MickT1
Level 2: Rookie

very poor nbn speed soon after fantastic speeds.

Answered

Hi all, I'd really appreciate some help here.

I will paint a picture of the scenario to try and show my issue:

- I recently switched to NBN service, a few days ago in fact.

- Upon speaking to the representative, they told me I cannot do better than 25/5 speeds at the moment.

- The base 25/5 speed was stable, and sitting around 25/5 consistently.

- I had spoken with a friend just 4 houses up the street, and they said they were getting a 100/40 plan with another provider. I explained what the telstra rep had told me.

- Curious; I decided to contact telstra 24x7 and opted for a 100/40 boost, explaining what the original rep had told me. They said there would be no problem with the speed boost, so they gave it to me.

-Thursday the speed was ridiculously fast and sat around 90-95mb/s down and 35-40mb/s up.

-Yesterday was the same story until the evening hours, where the down speed tanked to 30-40mb/s. The up speed remained.

-Today all the way through it has consistently been under 30mb/s down.

Nothing has changed since I received the boost. I just got off the phone with 1800tfibre and they tell me some nonsense that co-existence can cause my 100 down to suffer. This seem ridiculous, as I had no such problem with the non-boosted plan. If that is the case; what is the point other than giving Telstra more money?

I also spoke to 24x7 support about the issue and they said the speed was indeed 'unstable'. This is the person who also granted me the boost, however they redirected me to the uneventful 1800tfibre conversation.

I was really enjoying this super fast connection, but all of a sudden I just can't get it back...why??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: very poor nbn speed soon after fantastic speeds.

That last one is the one I was after.

That looks pretty right to me, that is saying that close to 100/40 should be achievable.

I would check it tomorrow morning if you are able to (between 9-3 are the quietest times and if possible are the best times to check for a comparison) - if it is faster, especially if it is back up around the 50+ mark it is going to be highly likely to be congestion/CVC.

If it is still slow that would be more suggestive of a fault or network issue.

Either way, once you have that extra info I would suggest speaking to 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) and see if they can help further in getting it back up, or if it is congestion can tell you if they have any CVC upgrades booked so you have an idea how long before it is hopefully starting to be fixed.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
DrQ

If it started slowing down during the evenings it sounds like it is a congestion issue rather than a network capability issue.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

MickT1

That would make sense, but it continued up until this moment.
During the day yesterday it was perfectly fine.
DrQ

Weekends are normally higher usage anyway because there are more people online so weekends are a hard one to use as a validation.

What type of nbn is it? FTTP, FTTP or HFC?
Helpful Links

MickT1

It's FTTN.

I really hope you're right about the weekend being the culprit.

I mean, I can understand congestion lowering my speeds but to such an extent? It's quite depressing, to be honest. Smiley Sad

I'll give it a week and see the behaviour, as I've only had it since Wednesday. That way I guess it will help me determine if it is indeed congestion (as you mentioned) and not a fault.

Thanks for suggesting it DrQwerty90 Smiley Happy

MickT1

Just an update:

Tested it right now and it was 7mb/s down and 35mb/s up.

This is borderline BS.

I thought the minimum was 12mb/s down even under congestion.

DrQ

NBN only guarantee 12/1mbps during off peak times. And it isn't really a guarantee but rather a target. If it is slower they won't prevent it they leave it up to the RSP to purchase more CVC.

IMHO NBN is a joke. The MTM (using the mix of tech) is the least of the problems. If it is congestion it is likely that Telstra don't have enough CVC and it can take a while for processing of more CVC to go through which can mean delays until it is fixed. Both sides of politics have failed ideas of NBN and are more focused on an NBN that makes huge money rather than giving us an NBN that is actually about the Connectivity.

Can you go into your modem and post your connection stats. It should be under http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband as that can give some insight into confirming congestion or a fault. Not always but can be advantageous reference.
Helpful Links

MickT1

I hope this is what you're looking for.

stats3.jpg

stats2.jpgstats1.jpg

MickT1

This too?

stats4.jpg

DrQ
Accepted Solution

That last one is the one I was after.

That looks pretty right to me, that is saying that close to 100/40 should be achievable.

I would check it tomorrow morning if you are able to (between 9-3 are the quietest times and if possible are the best times to check for a comparison) - if it is faster, especially if it is back up around the 50+ mark it is going to be highly likely to be congestion/CVC.

If it is still slow that would be more suggestive of a fault or network issue.

Either way, once you have that extra info I would suggest speaking to 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) and see if they can help further in getting it back up, or if it is congestion can tell you if they have any CVC upgrades booked so you have an idea how long before it is hopefully starting to be fixed.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

MickT1

Yeah, I just tested it and it's at 94mb/s down and 38mb/s up.

MickT1

Okay, just got off the phone and they said an upgrade will be done tomorrow or the next day. Apparently they've been monitoring the congestion since the beginning of the month, so hopefully it helps even a little.

Thank you again for the help! +1 to all of your posts Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit