weedie
Level 1: Cadet

What do aged pensioners do when existing Telstra Home Phone is disconnected to make way for NBN

What options does an aged pensioner have when their existing home phone is to be disconnected to make way for NBN if they have never used a computer and are no interested in learning to at 96 years of age?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: What do aged pensioners do when existing Telstra Home Phone is disconnected to make way for NBN

You can get a Voice Only service over the NBN.

If it is an FTTN, FTTB, HFC area then it will have to be provided via a modem as a VoIP service, but it would be configured to be only voice with no internet.

If it is an FTTP or Fixed Wireless area there might be alternative options available.

The Govt regulated that everyone had to move, so everyone is being forced to move or end up with nothing. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: What do aged pensioners do when existing Telstra Home Phone is disconnected to make way for NBN

There are phone only plans available using the NBN network.

If you are a existing Telstra customer there is no cost for transferring to NBN and you can stay on your existing plan with the same concessions for  the pension customers,'

The link be low shows the details of Telstra phone only plans

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/plans-rates

chrodo
Level 9: Captain

As a tech I can tell you for shore that the bigest change is that your phone will need to be a powered phone , that will connect threw the modem instead of strait into the phone socket (if you lose power you will lose phone conection) .

Telstra can also bundle a hand set that will sync with wi-fi with there Modem bundle.

Most have easy instructions to follow to set them up.(As a tech I will set this up for the elderly, not all will but I do as I feel that it is part of customer service).

There was also techs in my region that were sent out to do this for older customers as part of the NBN role out .

Just ring and let Telstra know that you will need a tech to help with set up (this may incure a charge ) and it can be arranged.

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit