SBM
Level 2: Rookie

Why doesn't Telstra offer NBN plans over 100mbps when other providers do?

Answered

I have NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial through Telstra. The fastest plan Telstra offers is 100mbps and i had 40mbps upload. I've now been told my plan will change and i'll only get 20mbps upload. This has prompted me to start looking at a new provider.

Multiple other providers have confirmed they can offer me plans of 200-250mbps download (with at least 40mbps upload). My friend with a copper connection will get speeds over 200mbps downloading the same things I do where 100mbps is the best I'll get with cable.

Firstly, why are you making my service worse by lowering my upload speed? And secondly, why doesn't Telstra (Australia's leading telecommunications company supposedly) offer worse speed plans than other providers?

I've been trying to get an answer to this on chat looking for alternatives for faster download/upload speeds from Telstra and if they can't offer that, why? I keep getting the run around on chat as they obviously don't want me to leave as a customer (but I'm starting to get dissatisfied with Telstra's NBN offerings).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Why doesn't Telstra offer NBN plans over 100mbps when other providers do?

If you type your address in via https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn-plans what does it say under the Premium Plan?

It should come up with the available options:

eg

You should then be able to apply for the speed boost through the My Telstra app (via manage your plan).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter

Telstra does offer the faster speeds. The availability is determined by NBN Co and is limited to FTTP and certain HFC connections. They are addons to the Premium Plan and are called Superfast and Ultrafast (NBN terminology).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SBM

The only plans i can see and have been told about is the premium speed boost to 100mbps. I've asked multiple times if Telstra offers any faster speeds and i keep being told no. Also their website shows no plans over 100mbps.

Why do three other providers i've spoken to confirm i'm eligible for up to 250mbps plans, but telstra keeps telling me the fastest they have is 100mbps?

Jupiter

They will be working off the information that has been supplied to them by NBN Co. You could ask them to escalate the query to find out if NBN Co has reclassified your line.

SBM

The Telstra chat agents are refusing to look into it any further saying 100mbps is the best available. I've spoken on the phone to two other providers who've said mine is classified by NBN as being able to handle ultrafast over 250mbps (theoretically up to 1000mbps).

Pretty disappointing on Telstra's part here.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

If you type your address in via https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn-plans what does it say under the Premium Plan?

It should come up with the available options:

eg

You should then be able to apply for the speed boost through the My Telstra app (via manage your plan).

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit