PHRAETUS
Level 2: Rookie

Using the Telstra NBN modem offline

Answered

Have been on the NBN for approximately a month.

Yesterday we had our first major outage with something occuring locally that has taken out everyone in the neighbourhoods phone & internet (suspect a cable has been cut).

I was aware of this shortly after it happeneed in the morning. When I got home I noticed all the lights on the top of the modem were out.
I jumped on my PC & logged into the modem to check the status of things before calling support. No internet, as expected, but modem was operating fine & the internal nertork was functional.

As part of the support call I powered down & rebooted the modem. After that the only light on the modem that came back on was the power light, the internal network is down & I haven't been able to log back in (connection times out).
I became aware of this while still with the Tech Support guy & asked him about it. When he eventually understood what I was asking he told me that without the net being funtional the modem would not be accessible.

That sounded a little ridiculous to me & certainly has not been the case with all the ADSL modems I've had over the years.
If that is the case it's going to render this modem even less ideal than it already is.

It's the two ethernet port, White, Monolithic slab modem, can't remember the model number. Probably the gateway max?

Can any one verify that this is the truth or offer a solid reason why this action would render this modem less than fully operational?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Using the Telstra NBN modem offline

The router functions of the modem should still work without the internet connection being available.

So yes, he was wrong. You should be able to access the homepage of the modem, and your home network should function as per normal, just with no internet access.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The router functions of the modem should still work without the internet connection being available.

So yes, he was wrong. You should be able to access the homepage of the modem, and your home network should function as per normal, just with no internet access.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

PHRAETUS

Thank you, that was my expectation, but appears not to be the reality for some reason.
My fear is that the Modem has gone pear shaped for some reason, but how to be sure with no net access?

I miss my Fritzbox...

cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

@PHRAETUS

a couple of things.. (presuming your running DHCP and not static addresses)

when you had access to your local network before powering it down it would have been running on residual dns caching (ie last known co-ordinates) and that would be why it worked before resetting the modem.

you may have been able to access the modem, after resetting (without internet) if your main computer was using Ethernet Port 1 for access.

after resetting the modem if you are using DHCP all the previous IP Addresses would have been cleared and all devices attempt to get re-assigned new addresses (this means that the devices are not where they last were), possibly the caching logs would have been wiped as well.

Most people forget that the Live DNS Resolver and Caching is actually outside their local network (ie on Telstra's Network) so when no network connection to Telstra there is no way for the local computers to resolve IP addresses locally (ie to each other behind the modem) or globally (ie to youtube or what ever).

using static IP addresses might have avoided this depending on if you Reboot your modem or Reset it. Rebooting should leave all your current modem/router rules intact, Resetting clears all your rules.

If you are so inclined it may be worth looking into setting up your own DNS server and caching system on Ethernet Port 1.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
BundyBob1
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi PHRAETUS

Jutiper is correct, if you have not made any changes to the modem, ie custom ip address for modem, a restart should allow you to connect to the modem.

If you are like me and make the whole thing custom and go to restart the modem without your glasses on and hit reset to default instead, you will not be able to connect to the modem until you refresh your ip settings or restart your computer.

from the command prompt (for windows Windows key + R then cmd <enter>) type in ipconfig /flushdns enter then ipconfig /renew.

This should then show you your ip and the ip of the gateway, your router.

Then you can login and reset the system to your likings.

Even when you use outside dns and not your modem as dns you should be able to access all machines by name inside your network.

Any outside addresses will fail.

\\<computer name> for inside addresses will appear ok even if the modem is "offline to the internet"

Hope you have resolved your issues.

Ack

----------------------------------------------------------

NOT a Telstra Employee

--------------------------------------------------------------
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

@BundyBob1

Ive never been able to do this even on ADSL systems without the DNS being available (either self resolving internal computers like linux does or did or using Telstra's DNS ) or setting up hosts files (time consuming if its alot of computers).

wifi based computers being the worst culprits, seems a little more give on the ethernet side.

"access all machines by name inside your network." 

"and not your modem as dns"

Telstra modems dont do DNS at all, only DHCP which is not the same.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
PHRAETUS

PC is definitely connected via ethernet port 1. 

PC has been rebooted.

I cant remember if i set the internal address for the pc though, previous modems i had, suspect probably not in this case. The intent was to only use the modem directly for a little while before whacking it into bridge mode and connecting it to the fritzbox.

I was still using the default address range though.

Flushing and renewing thevdns didnt help.

Net is still out in the area.

If you plugged the modem in with zero devices connected and turned it on how many of the 6 lights should shine?

Assuming a minimum of two? The power and the wifi.

Currently just getting power.

cf4

If you have the F@ST5355 Gateway at least the Wi-Fi and Power lights should be on. IF you have a DECT phone paired to gateway the Pair light will also be on. As Jupiter has stated should still be able to use LAN with modem offline. It should also show up in File explorer as a network device if you have Network discovery turned on.

Have you tried resetting gateway by pressing reset button with paperclip until gateway turns off. It should then reboot restoring all settings back to factory defaults. The reset button is located on front of gateway below power button.

PHRAETUS

Its the F@ST5355.

There is a phone paired with it too.

Hadn't tried resetting it, just tried then. Didnt visibly do much of anything while the reset switch was pushed in. It shouldn't take more than 10 seconds or so to power off and reset surely?

cf4

Should only take about 5 seconds after reset button is pushed for power light to and to come back on a few seconds later as gateway reboots.

PHRAETUS

Damn...power light just stays steady and green. Held it down for a minute and nothing.

Not feeling overly confident that when the the net is repaired I'm going to actually be able to access it,  which could make knowing it is repaired interesting!

cf4

Yes it will be impossible to know when network is working. I would try ring support again. Perhaps you might get someone who is not just a script jockey and knows something about gateways. Even a person with limited technical skills should realise that even if link is down local network should still work you should still be able to log into the gateway's GUI

PHRAETUS

....or i might not.

That was one of the most unbelievable support calls i have ever had, andvhaving been a customer for 20 odd years there's been some doozies!

There are techs up fixing the fault tonight. The houses to either side of me have phone and internet back. NBN customers on adjacent roads that were effected have their connection back. I do not.

So i rang support. They were supposed to call me tonight after 5pm as arranged in a telstra store this afternoon,  but didn't .

The individual i spoke with was adamant that there was still a fault recorded, and could not get past that to talk about the modem. Logging into the modem seems to be a completely alien concept and until the fault is rectified they can not help me. 

So i asked how will i know when the fault is recified if my modem is non functional? Silence.

Could they let me know somehow, a text maybe? No, that wasn't possible...until suddenly it was!

The jaw dropping moment was when i listed off all the misinformation and poor service i had recieved in the past two days around this issue and stated how i really wasnt particularly happy about it all, i was told i had a choice.

I have a what now? I pushed on that statement to make sure i had heard correctly, i had them repeat that i had a choice to stay with my provider. When i questioned whether they were saying that i could be breaking my current contract for free with no penaty they began to back away from the statement.

As it stands, i am expecting a sms when the fault is fixed and a copy of all the notes from the call, i will be quite surprised at this point if i recieve either. 

If someone from telstra stumbles across this post, i would really be quite keen to follow up on this indivuals statement.

After a consistent poor level of phone support and service across all my accounts over the past two years, maybe it is time to try the competition. 

PHRAETUS

Just as a follow up, the modem had died & a new one is being sent. Thanks to everyone who contributed here.

What I went through & the time I spent to get to this point was completely unacceptable.
Whilst the issue has been resolved & am not even remotely a happy & satisfied customer.

Telstra you should be ashamed of what you pass off as tech support & customer service.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit