CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Velocity slow on everything else except YouTube

My internet speed slowed down significantly since yesterday, 04/02/2019.

Speedtest.net shows 0.8Mbps whilst I have no problem playing 4k videos on YouTube.

I can't log into Overwatch as well. <- This is very important.

My partner relies on the internet for her work as well. <- This is extremely important.

What is happening? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Velocity slow on everything else except YouTube

If you turn off the wifi and run a speed test with only one device connected to Ethernet what result do you get?

Id also recommend calling the velocity team if you havent already
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I have turned of the modem, resetted the modem, turned off the router, resetted the router and all possible troubleshooting scenario.

Speedtest.net shows DL speed of 0.8Mbps.

I have tried calling the velocity team, waiting in queue for more than 30min now.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Forget speedtest, show us the modem/router stats...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

Due to the floods in North Qld where the velocity team is primarily based, there will most likely be longer wait times unfortunately
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I can't seemed to find out the stats from my Asus RT-AC68U router. Is there a way to do it which I don't know of?
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

No, I am not familiar with that router... And to be honest, I am not familiar with the Velocity set up either... But being able to play 4K videos from YouTube and having just 0.8Mbps down does not seem to be plausible... Something does not add up here...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

Velocity is similar to NBN FTTP, there aren't any stats that can be obtained from the modem like ADSL.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Where are you located Shakku? I am seeing almost identical symptoms in postcode 3173 over the last 24 hours. Very slow Internet including Foxtel download on demand. Speedtest is giving me ~1Mbps up &amp; down.

I’ll definitely be ringing Velocity in the morning if there has been no improvement by then.
Highlighted

Tell me about it. It's baffling me too.
Highlighted

I'm in 3030. Good luck waiting on hold... hopefully it won't be as bad as mine
Highlighted

I've had this problem since Friday (1/2/19), I contacted Telstra just about everyday and they can't help because we are with Telstra Velocity who is base in Townsville. The Townsville team aren't contactable because of the flooding and apparently there is nothing Telstra can do until Townsville is back in operation! 

I'm in the 4215 area, there is not much you can so when you have 0.18 mbps download and 0.23 upload so I've resorted to using my mobile phone data.

I'm hoping you find a solution soon.
Highlighted

If you're in Victoria there is an outage affecting the speed on Velocity services. Currently there is not ETR. The Townsville Velocity team are currently taking Velocity calls.

Highlighted

It seems that the service is back in order. hitting 30Mbps/1.45Mbps in speedtest.net this morning at 6am. Hopefully it stays this way.
Highlighted

Sweet. Thank you for the update.

Highlighted

Confirmed here too.  31.1/1.43 this morning.

Highlighted

I have the exact same situation with Telstra Velocity internet. I am at 3173 postcode and experienced this problem for 2 days. Very slow speed with general browsing but can get to watch Youtube videos. However videos from Youtube are not as smooth as before with intermittent pauses.

Is Telstra ever going to upgrade the infrastructure? I am willing to pay more to get faster speed but I can't even do this. The most expensive subpar service on the market and to make it worse, I don't even have an option to choose another provider. Extremely frustrating.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit