HipBlink
Level 2: Rookie

Why can I not get a fixed-line internet service at my address?

Our family moved residence to Buccan, 4207, QLD just over a year ago and since moving to this location we have repeatedly inquired with Telstra about getting a fixed-line internet connection. Several seperate and very long phone calls to sales representatives and technicians resulted in a plethora of different excuses at to why our address cannot be connected to any sort of fixed Telstra internet service. Some of the excuses that we have been given as to why a connection is not possible to our address include limited port availability, lack of infrastructure and a possible pre-existing connection to an already full, Edens Landing DSLAM/Exchange(?)

The sheer necessity of a high-speed broadband internet connection in our rapidly developing society makes it very, very difficult for a family to function, especially in regards to working from home and childrens schooling, which I'm sure anyone reading this thread with similar issues will understand.  The only source of broadband internet we have been able to access is the XL Mobile Broadband plans of 15gb/month on 4G Capable wireless modems. These modems, although being 4G Capable do not consistently hold a strong 4G connection and regularly drop into 3G and H+ connection statuses making an efficient and constant working session difficult, this is understandable due to the locale of this area, however I cannot justify paying upwards of $100 per month for a mere 15GB of data, which is insufficient for a family, when any other homes with access to a fixed-line connection can get a massive 200GB of data a month for less cost. 

After beginning to look into this matter myself, I discovered that, according to the Telstra 'Home Broadband Range' our neighbours are eligible to receive ADSL Broadband, as seen in this image; Buccan Internet Evidence 3.jpg

However when searching with our address, this message is recieved; Buccan Internet Evidence 4.jpg

Seeing this information prompted me to look further into the situation, leading to an investigation into DSLAM reports and the current state of port availability at the exchange/DSLAM that our address is supplied by, as shown in an 'Available ADSL Capacity at Exchanges' document. According to the ADSL2+ Exchange information page at this address, our location (falling inside the black ellipse) has access to available ports, as seen in this image; Buccan Internet Evidence 1.jpg

The included information that has been attached to the bottom of that file shows that the service provided as Telstra ADSL2+ has limited ports, however as according to the information attached below that, there is no coloured dot on my address indicating my phone line being able to, hypothetically support an ADSL2+ connection.

After viewing this information I looked further into the source for this map, finding the official Tesltra 'Available ADSL Capacity at Exchanges' Excel document downloadable at this address under the name 'Available ADSL Capacity - Exchanges', with this documents latest revision being 9 days prior (2/12/14) to this threads writing. The image includes information about the exchange that 'covers' our location; Buccan Internet Evidence 2.jpg

The yellow highlighted information being relevant to this discussion. As stated by this document, which latest revision was 9 days ago, there are 1674 available ports, (seen in right-most column) for a densely populated area.

I'm sure readers will understand our family’s frustration with having to cope with a mere 15GB data limit. Before it is suggested, we have looked into the 25GB option, however the increase in price to almost $200 per mont for this service is unreasonable.  We cannot understand why we should have to pay much more than other customers in our area, for much less data, with a much less reliable connection. 

Thus leading us to look into possible fibre optic internet (NBN) Connection, however our location is not included in the current 3 year plan. Why is it areas currently enabled with fixed line internet services are in line to receive upgrades before areas with extremely limited or no connections at all.

As you can tell by the nature this thread has been written, it is a pressing matter that is extremely frustrating to deal with and a further considerable amount of time has been invested into both compiling this information and writing this thread in an attempt to receive a reasonable explanation and positive outcome.

Our family, and others in our local area, are eagerly awaiting assistance from Telstra about the possibility of a fixed-line (ADSL/2+) connection/service to our home/area, and we would greatly appreciate a clear, extensive and concise response as to why our location is not serviced with a fixed-line connection and why any such service will take as long as another 6+ years to be available.

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Why can I not get a fixed-line internet service at my address?

Hi HipBlink,

Its hard to say which exchange you're connected to as it depends on the address (It could be one of the following WTFD, LOGA, BEEL, WNRO, WENE)

The most recent upgrade was done in November for Beenleigh.

You can check what's available at your address via http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do 

If it's available, the best thing to do, is place an order with our sales team. They're available on  1800 709 957

There can be many reasons why ADSL may not be available at a particular address I.E. port availability, line quality, distance from the exchange.

You can also check when NBN will be available at your address via http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

Please let me know if you have any further enquiries

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

HipBlink

Hi Shannon, thanks for the reply.

So if I provided you with my address could you tell me what the problem is, and how long it will take for it to be resolved?

Also, If you or any other moderators/operators of this forum cannot give me a solution to my problem, or it seems that the problem is a physical malfunction, as a telstra pit is located directly outside our house between the fence and the street, is there any way to request a technician to come and inspect the location and give us any more information on the issue?

With 2 children starting senior schooling this year and the increasing demand for online tuition through schools, it is becoming more and more difficult to operate with such terrible access to broadband internet, in our own home.

Thank you.

Dani39
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the reply HipBlink and completely understand the need for fast, reliable broadband. 

As Shannon has advised, the best place to discuss your options is with our Sales team in 1800 709 957 or via chat at http://tel.st/hsc3

They can run a search on your address and advise what services are available 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

HipBlink

Hi Dani,

After speaking with a sales representative I have been advised that there are no available ports at my address. I was mostly sure this would be the situation, and this only adds to the frustration of our family.

Just because we live in an area considered 'rural' we are treated with terrible access to any kind of fixed line internet connection at all. Is there any way for our family to recieve any kind of compensation for the fact that we cannot be supplied with the same quality and quantity of internet that most other people within a 50km radius of our house, can get?

I do not understand why we have to deal with the comparatively tiny data amounts of the mobile broadband modems, and cannot even get a matched data quantity, seeing as we pay much more than the regular household to achieve not even a quarter of the data provided by one of the smallest residential ADSL bundles.

I understand that these modems are intended for mobile use and this is why they are priced up, but the modems never leave our address which I'm sure some Telstra employee with access to IP tracking programs can clarify, they are soley for our home internet, and our family is grealty inconvinienced by the lack of ports to our area. 

Is there any way that we can request a port increase for our exchange, or any similar avenue to even slightly shorten the time our family has to wait for internet so that they can keep up with colleagues and peers in terms of schooling and work? As our location is not on NBN's 3 year plan, which gives us at least 3 more years until we can access high       data-limit broadband services, and by then who knows how much more technologically integrated our society will become.

Any information as to who we can talk with to try and achieve any kind of comparitvely capable internet services would be greatly appreciated, as would any information about the status of increasing port availability.

Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi HipBlink,

You aren't able to request for more ports to be added, however we are still doing exchange upgrade works so it is possible that your exchange will have more ports added. You can see all of the latest information about recently completed and upcoming works in your area here: http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

HipBlink

Hi,

Thanks Ashley for that recommendation.

Looking through the 'Planned ADSL capacity increases - Exchanges' Excel document, it shows that our exchange, WTFD, had ISAM ports capable of 20Mbps increased during Oct-2014, however we are still being told that there are no ports available.

I do not understand how after an exchange upgrade there are still no available ports, unless the port increase is something like 5 extra ports, or some other non-sense that doesn't really help anyone, and if it is a case of first in, best dressed, I am still confused because I have checked the home broadband coverage service on a bi-weekly basis for almost 18 months now.

Is there a way for a technician to do a line check for our address? Because as I stated in the opening post, our neighbours on our very street, according to the 'check coverage' service, can access ADSL internet, however all we can get is a phone line, and even after an exchange port increase we still cannot access ADSL internet.

The lack of any sort of waiting list or any indication that we will actually ever get a fixed-line service at this home worries me and my family, and I fear that the lack of high-speed, and high data allowance internet is going to affect our child's endeavours in Year 12 and online study as an undergraduate.

Further information about this would be again, greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

G'day HipBlink,

The best way to find out if ADSL is available to you there is to submit an order. Sometimes online availability checkers can be out of date, so I would recommend submitting an order and seeing how you go.

-Dylan

HipBlink

Hey thedylan,

Thanks for that suggestion, but I am unable to make an order as the home broadband shop page does not permit me from submitting one as it states a broadband may not be available in my area.

Thanks.

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I would recommend giving us a call on 132200 to try that then.

charli31
Level 1: Cadet

I completely understand your predicament. I am experiencing the same problems also in Buccan. We are in a newly developed estate and the sales pitch for the land included ADSL coverage and yet to my deep frustration I have been repeatedly told by Telstra that there is no available ADSL service and that there will be none as Telstra does not want to spend money installing redundant technology as the NBN will be rolled out. But Buccan is still NOT in the NBN rollout and I refuse to pay for mobile broadband service. I cannot believe that less than 2km down the road they have full ADSL 2+ coverage and we can get nothing.

POOR SHOW TELSTRA very disappointed.

Dave81

Same here. Been living in Buccan for over 15 years and still no broadband. Absolutely shocking if you ask me considering how important it is these days. My wife was studying via distance but had to stop due to unreliable and expensive charges for wireless internet!!!

HipBlink

The worst part for me is the NBN Rollout Map doesn't even have us on the 3 year plan. It is advertised as prioritising locals without access to home broadband, and we aren't included.

I'm sure that plenty of the residences that already have access to the NBN can more than likey access the extremely cost ineffective Mobile Broadband plans, but like your example Dave, it restricts beyond compromisation what we can do in terms of personal, educational and occupational participation.

I have been told the same things Charli31 and it is ridiculous. You think that it would be a profit for them, considering the 'redundant' technology would be the only way for us to get ADSL internet, for at least 3 years, and knowing my luck it will probably take longer than 3 years for the NBN to reach us, simply because almost every suburb adjacent to Buccan can recieve ADSL internet.

It really is just plainly unfair. If there was a way to request NBN connectivity, I would have done it so many times over. With all the new estates being built in the area I really don't understand why there isn't significant upgrades going into exchanges, or even an entire new exchange being built to compensate for the rapidly growing demand for fixed-line internet in Buccan and surrounding areas where the several estates are coming up.

The amount of people moving to this area, and therefore the demand for FAST, RELIABLE, HIGH-ALLOWANCE internet services is only increasing in this area, and I hope the people in charge really take notice of this and help us out as soon as they can.

Mitch6

I'm having the same problem too. I live in Shepparton vic. My estate is 5 years old and no adsl. Luckily for me I'm getting non soon. But I've been on wireless broadband the whole time and it's unreliable. Ridiculously priced. And even though you pay extra for wireless You don't get the 3 free top ups per year like ADSL. No one from Telstra has been able to give me a reason as to why this is. Quite pathetic on telstra's behalf

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit