Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Very slow ADSL speed

Answered

Hi, i live in Armadale WA 6112, and i have ADSL2+ internet which is telstra's 100GB Fast home phone+bigpond bundle for $79.95 per month.

Now the issue is my internet speed.

I am getting:

1.23 mbps download and

0.56 mbps upload?

very slow, very disappointed.

i heard that i possibly might be on the old switch board at the exchange and i just need to be switched to the new switch board?

But anyway this internet sucks and needs to be resolved asap.

Regards Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Very slow ADSL speed

Hi scootr1,

Welcome to CrowdSupport,

ADSL as a technology has limitations as to the speeds that it is capable of provisioning. The speeds achieved are dependent on a number of factors, but the largest one is the cable distance from your premises to the ADSL equipment itself. Maximum theoretical speeds can be found at: Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity)

For our technicians to investigate this for you and ensure you are getting the most out of your connection, I would strongly recommend making contact with us directly via 133 933 and stating 'ADSL' at the prompt. Over-the-phone troubleshooting can be completed and should a field technician visit be required, can be arranged also

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

When you go into the Router/Modem homepage http://10.0.0.138 what is it showing as the maximum sync rate (maximum connection rate) and actual sync rate?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

i havent yet but it used to be around 3.0 mbps download and 0.9 upload and now recently it has gone down to the speed stated.

sometimes it even goes down to 0.8 mpbs download?

thanks

Highlighted

That sounds like congestion at the excahnge, rather than any equipment fault.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Okay how when it's always like that at anytime of the day or night.

It's supposed to be adsl2+ not adsl.

Frustrating as it takes so long to load movies or play online gaming.
Highlighted

You do have an ADSL2+ connection, as otherwise the upl0ad speed would be less than 384kbps (the limit of an ADSL connection).

Would really need to see the modem conenction stats to be able to offer any other ideas.

Highlighted

I tried the link but doesn't load.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi scootr1,

Welcome to CrowdSupport,

ADSL as a technology has limitations as to the speeds that it is capable of provisioning. The speeds achieved are dependent on a number of factors, but the largest one is the cable distance from your premises to the ADSL equipment itself. Maximum theoretical speeds can be found at: Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity)

For our technicians to investigate this for you and ensure you are getting the most out of your connection, I would strongly recommend making contact with us directly via 133 933 and stating 'ADSL' at the prompt. Over-the-phone troubleshooting can be completed and should a field technician visit be required, can be arranged also

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

How do  you actually check the sync?  I would love to know.   

Highlighted

Which model modem do you have?

Highlighted

I have a Belkin Wi-Fi modem.

My internet speed is still 1.6Mbps upload and 0.42 down.

I'm not for from the exchange.

I have other friends with optus that live further away from the exchange then me and they manage with a average speed of 5mbps.
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hmmm! I live in Boronia Vic. I'm getting Mpbs speed 1.7! Terrible. Technician coming out during the week. Too slow for Netflix and cannot regularly get Foxtel On Demand. Lousy infrastructure l reckon.
Highlighted

I'm getting tired of this slow internet.

It is the infrastructure Mimi4.

This is what my router says:

ISP Connection Type Dynamic/Fixed IP (1483 Bridge)
WAN IP Address 101.186.85.128
WAN Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
WAN Gateway 101.186.255.254
DNS Address 61.9.242.1
WAN MAC Address EC:1A:59:B7:7E:15
Local Network
LAN IP Address 192.168.2.1
LAN Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server On
LAN/WLAN MAC EC:1A:59:B7:7E:14
ADSL
Connection Type Interleave Path
Status Show time
Down Up
Data Rate 3520 kbps 704 kbps
Noise Margin 13.5 dB 9.0 dB
Output Power 20.2 dbm 12.3 dbm
Attenuation 40.8 dB 28.5 dB
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

it looks like this hasn't been resolved.......so pathetic of a service and technical knowhow this telstra people nowadays. looking elsewhere too! 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

PATHETIC AND AWFUL SERVICE, BUT REALLY QUICK IN GIVING YOU A BADGE FOR POSTING A COMMENT HERE.........GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER TELSTRA!

Spoiler
Man Frustrated
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi octopus1965, 

We're happy to help you out with this.

To start with please take a look at our Service Status page. On this page you can view any known issues or network faults our technicians are working on in your area.

If there are no outages listed in your area then your next step will be to try this online troubleshooting tool. If the troubleshooting steps this tool takes you through doesn't locate and resolve your speed issue, it will then provide you with a reference number that you can give to the Tech Support consultant when you call on 133 933. This reference number will allow the consultant to skip those steps that you have already completed so that they do not need to be repeated.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit