CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

WAN light not showing + absolutely crap service from NBN and Telstra

Absolute horrible NBN service. The technicians and the people at NBN prefers to run test while sitting on a computer and say the test passed so the connection is good to go. However, the appointment notes clearly says that the NTD box has problems and needs to be checked on which would require a technician to come in the house and check it out. But I am guessing they are too lazy. This is the second time that has happened with the NBN appointment. We had 6 NBN and Telstra technician appointment combined so far and no one seems to solve the problem. They just want to blame each other and I as a consumer has to suffer. This is absolutely ridiculous. I called Telstra more than 20 times now and I have to explain the same situation over an over again and everyone gives a different answer but none are qualified to actually give a proper resolution. If the technician can't help nor the people over the phone. Where am I supposed to go? At this point might as well cancel the order and move on to other providers.

THE PROBLEM: WAN light not lighting. And I'm on NBN HFC connection. The technician said "it maybe due to data not flowing through from the NBN box to the Telstra modem. And yes the modem has been replaced several times.

Does anyone here actually know what the problem is and how it can be resolved?

At this point I'm basically giving up.

Thanks!

J.V

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: WAN light not showing + absolutely crap service from NBN and Telstra

It could either be the NBN NTD or the incoming connection from the street to the NBN NTD if the Telstra modem has been eliminated as the problem. Both of which require an NBN Co technician to fix. 

Have you tried plugging a computer directly in to the NBN NTD? If it doesn't connect to the internet then the problem lies on the NBN side of the equation. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

The NBN people already ran the test and say its passed so unlikely it would be the problem from the street. I’m guessing its the NTD box or even the d1 port of the box.

I’ve tried plugging in my computer to the NTD box through PPPOE connection but I’m unable to do it due to not having username and password. 
i called them and they said wait for appointment 

The people over at NBN aren’t ready to accept that its a fault in their end which is really frustrating 

J.V
Highlighted

There is no username or password required on an FTTP connection (it's a DHCP connection, not PPPoE).

NBN Co may have even connected you to one of the other D port as well, instead of D1.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Well my connection is HFC as mentioned in the post. So that idea is eliminated 

J.V
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Has your NBN order completed? You can call 1800 834 273 and say check order and they can confirm if the order has completed. If the order has completed another fault will need to be raised.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

The order isn’t completed. They put my order on hold for some reason that now I can’t even use the mobile mode of the modem

J.V
Highlighted

That will be why its not working, if the NBN service isn't provisioned there will be no data connection.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I’m sorry but No, I’ve mentioned it in the post. They put the order on hold because of this problem. The problem was still there when the order was in process. 

can anyone please help?

J.V
Highlighted

Plugging a laptop in to the HFC NTD is the same as for FTTP, it's a DHCP and not a PPPoE connection.

If you can't get a connection that way, then it is definitely going to need an NBN Co visit to figure out what is going wrong.

Highlighted

I’ve made a complaint. And now due to that they have run troubleshooting and found some internal problems with the IT systems (from what they said). I’m still waiting on a reply from them. But it’s still ridiculous that they weren’t able to find it before but only after I’ve made a complaint 

J.V
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have similar issue,  nbn and Telstra is crap.  I’ve willingly paid my bill and that is a mistake as I don’t get the service.  Can not get my Netflix or YouTube.  Continually buffers and says come back later.  What am I paying for??? 
Now you can’t Talk to anyone or chat on the app so they are uncontactable!  When everyone else is trying to help the community at this time Telstra respond by  providing no service at all.  providing no 

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@CK1745 wrote:

I have similar issue,  nbn and Telstra is crap.  I’ve willingly paid my bill and that is a mistake as I don’t get the service.  Can not get my Netflix or YouTube.  Continually buffers and says come back later.  What am I paying for??? 
Now you can’t Talk to anyone or chat on the app so they are uncontactable!  When everyone else is trying to help the community at this time Telstra respond by  providing no service at all.  providing no 

I had no cable internet for a month - only 4G backup was working. Yes it's very frustrating but you need a backup plan. Do you have a Telstra modem with 4G failover?

Also, make sure you record when the service is down and get credit applied to your bill. Keep trying to get through. I found the callback service worked after two days. Very busy time for them and everyone I think.

Hope this helps?

If I have helped please click Like! :-)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit