Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Velocity extremely slow

Hi all, is anyone in Brisbane having issues with velocity speed? We’re on unlimited 100Mbps plan and currently can’t get over 240Kbps. Uploads are exceeding 5Mbps. I’ve checked all other devices and restarted modem etc. seems to be a network issue.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Also annoyed

I live in West End and we are currently getting .07 Mbps upload and .86 Mbps download. Something is wrong

Highlighted

Re: Velocity extremely slow

Same issues here with velocity in West End. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Same issue in Woolloongabba. Upload normal, download under 1.

Highlighted

Same problem in Dutton Park. Sounds like they have stuffed the South Brisbane fibre folks. 

Highlighted

Re: Also annoyed

Same here in central West End. Absolutely terrible connection. I couldn't even load DSL reports speed test to see.

Highlighted

Re: Also annoyed

Did anyone else in this area get an email recently to be told their plan was changing? I noticed the loss of viable connection seems to also match the time my plan seems to have been rolled over. So frustrating when trying to work. 

Highlighted

Same issue here in west end. Currently in a support session online to see if we can get this escalated. My plan is also due to change (free of charge upgrade to unlimited and reduce monthly fee).

Highlighted

Yes same here at Highgate Hill. I WFH, yes on a Sunday, and I've had to use mobile data so not ideal. I have been trying to use the troubleshooting app to figure out the problem but it freezes completely at the speed test.

There is zero support on a weekend - I thought it must be the $3 overdue from my bill but I see it's bigger than that. 

Highlighted

Thanks all - I’m also in a Highgate Hill - seems like people in Kurilpa are impacted.... so frustrating! We’ve just unplugged the Velocity cable so the modem reverts to mobile

mode, which at least gets us 25Mbps. 

Highlighted

Hey did you have any luck with your online support session? I still have super slow speeds, nothing has been fixed as far as I can tell.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

I'd try power cycling the velocity NTD as well.

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Thanks mate. Have tried that, still nothing. Telstra’s website finally says there is a service outage in the area - fingers crossed

Highlighted

Due to the Velocity support centre not being manned on the weekend, a ticket has been left with them to pickup tomorrow. At least its been acknowledged on the website - I did end up linking this thread to show its a wider spread issue.

Highlighted

Velocity support is 24/7 and calls to the velocity queue have come through today. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Care to share those contact details? I try the number from this page in the support section and get told the queue is not manned. Calls to the normal telstra support line get through to support staff who say they are unavailable too when they try to contact them.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/velocity#supportMod-2-4f23d538-d036-4c87-a40e-74ca01c50ce6-conte...

Highlighted

That is the correct number, 1800 008 994. Not sure why its saying its closed. I've made a test call and I'm getting the same message. I've raised the issue internally. 

Highlighted

Yep - still saying the centre is closed.

Highlighted

Any update on this? Issue has been ongoing for 24hrs now and I have no internet or Foxtel and can't seemingly talk to anyone to resolve. 

Highlighted

I can’t get anything. No one will answer the phone, and velocity calls are terminated.

@Mrleetyler wrote:

Any update on this? Issue has been ongoing for 24hrs now and I have no internet or Foxtel and can't seemingly talk to anyone to resolve. 

the only update has been that their outages site says they know of an issue.

Highlighted

I can’t get anything. No one will answer the phone, and velocity calls are terminated

the only update has been that their outages site says they know of an issue.

Highlighted

Same problem here. In Highgate Hill and on Velocity, and speed test says 321kbps. Been 3 hrs trying to get hold of a real person from Telstra to find out when this is estimated to be fixed. Very frustrating. Tried the velocity call centre number (1800 008994) and only got into a queue once it got past 9am on Monday morning.

If someone has got through and got an response or when service is expected to be back can they post it up please? Meant to be working from home and this is unusable at the moment.

Tim.

Highlighted

I spoke to someone on the 1800 and they acted like no reported outage and blamed it on the power supply for the NDT box and I need a new power cable. I've spoke to my property manager and they've advised others in the building have the same issue so it's not a power cable issue.

Frustrating.

Highlighted

Terrible. Been on hold for 55mins so far to the 1800 number.

Highlighted

Mine has just started working - full speeds restored here.

Highlighted

Finally got through to a human. They said they're aware of the issue and the estimated time to fix it will be 7pm on the 28th May!

Highlighted

I just ran another speed test which connected to the Gold Coast location and got full speeds back. All the previous times it was trying to connect to the Brisbane exchange.

Highlighted

Yeah me too. Apparently once a human actually investigated it was easy enough to fix immediately? This is almost more annoying that nothing could be done yesterday

Highlighted

Let me add my service to those affected. Couldn't even load my email yesterday. Telstra speedtest would not load. Oz Broadband speed test said download was 0.04Mbps. Same situation this morning, til about 9:40am when normal speed resumed. I'm still on wait on the 1800 Velocity number to register my frustration with Telstra (53 minutes and counting--and their waiting music is gratingly annoying), but I also want to speak to a human about an outstanding rectification to my internet service setup that has been beyond Telstra's capactiy to resolve for more than three months now.

Not a happy camper.

Highlighted

So Telstra clearly decided that no one would still be listening to their atrocious waiting music after an hour and my connection to the 1800 line was just terminated.

Highlighted

I found this a timely reminder to write a submission against the proposal to allow Telstra to continue this NBN free monopoly in our neighbourhood. If there were even one or two other ISPs we could choose from I expect there'd be better service. As it is we're a captive market so our complaints fall on deaf ears. I hope everyone on this thread can write a submission!

Highlighted

That's a good tip!

I had thought of doing the same but didn't as it would have been a first venture into the unknown wrt what would happen and I was desperately hoping to maintain at least a marginal connection.

I'll feel more confident to do so should the issue recur.

Highlighted

Velocity is open to other providers, whether they decide to provide services on the velocity network is up to them. 

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

> Velocity is open to other providers, whether they decide to provide services on the velocity network is up to them.

We sell milk for $0.50 a teaspoon (1 Mbps upload on Velocity) while the people over there sell milk for $1.00 a litre (40 Mbps upload on the NBN).

Of course this isn't a problem because we allow people to buy milk from us and resell it, due to no economies of scale whatsoever for the fragmented mess that is Velocity, for $0.60 a teaspoon.

Telstranomics! We greate valeu! SMART> NEW zealdna roling out 8 Gbps fibre? WE OFER 1000 kbps - is more! VALEU SMRT wiht TELSTRA. no suport sunday? y u uze web on sunday, nerds~!

Also Telstra in Fairfax papers: "Australians would have faster, cheaper internet had NBN not been built: Telstra chairman". 5000 kbps maximum after complaining for three months instead of 1500 kbps, either way it's still way more than the piddling 0.04 Gbps that the NBN offers, it's a much bigger number. Captive market? No way, after all other providers can resell it with no economies of scale at more expensive prices than we even do it at.

Highlighted
Highlighted

I should have quoted the relevant part of Pauln1983's post, viz: 

We’ve just unplugged the Velocity cable so the modem reverts to mobile

mode, which at least gets us 25Mbps.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit