togax
Level 4: Private Eye

Who to call to remove 3-way splitter and amplifier

Answered

A long time ago I had someone from either Telstra or FOXTEL (can’t remember which one) who came to fix an issue with a poor quality incoming signal. I had two FOXTEL boxes so they decided to put in place a Zinwell HDA amplifier to boost the signal coming through the 3-way splitter. This was before the days of NBN. Now I am on NBN and everything is still working fine, including FOXTEL. I also now have only one FOXTEL box not two. I am planning to get rid of that too some day and possibly switch over to Telstra “FOXTEL Now” or some other Internet based service for entertainment and education purposes (or just stick to using Internet apps to display the stuff I’m interested in onto the smart TV, such as YT). So, who do I call (at cost probably) to check it out, Telstra or NBN, and remove the 3-way splitter and amplifier so all I would have is one active cable feeding the NBN box leaving the other two cables disconnected? It’s possible that even with no splitter the signal is too weak in which case they will need to install a new amplifier since the Zinwell one is no longer available and serviceable. That’s up to the technician. All I need to know now is who do I call to remove the existing splitter/amplifier and check things out? Telstra or NBN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Who to call to remove 3-way splitter and amplifier

You would need to contact Telstra, as NBN Co do not deal directly with the public.

And yes, because it is not dealing with a fault, then there will almost certainly be a callout charge but they should advise you of that when you ask for a technician's visit.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

You would need to contact Telstra, as NBN Co do not deal directly with the public.

And yes, because it is not dealing with a fault, then there will almost certainly be a callout charge but they should advise you of that when you ask for a technician's visit.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

togax

Thank you so much. At least now I now for sure who to contact. As for the call out fee, yes I expected that but IMHO it's not right since I didn't ask for it and it was their solution to fix a fault. I will argue that point when I call them and that if I left it in place until it died I would log it is as a fault and they would have to do the same ting anyway without charge. Perhaps that's what I will do. Just wait for the amp to die then they have no choice but to remove things.

Jupiter

Zinwell still supply equipment for NBN HFC, so if it's not faulty they wouldn't see any reason to remove it or change it over. To remove it, it's just a case of turning off the power supply, unscrewing the cables and then reconnect the incoming cable to your NBN Box. It shouldn't even need a technician to do it.

togax

That's unusual since I've tried to find a replacement power supply TE14VDC300, which is likely the first thing that will fail but they are no longer available. I've been told by one supplier the Kingray PSK12F is a suitable replacement but have been warned it's 12 V not 14 V so depending on the length of cable it might not work, but I suspect it will. Still I would prefer not to have the in-line amp at all so I know what to do as you said but that's illegal :-) I do have experience in installing cables, including single and multi-mode fibre going back a long way but now retired.

Jupiter

The amplifier is classified as customer side equipment as it is on the customer side of the connection boundary, so it is treated in the same manner as a modem. As there are no terminations to be done (it is a standard screw connection), then it is OK to disconnect as it is not classed as cabling works.

As far as the power supply goes, they are a 12-16V 300mA device and the Kingray PSK12F is 12V 500mA, so it should work fine (plus it's recommended by the supplier anyway). You shouldn't get a noticeable voltage drop over a few metres of cabling.

While the amplifier is working, I would just leave it operational if your connection is working OK. Worry about it when it gives up the ghost as then it becomes a service fault and will be rectified free of charge.

togax

I think that’s what I’ll end up doing – just leave it until it fails but I will buy the Kingray power supply to check it out and use it as a spare if it works. It doesn’t cost much. I would then have little or no down time.

As for the power supply being on the side of the customer, yes disconnecting it would be fine when I decide not to keep my remaining FOXTEL box. The question is would the incoming signal from the street be OK to feed the NBN box, the only device that would be plugged into one of the three wall sockets inside? Or will I still have to get someone to remove the 3-way splitter inside the grey junction box outside the house? I suppose I could try that later to find out if it will work with the splitter left in place and the FOXTEL system disconnected from its wall socket.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit