Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

why does my internet drop out when the phone rings

Everytime the landline phone is in use, the internet disconnects and the eco light on the modem goes red

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: why does my internet drop out when the phone rings

Usually because of the way the house is wired up.  Do you have the Phone plugged in to the primary socket and the modem in to another socket somewhere else in the house?  If it is wired up incorrectly, when the phone rings it will disconnect the other outlets.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Yeah thats how it is. So if its like that essentially im screwed?
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

No. Just make sure both sockets have an inline filter installed on them. That will normally solve your problem. Smiley Happy
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

You could get an electrician around to rewire the sockets so this doesn't happen.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Yeah but inline is often cheaper and easier than a central splitter/filter with a visit from a sparky.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

Kalak,

The inline filter may not work.  At my old house, because of the way the wiring was originally done, when the phone was picked up on the primary socket, it physically disconnected the other sockets.  An inline filter doesn't help in this case.  The wiring needs to be changed so that the other sockets remain active when a call is in progress at the primary socket.  Note: in this case, if you switch the modem and the phone around so that the modem is on the primary socket then the problem is also solved but the primary socket may not be in a place where the modem can be connected easily.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit