Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Why does my NBN drop out at 10am everyday?

We've had NBN broadband for 2 years. The first year was absolutely fine, then the second year we started to get a few drop outs (and our neighbours do too), but for the last few weeks we have had regular drop outs. Almost every morning at around 10am I get a text saying 'Hi, Your Telstra Smart Modem has recently switched over to Telstras Mobile Network. If your landline is affect and your need it urgently call us on 132 203"
 The chat support gets nowhere, the online line test fails every time (even if a drop out isn't occurring) and the telephone support disconnects after being on hold for a few minutes. 
 I don't really care about a drop out when watching a movie, but now that the kids are having to use Google Classroom to home school it's becoming a real issue. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Why does my NBN drop out at 10am everyday?

Any ideas? 

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Re: Why does my NBN drop out at 10am everyday?

Hi - sorry to see all avenues for resolution have not synchronised well. Unfortunately you will have to officially report this as fault to the Telstra Call Centre so that they can remote diagnose and then pass on to NBN for investigation and correction.

Intermittent faults are frustrating to pin down but if you are now getting daily network dropouts, discounting loose cable connections in home and footpath pits, factors outside your home area are likely to be the cause. One of my neighbours had three visits to his home from NBN over 10 days to address extremely slow download but normal upload. On two occasions they replaced the NBN HFC modem and blamed the ISP's modem, the ISP blamed NBN and my neighbour caught in the middle.

On the third NBN visit they wanted to replace their modem again but I showed them the in excess of 50% packet loss figures when the PC was connected directly to their Arris HFC modem for Internet but did not suffer same fate when it connected to the ISP's address. They finally cleared the fault after a 15 minute conversation the NBN tech had with someone in their Network Control centre, confirming our suspicions.  

Your modem's Diagnostic Event Logs may show some hints at 10 am but it may just say WAN down or similar.  

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit