Taswulf
Level 2: Rookie

VOIP Phone not working

Hi, I have the Telstra F@st5355 gateway and had to reset it the other day. I restarted it and the internet connection is fine. However despite saying my phone is registered all I can get is the dialtone, the dial out tone and then a non stop screeching. I also can't receive any calls.  I'm loathe to call support by phone as I only have a PAYG mobile and it will cost me a mint.

BTW the phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8561AZ cordless.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: VOIP Phone not working

I would start by resetting the modem again. Something has gone wrong internally with the coding and that is why you are getting screeching.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Taswulf

Thanks Jupiter, I've already reset it and now it's carked it completely. No NBN connection at all. I'm online now with a TP-Link modem/router that I have spare. Unfortunately I can't use it for VOIP as Telstra won't make the settings available. Any idea who I contact about a replacement gateway ?

Jupiter

You can either send a message using the My Telstra pp on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen), or Livechat. If Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get a response, so using the app on your mobile is better as you get a notification when someone responds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Taswulf

Thanks mate, I'll try that.

Taswulf

Jupiter, I'd just like to say thanks for the advice. Tech support was a total waste of time & I've made my own arrangements.

Jupiter

That's disappointing, it should be a very straightforward process to get a replacement modem.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit