Level 2: Rookie

Upload Speed Dead

2 days of this and Telstra telling me they wanna charge me $75ph for platinum service to trouble shooting and fix as they say they ran tests and there’s no problems on their end. 

Anyone had this before and what was the resolution?

Thinking about just canning Telstra and going TPG. Last 18 months the service has been terrible in general. Prior 10 years I raved about Telstra.... what happened?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Upload Speed Dead

Do you get the same low speed on all your devices? Is the device connected by WiFi or LAN cable.

All devices both wifi and LAN!

What type of connection do you have? If youre connection uses an NBN NTD or Telstra Cable adapter have tried doing a speed test with a device connected directly to ethernet port on the NBN NTD or Telstra Cable adapter?

It’s Cable service with speed boost. With the LAN connected to the modem it’s direct to the laptop and same results. Tried LAN to ps4 and same results. It’s cooked.  

Could you log into the Telstra gateway and post the line stats? The line stats are located here.

On a Cable Home Network Gateway
(CG3100D):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Connection (Under Maintenance)

On a Cable Gateway Max
(C6300BD):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

If using a Cable Adapter + Gateway
(CM450. Might need to plug directly into the adapter with Ethernet):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password

You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

Downstream between -15 to +15dBmV is good.
Closer to 0.0dBmV the better.

Upstream between +40dBmV to 54dBmV is good.
Closer to 40dBmV the better.

SNR +38dB and above is good.
40+dB the better.

Frequency 438000000 has been known to give the best signals and speed on the network.

this all you need?

Everything looks Okay apart from the upstream voltage being low I have never seen one below 40dBmV. I am don't know whether that could be the cause. Usually when there is a problem the upstream voltage is above 54 dBmV. I suggest you use the platinum service. If the fault is in Telstra's equipment you will not be charged.

There is one other thing you could do if you haven't already done so is a speed test with everything disconnected except device being used for test.

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I agree with cf4, all looks OK from your photo. Prior to this event, with your Telstra HFC Cable Speed Boost activated, were you enjoying 100 Mbps Down and 5 Mbps Up?

I migrated from Cable Broadband with Speed Boost 100/5 Mbps  service to the Telstra 50/20 NBN service in 2019 and had the same printout as you, so I assume you have a Netgear CG 3100-D2. My 5 Mbps Upstream Statistics were Channel 10, 5120 Ksym/sec, 4900000Hz and 37.5 dBmv.

If you have had the cable service a long time e.g. 8-10 years, suggest you ask Telstra to send technician to site to inspect and replace all coax connections in home and the pit (the copper wire at the end of the connector tarnishes black over time) and replace the modem. I had that done once and it fixed the problem. If you have a 100/5 service, you should be getting higher Download than 69 Mbps on a LAN connected PC. 

May be time to consider an upgrade to NBN. Is your area eligible for NBN HFC installation or is it a NBN FTTC implementation area? 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit