Firstman
Level 2: Rookie

Very Frustrated wit Telstra

Short story because the long one just raises my blood pressure. Moved to new location where only Telstra service. Chose ADSL until NBN connects. Ordered to commence 2 Jul 21 but Telstra sent modem in June and commenced billing from June. I messaged (many times on the app) and was assured a credit would be put in place to correct the error and a $20 discount applied. $20 discount came but no recredit of the erroneous monthly charge.
I didn’t pay as it was a Telstra error and acknowledged by Telstra but I kept receiving texts telling me to pay or my service would be disconnected. Telstra then applied outstanding fees to my bill. More calls and messages to sort it out - every agent agreed the error but no-one had the authority to fix it. Then an email out of the blue from an agent saying they had tried to call me that morning (no missed calls) and could I contact them to sort it out. I rang and waited for 50 mins before I had to leave the call. I emailed again. Four days later, a random call from Telstra in this middle of a business meeting - I asked could she call back in 30 mins when I finish my meeting…”no sorry I will be off shift’. We agreed for her to call back at 9am the next morning. No call. 
Telstra eventually called at 1236 however I was in another meeting and agreed they call back in 1 hour 20 mins at 2pm. No call. So frustrated by this time. Left it. Got an email from Telstra a week later from the same person who emailed previously (who said he had called but didn’t) to request I ring them again to sort it out. By now the charges have amassed to $235. I did nothing. One week later I get an email sating Telstra have applied a $235 credit to my bill. Go figure.

I switched to 4G Large Upfront plan as ADSL was too slow. Today I awoke to a new billing month (as per the Telstra app) only to find 33.5gb of my 400gb plan has been “used” between midnight and 8am and the app said 32 days left in the month.  Clearly something screwy is going on. We live on a rural property with a complex password on the modem and no neighbours in range and no access to the property possible. Clearly it is a Telstra error. So more messaging this morning via the app - a series of inane questions from someone who doesn’t read what you have written. 
I am fed up with Telstra’s customer support. I have been with them for 3 months and I cannot wait for NBN to be connected this month so I can give them the boot. No single person takes accountability for managing a client’s issues (that Telstra created and admits to) and the onus is always on the customer to prove the problem and sort it out via complex, opaque service systems that are disconnected within the company. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Firstman

Re: Very Frustrated wit Telstra

Just to add, Telstra agent on the app tells me to wait 48 hours for the payment to go through their system. interestingly, I received a text from Telstra this morning thanking me for my payment giving me a receipt number but their system doesn’t reflect the payment. For some reason I have to wait 48 hours for that payment to register which the agent says will fix the 33.5gb of data usage error. ??? I remain doubtful the application of my automatic payment will reset the error of 33.5gb usage registered against my account in error. I have never had any issue with any ISP in 20 years - mind you, I have never been been with Telstra until now. I cannot wait to move away. 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It can take 24-48 hours for the payment to show on your account once you've made it. It's a clunky system.

You do have the option of complaining to the ombudsman if the problem doesn't get fixed (although they have a large backlog currently) via https://tio.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Em_C
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Firstman, I appreciate your frustration and anger here - having to contact Telstra multiple times for the same issue is something we try and avoid as much as possible. Is there anything I can assist you with today? I'm keen to help out where I can.

Firstman

Thank you Em C. As I indicated, yesterday was the monthly rollover for my account. On waking it was evident that the MyTelstra app registered 33.5GB of use (of my 400GB limit) between rollover time (assuming midnight) and 8am when I looked. Neither my wife nor I had used anything. This was affirmed in the morning when I contacted the Telstra agent on the app who sent a copy of the usage log. I am happy to share the log in DM or you can prob look it up. The log indicated no usage on 5 Oct (rollover day) as I stated, but they said the 33.5gb was from 29 Sep - 3 Oct which is in last month's timeframe and not applicable to this month. They then indicated this would all be sorted when the automatic payment (for which I had a receipt) shuffles its way through the Telstra system and the 33.5gb would be recredited. Call me sceptical, but I don't see how data usage applied erroneously from one month to the start of another will magically be reset as a result of my billing being reconciled. I was told to wait 24/48 hours for this to occur.

Well we are at hour 42 and nothing has changed. The 33.5gb remains charged against the current month when it applies to last month. I acknowledge this is a relatively minor issue but we rely on every GB of our use each month and this comes on the back of a prolonged and highly frustrating series of contacts (and failed contacts) with Telstra over an error the company made at the start of our contract. While that issue was resolved last week, this week brings a new and exasperating challenge with Telstra. Any help in resolving would be appreciated. 

Firstman

So here we are.....three days of messaging on MyTelstra and DMs to Em_C and no progress at all. Nothing. 

I have spent 12.5 hours today on MyTelstra speaking to agents being asked the same questions over and over and over and over. I provide the information, get asked to uninstall and reinstall apps which I do, provide receipt numbers which I do, confirm address and account details which I do and now at 10.45pm, coming up to 13 hours of chat with Telstra to day, the agent asks me "is this for your service ending in XXX". Dear Lord!!!!! I only have one service with Telstra which I have been messaging about it for nearly 13 hours today and 3 days beforehand. I cannot express the level of frustration and shock at how completely and utterly inept the customer service of this company is. Surely it must be a deliberate tactic to wear the customer down until they drop the complaint.

Please, please, please Telstra - give me one person to speak to on the phone that can resolve this simple issue and solve days and days of incredibly poor service. This is truly unbelievable. 

Renee
Level 21: Augmented

Hey Firstman,

Just checking in to see if you are still wanting assistance with this one. If so, if you have any references on hand, it would help immensely.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Firstman

Thanks Renee. It's been over 48 hours since I spent 13 hours on the chat in the MyTelstra app where I was eventually informed at the end of a long day of sending the same information, that it would be investigated and a response within 48 hours. I have heard nothing again. So the problem remains despite hours and hours of attempts to rectify. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

What sort of references do you need? Are you able to access the MyTelstra app chat?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit