Level 2: Rookie

Very slow ADSL speed

Answered

I have  only had my Internet adsl account for 2 mths now and in that time ive lost the Internet for 2 weeks and my speed is slow all the time it wont even let me watch videos without them stopping to load every 30secs, cant even get good speeds to skype!

what can i do guys? ive rung telstra many times and they just tell me that ther doesnt seem to be any faults but i may as well be using dial up thats how bad this is

please help what are my options???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Very slow ADSL speed

That is quite slow compared to your distance from the exchange (I must say though, your download speed is still 50% better than mine).

First thought would be the quality of your line coming to your house

Second thought would be what the actual line run distance is from the exchange. Even though you are only 1.5km from the exchange, the actual cable distance could be a lot longer.

Third thought: ADSL2+ filters and Central Line Splitters, how old are they? I replaced my Filters not too long ago and got a 20% increase in speed right away (my cordless phone was the big culprit here - don't place the base station within 60cm of the wall socket and have the ADSL2+ filter plugged directly in to the wall socket using a 5cm leader cable).

And yes, downloading through your mobile is usually a lot faster. I'm lucky and have 4G and can get a 50-70Mbps connection compared to about 2.3Mbps on my ADSL2+.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
43 REPLIES 43
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you switched to ethernet to see if that solved your issue?

What advice were you given by the technical support agents you spoke to?

Yup have tried that and was the same. All they have said was reset the modem and they will reset from the exchange.they said I may be experiencing a high usage from people.

I haven't even bin able to use up half of my usage a mth as it just takes way to long to load and download anything

Can you post your modem stats here and run a test from speedtest.net and post here as well.  Also go to www.adsl2exhanges.com.au and lookup your address (don't post your address here). Post your estimated distance and speed here as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

sorry mate have been away

ping is 54ms

download; 3.51mbps

upload;0.27 mbps

and im only 1.5km away from the exchange

its just so wierd i can download things faster on my phone thru another provider than i can through the adsl i have now and telstra dont seem to care or give me any answers 

still lost as to what my options are

Accepted Solution

That is quite slow compared to your distance from the exchange (I must say though, your download speed is still 50% better than mine).

First thought would be the quality of your line coming to your house

Second thought would be what the actual line run distance is from the exchange. Even though you are only 1.5km from the exchange, the actual cable distance could be a lot longer.

Third thought: ADSL2+ filters and Central Line Splitters, how old are they? I replaced my Filters not too long ago and got a 20% increase in speed right away (my cordless phone was the big culprit here - don't place the base station within 60cm of the wall socket and have the ADSL2+ filter plugged directly in to the wall socket using a 5cm leader cable).

And yes, downloading through your mobile is usually a lot faster. I'm lucky and have 4G and can get a 50-70Mbps connection compared to about 2.3Mbps on my ADSL2+.

View solution in original post

Level 1: Cadet

I spend so much time on the phone or on live chat, trying to get something done about the ridiculously slow speeds and weak wifi signals, and the staff have always been extremely friendly and thorough, but the long drawn out process is absolutely useless! Time and time again, same routine, same outcome.  No improvement. I don't want any more smiley faces in messages unless I get positive results. I have even tried replacing the modem, using differnt browsers and buying a wifi range expander, as advised during one of these calls. I still cannot upload a short video to youtube in under 4 hours. 

Telstra have spent a fortune improving customer services and training staff to be so superhumanly polite and friendly that you cannot possibly give them a bad rating, even though they have not been able to solve the problem.  After two hours online tonight, to 3 different technicians, no solution was arrived at, and i was told, yet again, that everything appeared normal at their end.  When I finally asked her to please just admit there was nothing more she could actually do, SHE ABRUPTLY ENDED THE SESSION! 

And you know those "random" customer satisfaction surveys which I have always been asked (without fail) to complete after every cheerful albeit unsuccessful exchange ... I didn't get one this time.  If things don't improve, I think we should all go to the ombudsman en masse, if only to get the point across to Telstra. This is simply not good enough. Every time a complaint is made to the ombudsman it costs telstra hundreds of dollars. Just a thought.

I have had the same experience. No matter how many phone calls with tech support and complaints - I have intermittent connection which includes at best downloads of around 2MB/s and usually I have trouble opening basic webpages.

This is an everyday occurrence, not just once off. We have tried all the same trouble shooting suggestions – nothing works. Same slow internet and yet we pay a premium as Telstra is the only provider.

Happy to join a class action complaint with ombudsman – I agree, the slow service is simply not good enough. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi GWS

It's disappointing to hear that you've had ongoing issues with your internet service and reported the fault multiple times to no avail. I believe you would have checked by now to make sure equipment(isolation test) on your premises are not faulty and compatible with Adsl 2+ and not causing the slow speed. If not it would be worth making sure of that. 

There are also Exchange DSLAMs that are affected by high demand causing slow internet speed. We are working on upgrading these exchanges and that list can be viewed here: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-backhaul-upgrade.xls

In some cases it will be necessary to put a line profile on your service to provide a more stable connection which in some cases (but not all) can increase your speed as a result. This can be adjusted by logging into MyBigPond. More info on how Line Profiles work here:

For help with the above or for anything else you can speak to our FOH faults team.

-Faaiz

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Reading your stats below I could only think of a Monty Python script "you lucky, lucky B...st..d", I have been performing the speed test through Ookla and have acheived an average speed of .92Mb/s over about 50 tests.

Had the tech around and he beleives he found something at the exchange or where ever, still no good, gave me a new modem, still no good.

Did you get your issue resolved?

I'm in the Hunter Valley where the NBN has been deferred indefinetly.........

Congested exchange - upgraded in August 2013 according to Telstra Wholesale site only this seems to be when it slowed significantly.  I think the upgrade simply consisted of hooking 900 more lines into a 123 port 20Mbps exchange.  All is fine between 1:30am and 8am, but try to use it during the day or evening is hopeless - now down to 1.23Mbps only 250m from the exchange and used to get ~11Mbps consistently.  3G is way faster for most of the day.  Not much joy from the complaints team only to tell me it is congested and the engineers have nothing in the pipeline, how long do I have to pay good $ for bad delivery - they can't and probably don't want to tell me that.

Hi,

My new Telstra  Entertainer Super Bundle- M, ADSL, was connected on the 23/05/2014 at 7.30pm. After a few teathing problems everything is now connected and up and running. However, I am experiencing very slow ADSL speed. For example, this morning i conducted a speed test and the result was as follows;

Your line speed is 1.72 Mbps (1718 kbps).
Your download speed is 215 KB/s (0.21 MB/s).

I have done a number of speed tests over the nine days that the bundle has been operating and the average has been 3.42Mbps with the highest speed achieved of 10.48Mbps.

I am studing through OUA and need to have a reliable speed as I have to do exams and download papers etc.

What can i do?

Thanks Linda

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Linda,

There are a few steps you can complete for slow speeds. Can you try isolating the connection and seeing if this makes any improvement? Does rebooting the modem boost the speed at all?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

how can rebooting the modem give faster d/l speeds?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Himsy,

Modems, like computers & mobile phones etc, benefit from being restarted from time to time. 

It can help to resolve performance issues within the modem itself. It is why restarting everything is part of the Tech Support 101 Handbook and has been solving problems since the internet began.

- Shelly

I have had my ADSL connected for less than a week & am pretty unhappy with the speed.

It takes about 3 minutes to open a page & forget about YouTube! I can't have more than one tab open or the whole thing seems to grind to a halt.

I am starting university next year & am relying on my PC & ADSL connection as it is Open Foundation Online but I imagine, if this snail pace continues, I will smash a screen in frustration before the first semester is through!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Skye_Starkey,

Im sorry to hear that you are having issues with your internet service. I know this can be very frustrating and I apologise for the inconvenience.

You can check to see if there is an outage in your area by entering your postcode and suburb in our service status checker: http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicestatus/goc.do?q=summary.html

Please powercycle your modem and computer: Unplug from power > Leave off for 10 - 15 mins > then Plug back in and re start. This will often force a line update through to your modem advising the signal is restored.

Please make sure you have not exceeded you monthly usage allowance and have been shaped (slowed). You can do this via My Account http://tel.st/cpyn 

Here are some other DIY support tools you can try. 

Is your ADSL service running as fast as it could be?

How to test your speed

Make sure your modem settings are correct

ADSL Self service tool:

Change your line profile:

How to peform an Isolation test:

ADSL Troubleshooting tips

If you try all the steps in these articles and have no luck with your connection, Please speak to our Technical support team.

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

I too would like to join the chorus of "slow speeds". I have ADSL2+, 2Km from the exchange and my modem is a Netcomm NB6 ethernet wired ( I don't like wireless). Loading pages is reasonably fast but when it comes to videos i'd rather watch paint dry. I performed the OOKLA speed test with everyting disconnected (phones, filters etc) only the modem was connected and this is what i got ... PING 31ms, D/L 0.30 Mbps and U/L 0.67Mbps. My troubles started 3 months ago up to then my connection was ok. I haven't talked to anyone in Telstra yet but i thought to look here first for any clues. Coincidently the troubles started when i changed my telephone/Foxtel bundle.My next step will be to disconnect the leadin from the house at the Luca box and plug the modem directly to the leadin and then run the test and see if it makes anydifference. If i see an improvement that will mean there is something wrong with my house wiring but if not it will mean is the Telstra side of things. I want to do this first before i start annoying the wonderfull people at Telstra who i must say the few times i have rang for other issues they have been great to assist.

Thanks.

Telstra bigpond adsl is nightmare. I transfered from TPG to Telstra Bigpond adsl Fast 200G on Aug 2014. I think the Telstra would provide better service, more reliable. But from then, the data usage has never over 10%. My family member always blame me why you transfer it to telstra.  I can't stand to use it. I did isolation test (wire, not wi-fi) use www.speedtest.net to test it. Even, I test it after 23PM. The download speeds were around 1.2 Mbs.

I try use traceroute command to trace the google or telstra websit. It's showing as [EDITED] delay (166.218 ms--oh, my god).

I call the telstra service at least 3 times. But so far, I haven't get any lucky. I don't know whether or not I should terminal the current contract (It will end on Aug 2016).    

---------trace log to google.com

Jianjuns-Mac-ProSmiley Very Happyictionaries Sean$ traceroute www.google.com

traceroute: Warning: www.google.com has multiple addresses; using 74.125.203.105

traceroute to www.google.com (74.125.203.105), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  1.103 ms  0.605 ms  0.706 ms

2  172.18.208.9 (172.18.208.9)  26.227 ms  26.023 ms  24.952 ms

3  172.18.66.193 (172.18.66.193)  25.694 ms  26.403 ms  25.183 ms

4  bundle-ether11.chw-edge901.sydney.telstra.net (139.130.190.165)  25.415 ms  25.848 ms  24.905 ms

5  bundle-ether2.ken-edge901.sydney.telstra.net (203.50.11.102)  27.698 ms  26.200 ms  26.799 ms

6  goo1154859.lnk.telstra.net (139.130.213.54)  25.709 ms  26.083 ms  25.536 ms

7  * 209.85.142.94 (209.85.142.94)  38.515 ms  25.977 ms

8  209.85.249.52 (209.85.249.52)  124.974 ms  125.939 ms  125.413 ms

9  209.85.243.248 (209.85.243.248)  170.858 ms

209.85.243.164 (209.85.243.164)  135.814 ms

209.85.142.130 (209.85.142.130)  147.968 ms

10  209.85.242.56 (209.85.242.56)  164.378 ms

64.233.174.199 (64.233.174.199)  162.018 ms

209.85.250.91 (209.85.250.91)  164.410 ms

11  209.85.246.218 (209.85.246.218)  166.218 ms

209.85.248.241 (209.85.248.241)  160.902 ms

209.85.246.218 (209.85.246.218)  164.170 ms

----- trace log to telstra.com-----

Jianjuns-Mac-ProSmiley Very Happyictionaries Sean$ traceroute www.telstra.com

traceroute to www.telstra.com (144.140.108.23), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  1.264 ms  0.743 ms  0.672 ms

2  172.18.208.9 (172.18.208.9)  24.518 ms  25.833 ms  25.711 ms

3  172.18.66.193 (172.18.66.193)  25.245 ms  30.481 ms  25.689 ms

4  * 172.18.117.1 (172.18.117.1)  25.308 ms  26.097 ms

5  172.18.117.10 (172.18.117.10)  25.290 ms  24.369 ms  24.948 ms

6  bundle-ether11.chw-edge901.sydney.telstra.net (139.130.190.165)  25.994 ms  26.408 ms  26.706 ms

7  bundle-ether13.chw-core10.sydney.telstra.net (203.50.11.98)  27.180 ms  26.046 ms  31.444 ms

8  bundle-ether8.exi-core10.melbourne.telstra.net (203.50.11.125)  40.229 ms  42.426 ms  41.180 ms

9  203.50.80.79 (203.50.80.79)  39.701 ms  41.782 ms  39.593 ms

10  tels996818.lnk.telstra.net (139.130.75.98)  39.462 ms  42.253 ms  39.620 ms

[EDITED]

LINES 11 - 47  * * *

EDITED for language and unnecessary lines with *** 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

A traceroute doesn't really help to diagnose speed issues and there are limitations to the speed available over ADSL.

I normally suggest customers take a read through the following links to help troubleshoot their services.

Whirlpool article about ADSL speeds: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

Troubleshoot speed: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

ADSL Isolation: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

WiFi Troubleshooting: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

If Tech Support are unable to resolve, and you were previously getting a better service at the same location from another service provider, then you may wish to discuss this further with the Cancellations team who will be able to discuss your options.

- Shelly

I have just moved house 4 streets in Balwyn. Previous house used IINET ADSL and received approx 6.8MPS download and extremely reliable (very rare drop outs). New house is nearer Canterbury exchange using Telstra Bigbond "Fast" ADSL. Only receiving 4.5MPS with many 3-5 minute dropouts during the course of a day. Today I have changed configuration from "Standard" to "Noise Profile 1". So far no drop outs but speed is now a dismal 3.36 MPS - half the speed of IINET but nearer the exchange. To call this "FAST" ADSL is a joke !!!!!!

my ADSL dropping off. if I do a speed test, down load will shoot up to about 3.5 Mbps but will start to drop straight away, and settle at about .5Mbps! have rebooted the router, and all hardware connected to my network disconnected. are there any issues with the network in 5159. crap at the best of times, but this is rubbish!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Stuart2, 

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. 

There are no current reports in your area, therefore I would recommend having a chat with our 24/7 Tech Support team

Regards Smiley Happy 

Hi Guys,

It seems like I am not the only unfortunate. We recently transfered from IINET to Telstra ADSL2+ as we thought Telstra could give us better connection. Apparently it is a dum idea and my family blames me for transfering the ISP.

The service in my house is very slow and quite unstable. I am a Systems and Network administrator in a middle scale envirment across Asia-Pacific area. I did all the troubleshootings before I call Telstra for help and I keep calling them sinc e the Day one. Now the Download speed is only 5mbps during day time and drops down to 3mbps in the evening. 

After contacted Telstra a few time in the first week, they programmed the line and sometimes the D/S could reach 16mbps(same as IINET), but it slowed down to 5mbps after a couple of weeks. 

We got Telstra Techy performed lots of testing on site and they gave me the sumary that the connection is normal and stable. It looks like nothing wrong with the service. Is this what we pay for? more expensive for slower service?Waste time to call Telstra daily basis as our part time job after work? Turn off WIFI to use faster 4G data in house?

We are really frustrated and the problem is always there, quiet and stable. It doesn't matter how long and how often that I call the 24*7 support line. Most of the time, the support staff are so extremely polite that we cannot give lower rank in the random survey.

I dont think telstra will solve the problem and their replies under this topic just some common sense and links.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Exhausted, 

One of the basics we can advise is to try an isolation test.  This will rule out issues caused by other equipment on the line interfering with the speed.  You can find instructions on how to do this by visiting this page: How To Perform An Isolation test

Ben 

I've been paying for 64 whatever for sooo long. For the first time in a long time i've tried to watch a move online and can't watch it. Did a speed test.....i'm gettting 30.21. WTF!!??? On the phone to Telstra now....it will take 3 to 6 business days. So i'm paying for a 64 where i get 30.21....and who knows how long this has been happening?!!

Level 10: Junior Detective

Hello All - May not help you in any practical sense, but I have an identical problem, see my posts in another forum and the extent to which I have gone to seek some resolution. My online speed went from about 15mbs to currently less than 1mbs over several weeks. You are wasting your time with BP,  will hide behind emails, websites, crowdsupport and so on, tone deaf to our genuine issues.  What about elevation of our concerns to another level outside BP eg the Ombudsman or equivalent.  Anyone any ideas??

Just tested speed online ie Ozspeedtest, 0.55 mbs.  BP is not interested, just ticking the box.  Went through all sorts of BP so-called online resolutions, download speed worse than ever.  Long term loyalty to Telstra does not count for much?

Re: Very slow ADSL speed complete closedown of internet

To All - Just thought many may have some empathy with those involved in this Canberra Times article today ie 8/10/2015.  We can all relate to Telstra BigPond's bureaucratic combative defences to its paying customers and on many occasions overt indifference if not arrogance.  At a national level with everyone exhorting the necessity for more digitally enhanced modes of doing our business, no less than the PM Mr Turnbull who is on the money on this one.  Unfortunately he must not be aware of Telstra BigPond efforts in the equation, always an antidote to modern and progressive online standards of performance.

At the local ACT level, we are looking at these types of small to medium business owners to rebuild the economy.  Post Federal election in September 2013, the penny has finally dropped ie cannot rely indefinitely on large numbers of public sector empoyees to grow the economy.  Everyone is on the same page with his need to diversify and de-risk the local economy, ie except Telstra that is.  Would not even contemplate the mere concept of a proper service to its customers.  For my part, nothing at all from BP, do not expect anything re my internet speed, slight improvment to around 1 mbps, bring back dialup as an option!!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/angry-hume-traders-threaten-class-action-against-telstra-fo...

Just to report some action by BP.  My internet speeds ie download and upload, are almost identical at or around

0.58 mbps, a stunning outcome, well done to all, good fight back on your part.  Australia deserves better than this, particularly at a time when there is a overwhelming consensus on the need for cohesive nation building to compete with the growing economies in our region.  Australia is one of the worst ranked countries in the world on internet performance and is contributing in no small way to the gradual decline in our living standards.  Telstra has a myopic view on it's potential to show some leadership as one of the major publicly listed companies (amongst the top six or therabouts) and lead the way with high quality communications, instead we get that bottom shelf type of website responses to paying customers to avoid any practical resolutions. Relatively speaking, while I was unable to deal with some important business and finanacial matters recently through a combination of up to 20 droputs and disconnections plus a slower than dialup internet speed on a daily basis,  my sympathies to the local ACT merchants whose livelihoods were affected by Telstra's lack of concern for its paying customers.  Refer my post of 8/10/2015 with the Canberra Times article.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Acter,

I apologise for the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your internet service.

When performing these speed tests, are you connected to the modem via WiFi or ethernet cable? Have you contacted Tech Support so that your service can be investigated further?

- Shelly

Shelly - Spent most of yesterday pm with the so-called specialists.  Isolations tests, more talk, more proforma questions, more talk, more form completions, passed from one to another, more talk, more assurances, more talk, more online testing, more incident reports, have at least four reference numbers by now, and counting.  Bottom line right now, download much reduced to about 1 mbps, at least 5 droputs and disconnects this morning alone, each time requiring application and sometimes desktop reboot, but from your end, more box ticking no doubt.  With due respect, do not need your perfunctory emails with a bundle of links, nothing of any practical assistance so far, but from the volume of postings from a wide variety of customers, that is about it.

Shelly - Perhaps some practical advice if you are up to it.  Just received online my monthly Telstra combined and bundled account, included in such is a large component for "fast ADSL2+ internet".  Given the current situation and for most of the preceeding month, my download internet speed is consistently at or around 1 mbps,as well as the customary up to 10 or more dropouts and disconnections each business day, (refer previous postings), should I pay for a service that is not being provided, unless of course you consider the current internet speed meets the fast criteria as defined by BP.  Welcome your considered advice.

Shelly Telstra - No further action required from you on this one, easy to put together a bundle of ineffectual links in a distracting post and disappear from sight.  After the marathon time yesterday, just had ring back from internet consultant re some field investigations.  Here's hoping!!  Have paid the monthly bill imediately, as always, like most of your loyal customers, meeting their responsibilities.  Should try it sometime, may give someone some satisfaction as to improving the nations productivity.  There it goes again, that flying pig!!

I have very bad experience with Telstra, as nightmare 

I have used Telstra in 4 months and I have a problem in 4 times.

No internet within 24days to wait they come to settle and they told me to buy dongle, credit will be transfered in next bill and everytime they just give me few gb data, I have to call they everyday to require more data.

Then we have internet , but they still sent overdue bill to me because they did not credit transfer from dongle I bought before and cut the internet out. I was very sick with them

And now, we no internet again and again even home line phone. We have to use mobile phone to call them and waiting and waiting, they transfered to 7 person and every single time and i have to repeat full of details and the problem. They kicked me around between homephone line and internet. It took me 2 hours.Finally they said they will call back but never call back.

I have to take 1 day off to ring them again and they said wait 2 more week ,they will send technican support to my house because now they busy. How sock they do. Your schedule is improtant and how about my family? Uni exam, HSC season....we need internet for study and working. And now my mobile phone get overbill because everytime i rung them it took 2-3 hours to wait and to transfer but nothing at all.

why we pay full payment very month but i cant get th internet . It is not fair.

For Telstra - Update for my case.  Local technician turned up on time to investigate the complaint.  He listened to my statement as to the fault, then proceeded to examine the Telstra side of the internet feed both at the premises, the nearby pole for the line connection, below ground pit several streets away, and the exchange.  After all of this the technician reported a significant fault, yes you guessed it at the exchange, that was responsible for recurring droputs and disconnections, and a slowing down of the internet speed to less than the old dialup. Bottom line now, no dropouts or disconnections and a return to the original speed ie at or about 12 mbps.  So far so good.  Well done to the courteous technician.

1. What is the process for seeking a rebate or equivalent for the 4-5 weeks that my internet was performing well below the required level, due entirely to a fault on the Telstra side, not to mention fault was only identified and reported by the customer, otherwise would have at the defective status indefinitely?
  2. Technician suggested an upgarde to my modem based purely on the length of service,  so far about 4-5 years.  Have a Thomson Gateway  ??, seems to be performing ok, but open to an upgrade.  I understand there are some tricks to an upgrade, any links that may assist??

Welcome a prompt response.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Acter,

I am glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you. You can submit a formal complaint to discuss a rebate via any method listed here: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

In regards to the modem, customers have a few options:

- If within contract, customers can contact Tech Support to organise a free modem replacement

- If not within contract, customers can contact Accounts (or your complaint case manager) to purchase a T-Gateway or T-Gateway Max

- customers also have the option to purchase a BYO modem of their choice but please be aware that BigPond Tech Support will not assist with the actual configuration of that modem. 

- Shelly

Stop giving the same answers lol

Hi Acter

Your problems perfectly mirrors mine here in Bathurst. How did you convince Telstra to get a local technician to visit the the site and test the Telstra infrastructure. Who did you talk to. Has the fault now been repaired and has your download  speeds increased.

Steve54

mine is in the same boat. i have ADSL and i am only 500M away, my ping is 30-70ms on average (on bad days its 700ms) mines listed as Fast - ADSL on the internet info. my download speed is only upto 2.3mb/s, normally 1.5mb/s.

upload speed is 200kb/s-50kb/s. its really slow, when downloading something it wont download over 300KB/s sometimes 400KB/s normally 200-270KB/s.

something is really wrong, my friend is further away to the same exchange but he is getting 8-10mb/s

this is how far im away from the exchange not even 400m, my friend lives 2KM further away. and my speedtest5144381104.pngCapture.PNG

Just wondering is anyone else having really slow ADSL today?

Mine is particularly bad!!! (took 5mins just to load this page!!!)

I have been in a constant running battle with Telstra over the last 2 mths trying to explain to these poor Techs over in where ever that we are having very slow speeds and drop out.

Every time I get one of these very helpful people on the ph they say I will run a line test and what ever test they do.

Only for them to come back and say the line speed is fine and there is no evedence of internet drop out.

I have sent some very to the point emails but Im not getting any response.

What Im more upset about is that we are paying good money for a very poor 3rd rate service

The Techs have gone as far to say you may have to try another provider!!

What is the point of another provider when they are using the Telstra wires and exchanges nothing is going to change!!

I have asked for a Smart Arial to boost our mobile service as this is also very poor, but Telstra fobbed me off saying again there is nothing wrong with our ADSL service.

Just wondering what we have to do to get through to Telstra as you cant speak to an Aussie.

When you go to the Telstra store they give you a piece of paper with a ph number on ot saying ring this Number here we cant help!!!

Some one must have an answer some where!!!

This is very annoying Im about to pull what grey hairs I have left out!!1

Have a nice day.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Brcdiesel,

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing you, appreciate your concern and can empathise with you as I often experience similar issues at my home address. What is your postcode and I can check for current outages in your area? In the meantime, please refer to the following troubleshooting guide as it may help address some of the issues you're experiencing: Is your ADSL service running as fast as it could be?

-Georgie

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit