AndyHar
Level 2: Rookie

WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count

i'm currently going around the houses with IT support on my internet dropping out over and over again.

when checking the log file is see this repeated 

12.10.2021 16:29:12 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
12.10.2021 16:29:05 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
12.10.2021 16:28:41 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
12.10.2021 16:28:04 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 3
12.10.2021 16:27:41 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
12.10.2021 16:27:34 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
12.10.2021 16:27:11 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
12.10.2021 16:27:04 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1

it works for a while then drops....

i've been told on a couple of occasions that they cannot see an issue so they will monitor for 24 hours and come back to me - they never come back to me, they just close the fault and say its resolved.

today, i was told to factory reset - and you guessed it, wait for 24 hours for things to settle down...

has anyone had  this problem?? - i'm about to head to another provider!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count

You could try forcing the modem into 4G Backup mode by removing the cable from either the grey DSL or red WAN port and waiting a few minutes for the modem to switch over to 4G (steady blue light on the front) and see if the dropouts continue to occur.

In 4G Backup, the connecion might be slower than you are used to and you might also need to change the LTE PDP setting to IPv4IPv6 to get full access to internet sites..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
VietD

We experience about 200 of these a day (mainly between 10am-1pm 7pm-12am)

Sadly we've had this issue for over a year, ever since we were on cable and also once migrated to NBN. I'd suggest not wasting your time with 1st or 2nd level tech support as there is likely nothing wrong with your equipment and request for a higher up Customer SME Manager who can deal with NBN directly. If there is no progress I'd suggest going to the TIO who will be able to liase directly with Telstra on your behalf for an investigation on the issue. 

We went through the whole process of constantly being told it is our equipment and devices being the issue as they cannot see any connection issues on the Telstra side and wasted countless hours trying to explain to many different people. We've installed 2 new NBN boxes and 3 telstra smart modems and have had many Telstra tech visits

It is likely a NBN issue so unsure if changing ISPs will help. Other posts in the forum suggest NBN changed the cabling somewhere other than inside their home which resolved the issue but getting to this point is rather difficult (NBN have visited us many times, to either change the NBN black box/inner home cabling/outer NBN signal box receiver) with no interest in changing/investigating cabling outside the home as they still believe it to be equipment/devices being the issue

In the meantime I'd suggest buying a wireless connection 4g/5g as we have had to do for work as the NBN connection is completely unstable and unusable at times

LauraBee
Support Team
Support Team

Sounds like it's been a bit all over the place for you. When the teams have made changes to the service, or to your equipment, has there been any improvement? Even if just temporarily.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

VietD

Short answer is no. There has however been days where there are low number of error log drop outs; less than 10 - but appears to be just completely random days with no interaction with telstra or NBN during those days

ACroker
Support Team
Support Team

I just wanted to let you know that you're welcome to contact us over the social channels if you need support with anything. We're available 24 x 7 so please feel free to get in touch with us there if we can be of assistance or if you need to query anything.

- Ash

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit