Bourkie
Level 2: Rookie

What upload / upstream speed should Cable be giving me?

OK so I was a bit spoiled in San Francisco for the past couple of years with 100+ Mbps upstream bandwidth, however I was a little shocked to say the least that the maximum I am seeing from my (more expensive) Telstra Cable service is 1.1 Mbps (that works out to 135 kilobytes / second, or about 75 seconds to upload a 10MB file)...  my work involves high-definition video content and other large files - so this Telstra service is not what I would put into the category of 'Broadband'!

What is the expected upstream speed for Telstra Cable?   I have seen 2.4 Mbps mentioned in some internet posts - but nothing concrete on the Telstra website?

Thanks,

Richard

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Bourkie

Re: What upload / upstream speed should Cable be giving me?

(I am observing 36 Mbps downstream - so this issue seems specific to upstream bandwith)

Glockers

I have Ultimate which is supposedly their premium service - I get 2Mbs at best, frequently less.

More recently the flakiness in my service has become appalling. Latency of 86ms!

Bourkie

Yes latency isn't a strong point either; I'm seeing about 150ms on average to my Californian servers.

JesseS
Support Team
Support Team

The maximum upload speeds on a cable service with a speed boost are 2 Mbps, which is also the highest upload speed we offer across all of our fixed consumer plans. In some cases you may see your speeds slightly higher than this. 

The ping you are seeing to the US is normal, this is due to the distance between Australia and the US. It does take some time to transmit the data over the great distance between us.

You may be able to get higher upload speeds with a Telstra Business service but you would need to speak with them about a suitable solution. Recommend calling them on 132 000 and they will be able to provide further information.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit