RayWilk
Level 1: Cadet

Where is the best place to position my Telstra Smart Modem?

I've had the nbn on for maybe 2 years and always had the modem close to the phone socket. I now have a Smart Modem and the 'phone' light is orange (sometimes red). If I move the modem to a position in the centre of the house I will have to have a 4 metre cable from the socket (unless I get the socket moved) to gthe new position. Is this OK. Any help will be appreciated. TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Where is the best place to position my Telstra Smart Modem?

The modem should still work with a 4 Meter cable but there might be a slight reduction in speed if your link actual sync rate is close to or equal to the maximum link sync rate.. I have down some test and a 25 Meter cable drops the speed on my link from 48 Mbps using a 1.5 Meter cable to 40 Mbps. A 4 Mbps cable might drop the speed by a few Mbps.

If you have the Technicolor modem the actual sync rate and maximum sync rate can be viewed by logging into modem and going to Advanced > Broadband.

DSL link 49 Mbps

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Where is the best place to position my Telstra Smart Modem?

Hi - are you referring to the Mobile Signal Strength LED which is only in use when your NBN service is down and 4G BackUp auto activates and not the Phone LED which is always Green if you have an active telephone line.

Orange = Good 4G Signal

Red = Poor 4G Signal which may still work

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit