BaysideBogan
Level 2: Rookie

VPN running on second router how to get Sagemcom DECT handset working ?

Hi,

I would like to have a VPN on a second router with that being the router that connects to the NBN WAN modem thru its WAN port. Telstra router is Sagemcom FAST 5355 connected via its WAN port to the first modems LAN port. I really need to keep the DECT landline still. NBN connection is hybrid fibre/coax.

I basically have it working except for the landline (although speedtest is not great).  I see in cf4's manual (thanks for that) there is diagram in section 22 

(can't put up a link sorry).

But obviously the telephone socket at the top doesn't exist with my setup.

Any way to do it ?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: VPN running on second router how to get Sagemcom DECT handset working ?

The diagram is for a NBN FTTN/B connection. The same setup should work for NBN HFC except the primary router's WAN port is connected to NBN modem instead of the DSL port being connected to phone port.

One thing to check is that both the F@st5355 and the primary router don't use the same LAN subset (10.0.0.xxx). If there are problems with incoming calls search for a SIP ALG settings in the primary router and change the setting.

BaysideBogan

Thanks, that what I have including a different LAN subset for each router. 

I will check the SIP settings in the primary router and revert back with my findings.

Cheers.

BaysideBogan

There are no SIP settings on my other router. It's an  ADSL/DSL router (Asus DSL-AC68U)

But it looks like it may be able to be done using UDP port forwarding.

I need to know the local/listen ports on the Telstra modem - do you know if they are they the default SIP=5060 and RTP=5004 - 5020 ?

Thanks again.

cf4

It would be easier just to place the Telstra modem in the DMZ of the Asus DSL-AC68U. This will port forward any port that does not have a port forwarding rule set up for it.

The link below shows were SIP ALG is located in the AC55U. In might be in same location on your modem.

http://www.surevoip.co.uk/support/wiki/troubleshooting:sip_alg:asus_dsl-n16

BaysideBogan

Yep - the SIP setting was in the same place. Thanks . Didn't think to look under NAT. It is enabled, so it should let the phone through. 

Will look at a DMZ if all else fails. 

Thanks again.

cf4

In the link they recommend setting it to disabled. If it was already enabled have you tried setting SIP ALG to disabled?

One thing I failed to mention in first post is that F@st5355 should first be connected to NBN NTD directly until phone light turns green indicating that the VOIP has been configured in the modem. The F@st5355 should then retain the VOIP configuration even if factory reset.

BaysideBogan

Thanks.

I thought disabling SIP ALG did the trick as I now how have ringtone on the landline but can't get or make calls.

Anything else you cna think of apart from setting up a DMZ ?

Also do you know if there is a way to save the config on theFAST5355 ? Doesn't seem to be a feature.

Cheers.

cf4

There use to be the ability to save the F@st5355 configurations but that was removed by Telstra as it tendend to save a hidden setting that caused problems on some connections if the backup file was restored. Typical Telstra instead of removing setting from the backup through disabled the whole backup function.

There is nothing else I can think of apart from putting F@st5355 in DMZ of main router.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit