Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

VPN not working on Gateway Max 2

Telstra sent me a replacement modem because my Gateway Max TG799vac had to be restarted once a week to keep it working. The new Gateway Max 2 TG800vac is working fine except I can no longer use my VPN to my office.

The VPN connects ok, but I cannot connect over it, Remote access fails.

If I teather my PC or Laptop to my phone it all works fine but not using my new modem on the NBN.

I have rung Telstra and get the standard run arround and no help. Told to contact my office IT person, not much use as that is me. Just a bunch of robots on the phone reading a script and not willing to listen or help. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: VPN not working on Gateway Max 2

Hmmm... Interesting... My 799vac works perfectly OK with Palo Alto Global Protect VPN and there was report that it does not work wit CISCO, however TG800vac does (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Max-drops-VPN-after-20-second...). Can you report VPN system you are using for the reference?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am using Shrewsoft free VPN client and a cisco.pcf. Had to use Slysoft as Cisco client won't work with windows 10.

This works fine with my old Gateway Max modem which was replaced as it is having some issues.

I just reconnected the old modem for a test and the VPN works fine over it.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Bummer, we have just decommissioned our old, sort of archaic CISCO device few days ago, so I do not have any way of testing... But it sounds weird to me...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit