly and arranged an NBN tech straight away.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - the HFC coax cable network now owned by the NBN is used by three parties - the NBN, Telstra HFC and Foxtel who is gradually weaning themselves off the NBN with Satellite Dish installations for all their customers. Whole suburbs that may have traditionally had a 10-20% uptake of Telstra HFC cable customers now have 100%, so there is more transmission load on the cable.

Per chance, do you have the black Netgear CG3000D2 or Netgear CD6300CD HFC modems - on these, in the System Administration Menu,  you can view the HFC statistics that show you the Symbol Rate, Frequency, Power (dBmv) in Upstream Bonded Channels section that may reveal an issue.  Possibly references in the Log File as well - unsure. Similar information plus SNR is presented in the Downstream Bonded Channels section including SNR (dB).

I am not familiar with the newer white Netgear CM450 HFC modem that Telstra cable customers were given in recent times in regards to seeing any data within it. Unfortunately once you migrate to NBN, it is not possible to view this information in the black NBN HFC Arris modem. 

Highlighted

Interesting info @Mkrtich 

I have not migrated to NBN.  I use the standard issue T-Gateway Max. When I originally setup the service, it was provisioned with additional upload speed package. 

I have not been advised of any changes to my service.  It is dissappointing that they are unilaterally making changes to the service. But more dissappointing is that Telstra are not answering their phones for me to be able to renegotiate or fix the situation.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

My attempts to get in touch with Telstra to resolve my severely impacted service (aka outage)....

1. Tech support Phone - recorded message "due to covid we're not answering the phones. use our mobile app"

2. Download Mobile App - There's no live agent here.  I get an Auto bot asking inane questions. After walking through a series of Q&A, I get redirected to Website FAQs. 

3. Website FAQs - "follow these instructions" (done) "still need support?" yes "call 132200"

4. Back to 1.

After many loops of this behaviour over multiple days I submit a complaint using the online complaint form. A day later, I get a phone call from a live person (what a happy suprise). Unfortunately, she tells me if your downloads are good, your service is ok. That's all we measure. No solution offered. I think she might have even hung up on me.

At this point I give up on Telstra.  I telephone Internode who actually answer their phones. Guess what? Their support staff are working from home using VOIP phones. 20+ year old tech that aparently Telstra don't know how to use.  "Yes", they say.  "Download is not the only measure of a good internet connection. Yes, 0.12Mbps upstream is not acceptable. Let us ship you out a modem so you can start enjoying 5.00Mbps - 20.00 Mbps upload".  I know this is sales I'm talking to. But, they answered their phone, recognise the problem, and have given me a plan on how to move forward.

So after all these years, I'm switching providers.  I've been a Telstra Bigpond customer since 2004.  Mainly because despite all the criticism of high prices, less data, slower speeds, I know they will always answer the phone and solve a problem...

I think the CEO of Telstra should be reading this thread.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Understood and I hope your service delivery improves with Internode. Thank you for your feedback. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

This is exactly my problem... absolutely useless. I am ready to cancel all my services withTeltra and try again with new provider. Have tried to change over to NBN 3 TIMES AND NO LUCK, YET OPTUS PICKED UP THERE PHONE STRAIGHT AWAY.

I already have the Gen 2 modem. Good bye Telstra

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra's been pretty terrible with the NBN rollout in my area.  They keep giving false and conflicting info since March.  For example, the website says I need a "conversion kit" for my modem.  When I asked when I'd get one a Telstra employee told me that I don't need one.  Today, a different Telstra employee said that I will need one and they'll send it as soon as they decide to connect me (shouldn't it be sent *before* I'm connected and not *after* the connection is done so I don't have to wait extra??).  The only consistent thing they've told us is that the NBN will be installed in "June" sometime.  Now NBN has finally finished connecting us and Telstra says it'll take at least 2 weeks for them to actually connect us to it.  Luckily I'm out of contract since last month.  Going to switch to TPG.  They said it'll take 10 days max to connect me, and they actually have people to talk to in online chat and on the phone.  And it doesn't take hours to get through on the phone.  It took less than 5 minutes to talk to a real person.  So much for the myth that Telstra charges extra because you get better customer service.  TPG has given me better customer service in two days (and before I was actually a customer) than Telstra has in 2 years. 

D'oh!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit